• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeling discouraged

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
After Maccha and Ben making a lot of progress and everyone being impressed with the feather growth they've started plucking again.
Ben has pulled out his tail feathers (after finally letting one grow in and having a few more start growing).
Maccha has started barbering his feathers on his back. He had been doing so well. Hadn't plucked was starting to let his back grow in a little and now he's started barbering. I'm scared he's going to pluck out all of his feathers and become like Ben.
Sorry for the post just needed to vent. I see/read stories about birds who plucked regaining their feathers and everything and then when I see my guys continuing to do it, it makes me feel like I'm not good enough for them. I just want them to be happy and sometimes feel like I can't give that to them. :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sorry about the renewed plucking. Is Featheriffic supplement by Avitech supposed to help feather growth?

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Some birds just pluck. It isn't always something you did. Please don't blame yourself.:( Just keep on trying to help them as best you can. They're still pretty cute, even when they look like roasting chickens!:lol:
I felt the same way when my bird barbered due to a skin infection, and really slowed down once it resolved. But I know there's a good chance he could start up again.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
@saroj12 I've heard some good things about. I was going to talk to my vet about giving some to the fids.

@Jobot Thanks for the kind words. I sometimes get a bit stressed and take things too personally. My vet doesn't think Ben or Maccha will ever be full feathered again. Maccha has ruined feather follicles and Ben is 55+ and Dr. C thinks its a lot like an addiction at this point.
Flynn is a cutie! :) Gotta love them plucked babies lol

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't know if it will help but I believe some members whose fids will pluck or barber are put in "sweaters" so that they can't do that.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
The addiction is strong because plucking releases endorphins. So while the plucking no doubts hurts, the flood of endorphins creates a feeling of euphoria that can become addicting. If your fids have learned this before coming to you, it is an uphill battle so don't blame yourself.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The addiction is strong because plucking releases endorphins. So while the plucking no doubts hurts, the flood of endorphins creates a feeling of euphoria that can become addicting. If your fids have learned this before coming to you, it is an uphill battle so don't blame yourself.
So to a certain extent it's almost like a self-induced drug addiction? I'm asking and don't mean any insult or disrespect. It's somewhat like a human scratching those annoying summer insect bites because it feels so good at the time but one pays for having done it later (kind of thing?).

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So to a certain extent it's almost like a self-induced drug addiction?
From what I understand, yes. A more extreme example is people who cut themselves. It hurts. It can leave a scar. But it releases endorphins too and can be addicting even though it is destructive - even though the initial problem is to some extent resolved, the urge to do it can remain strong.