• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding new ekkie difficult

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Steamed veggies retain more vitamins than when coked the regular way.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Some vegetables oddly have more nutrients available cooked. :wideyed:

I have to get in my big salad tonight as out of famine I just consumed 3/4 of a sourdough baguette with butter!

I'm going to live a little before I die...

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE GREAT IDEAS. Jacks devoured his cooked food last night and seems to be feasting on it this morning. He devoured a yellow doe hill mini pepper (mini yellow pepper:facepalm:). I've put two hazelnut branches as perches...and will add some other foraging toys as he starts enjoying doing that. I just can't wait to use a bell pepper for foraging. Since no cooked food left will try steaming carrots and sweet potatoes. Pulses have to be cooked. Soon I'll get sprouting seed from my organic food store...:dance4: I cut up some small hazelnut branches as chew toys and froze them. Will also defrost and give him one to start with.

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
PS camelotshadow, I make my own bread (never buy) and intend to try a sourdough recipe (made starter this summer) soon. I just love fresh bread out of the oven with butter....yum. My cholesterol and weight have just soared:rolleyes:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
PS camelotshadow, I make my own bread (never buy) and intend to try a sourdough recipe (made starter this summer) soon. I just love fresh bread out of the oven with butter....yum. My cholesterol and weight have just soared:rolleyes:

Didn;t eat good today except for brunch.
Forgot to take my vitamins & suppliments
Have made bread but not daily...kudos
Have made sour dough culture
tried anyway as its not easy
think it worked twice & kept it in refrig
Once it went bad
Its a process but once I remember taking some out & replenishing & feeding it.
Now its hard to feed me.

The bread must have been salty!
Guess the butter is too.
I'd get unsalted but the salt preserves the butter & it keeps better
I took a nap & just woke parched.

I'm drinking water & had my vitamins & feeling awful :wtf:

Even worse is I lost my internet connection
Luckily restarting got it back.

Things are not good here...

Good Luck with your ekkie Jack & glad he is eating better.

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
Sorry your day has started so badly:unsure1:

Just weighed Jacks...300 gr./10.58 ounces. Is that good or bad?

We had quite a difficult time this morning. Hope things start to get better with him. Am going to cook for him now.

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
I've been trying that: raw corn, peppers, kiwi on a hanging foraging thingy:wacky:...even filled a pepper with seeds...he did eat the pepper and seeds:dance5:

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
Well, I've just about given up:( trying to get him to eat normally. So this morning a passion fruit seeds and some seeds mixed with it...and a quarter of an apple...he nibbled at the apple. So tonight I decided to give him: cooked lentils, couscous, carrots...and no seeds and he's eating!:dance4: I just hope this is the start of something greater. Preparing pulses for tomorrow's dinner.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
I had to kind of train myself to not over-indulge Charlie with snacks (nuts or seeds I'd leave in his bowl for him during the day - worried he'd get hungry), since MOST birds, if they are hungry enough, will eat. I still leave a little bit of a snack for him during the day but I've cut down a lot, so he is hungry for his fresh/cooked/steamed/etc. dinners.

I've also learned that Charlie really likes the taste of coconut oil, as well as ground flax seed, cayenne, and red pepper flakes, so if he sees me mix this into his food (or just put some on top), he will often be more likely to try it. Maybe you'll be able to figure out some seasonings that Jack loves that you can use to entice him! :)

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
Well, the breeders came by today. They found Jacks very unfriendly, aloof, lacking in curiosity, in short a tough nut to crack:rolleyes: They suggested exchanging him for another bird if he doesn't come around in another months time. They'll sell him to a breeder instead of private individual...So I've got a month to try to whip him into shape! I didn't want to even suggest this, but they offered. He's not eating very well. They might give me a fledgling that isn't quite weaned so I can feed him and wean him onto a healthy diet...:jawdrop1: Oh well. At least they're honest!

Mococo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mo
That's kind of sad that they suggested swapping him, but it does sound like he's having a hard time adjusting.

My ekkie was fed mostly pellets and seed until she arrived here. The trick that always works for us is eating something in front of her and pretending it's only 'human food', because then she'll start begging. She's also wild about cinnamon, and more likely to try anything that's been sprinkled with it. When we were switching diets and trying different things, she would go on a hunger strike trying to get the old food back. Every time there was something new she wouldn't eat for 2 days, and then get so grumpy that she would give in and eat.

