• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeling frustrated and worried.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of you know we have had a lot of renovations done to the house. Sunshine and Keene were moved to a bedroom /now birdroom due to noise and dust. They still get lots of out of cage time and interacting with us.
The renovation has taken 8 weeks. Now they have started on the bathroom renovations.
Just about a month ago I posted photos of the girls. They both were in beautiful feather.
Over night Keene had her feathers a mess! I was shocked! She has over preened, barbered her chest and back. Her personality is the same though. Happy and cuddly. I also have given both several new toys. I thought she may have been stressed by the new toys so I put her old ones back in. This has never been a problem in the past. Now she is still over preening. She is eating fine.
I have started daily baths, coconut oil added to fresh food.
I am hoping to see a change. If not I will do a vet check.
I am so afraid this will turn into a life long habit.
BTW, this is the first bird that has started plucking while in my care. I have had others that came to me that way but never developed in my care. Suggestions? Here are two photos 5her now..

IMG_20170109_120417.jpg

IMG_20170109_120350.jpg

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I don't have experience in birds that pluck, but it may just be the noise and stress of the renovations causing it? I really hope it doesn't become a habit either and I wish you both the best in finding a solution to the problem. :sadhug2:
I think it's notable that her personality hasn't changed either, and maybe that's a silver lining to the dark cloud?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Stress for sure, some are more sensitive to change. A lot of upheaval in their environment. Try to keep a calm energy around him. Besides all the commotion, your worries about him, he picks up on, and could potentially exsaserbate the plucking and chewing.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm so sorry judy, if Sammy gets stressed she goes back to overpreening too. The inside of her legs look like your greys & for her it's just a habit if she gets stressed. It settles down when she gets more out of cage time or more one on one time.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you everyone. Yes, @Gen120 I hope she settles after all this renovation! I am stressed from it all so I am sure she is too!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Kick those contractors in the rear and get that job done so life can go back to normal. Part of the stress is the "disruption" of their routines (and consistency). Disruptions for a week or two can be tolerated pretty well. You're going past 2 months of things changing.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know John! It's just that we have renovated the entire first floor of our house and it takes a while. We did have a weerk of rest inbetween which was nice.
One good thing with Keene, she loves getting in the shower with me everyday. Even lays upside down in my hand under the spray!:heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I know John! It's just that we have renovated the entire first floor of our house and it takes a while. We did have a weerk of rest inbetween which was nice.
One good thing with Keene, she loves getting in the shower with me everyday. Even lays upside down in my hand under the spray!:heart:

Yes I know. We renovated the entire main floor 2 summers ago. Quote "job should take 4 weeks. 6 weeks tops". 4 months later it was done. My saving grace was that all the animals live downstairs. It was still stressful on them even though their routines weren't affected.