• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feet preening

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that my lovie preens his foot. In the beginning it was just sometimes that he did that, the last week it was a bit more but today he did it for a good half an hour on my shoulder after I just got home, and I could not distract him in any way. He is not haring his foot in any way, but I am very worried it is stereotypical behavior, I try to do everything to get him active and enrichmed, he foragers for all his food and I try to feed him Anthing Healthy that he Will eat(he is om a reasonable diet right now, not Great but not bad, but I guess you could call it good).

I don't really get how it can be so reinforcement for him to peren his foot. If he preens it so much tomorrow again(I Will be home earlier then today so I can check how long he does it, Maybe it was just a coincedent but I don't think so) I Will take him to the vet.

I hope someone know why he does this!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Is he preening the actual foot or the nail? I ask cause maybe your sweetie needs a nail trim?

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
My GCC spends quite awhile on his feet sometimes. Enough that I had to check it out myself...nothing wrong. I do think he has a foot fetish though :lol:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Is he preening the actual foot or the nail? I ask cause maybe your sweetie needs a nail trim?
It is actually his foot, and mostly his left toe. I checked but his nails are not too long, thank you though!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My GCC spends quite awhile on his feet sometimes. Enough that I had to check it out myself...nothing wrong. I do think he has a foot fetish though :lol:
O good thank you! I am quite relieved to know he is not the only bird that does it! The rest of the evening there was no feet preening, so Maybe I just overreacted:laugh-bounce: I Will keep an extra eye on him tomorrow just to be sure!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Glad his nails are ok! I just mentioned it because sometimes my quaker gets obsessive about his nails and that's when I know it's time for a trim.

My little guy also preens his feet. When he does it sometimes he takes off a tiny pice of dry skin that looks like dandruff. I think it's normal. :laugh:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
It is so good to know! The last three weeks I saw him doing it regularly and I become a little worried that it was abnormal! So happy it isn't!