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
Thanks for your reply, Mococo. My ekkie just doesn't seem to like me at all. As soon as I approach the cage he goes off into a corner, or just watched me as if I were a sniper about to shoot! He doesn't like coming out of his cage either, so he doesn't fly. He is starting to play with a foraging toy I've put in his cage along with hazelnut sticks, carrots, bell pepper...
I'll try the cinnamon tomorrow. I'm so sad but I've had him for nearly 2 months already and he just doesn't seem to adjust.:depressed:

Mococo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mo
I'm sorry Gail, that's so hard :( It's obvious that you care about him very much, and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for both of you. (Hope I didn't sound judgmental before!) My ekkie is bonded to my SO, but it took her months to find me non-threatening. I spent a lot of time singing or reading to her while not making eye contact and always keeping my voice quiet. (She was staying with SO's relative for 6 years and they abused her, so now she has huge trust issues) Last week Coco let me rub her beak, the first time she's let me pet her while we were alone.

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
I do feel terrible. He's only 5 months old! No previous bad experiences.. And I live alone with 3 cats and 2 dogs, but I never try to take him out when they're around! I just don't know what else to do.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Hi there. Thought I'd chime in here. I don't know anything about babies Jack's age but have 3 ekkies. You have only had him since October? That is not very long. In my experience ekkies can take awhile to adjust to new surroundings and some are just naturally more wary of things. One of my guys, Mr. Spock is curious about everything and everybody. Tigger on the other hand is very reserved and prefers to sit back and observe instead of jump on your head and check you out like Spock.

You've received some good advice about feeding. I'm so sad that the breeder said to swap him out!! With that kind of policy, he could bounce from person to person or I'd fear that he'll end up in a breeder cage :( I hope you will give yourself and Jacks some more time! As long as you're keeping his weight normal/steady, he will be fine and will come around. Tigger took MONTHS to trust me - and granted, came from a bad situation - but he just needed time and now he's a velcro bird!

But back to food - one of my passions when it comes to my boys - you're doing great offering foods in different ways to see what he likes. My 3 are surprisingly all different with their favorites, both type and presentation (chopped, pureed, big chunks, shredded, etc)! The one trick at my house that is almost fail-proof is to act like I'M eating whatever I want them to try - they want what's on MY plate! Lots of "yums" and drama over how good it is gets them interested! They are flock creatures and Jacks is looking to you to learn what is good and bad so give that a try. Sit near him with a salad that has all safe stuff for him. Show him pieces of cucumber or whatever, take a bite and ooh and ah over it. Sounds silly but it works here!! The other thing that always goes well here is to have them in the kitchen with me on a portable perch. They'll try almost anything I offer in that situation. I realize Jacks isn't ready for that yet but something to keep in mind for later.

You can also puree veggies into a spread, so to speak. Warm it a little so it resembles hand feeding formula - or even mix formula with it. That would be familiar to him and you might have luck there introducing new flavors. You can try that on a bit of cracker if he likes crunchy things. Any mashed veg with a little seed sprinkled on it to entice him is good. And just keep trying different presentations - big chop, tiny chop, shredded, mashed, matchstick style, whole on a skewer, a leafy green woven through cage bars, raw, cooked, steamed, etc, etc. Be creative and keep trying. They are stinkers. A shredded carrot might get ignored one day but gobbled up the next!

On the subject of trust and building a relationship - don't stress. They can sense that! Spend some time sitting on the floor near his cage and leave his door open. Read to him, sing, sit quietly and crochet or whatever, play with something he might find interesting, etc. and let him come to you at his own speed. I promise you once he gets over that initial hurdle, it's all downhill. Maybe the breeder was rough with him, maybe they did something that scared him. Who knows. I DO know they are good at holding grudges! LOL If you can or have already ruled out health issues that may be contributing to his behavior, then settle in with some patience and know that you're doing what's right for him. Positive reinforcement and giving him choices (and making the "right" choice irresistible ;)) is so important!

Keep us posted!! :)

philae21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gail
Wow, thanks Leslie. You'll be happy to hear I've decided to keep Jacks, not swap him (breeder doesn't usually do this. he just thought Jacks might have been better for breeding). So, he's started eating a bit...cooked pulses, carrots, and a bit of passion fruit.

I started by leaving the top door to his cage open and putting seeds on the platform to entice him to come out. It worked. now I just open the top and he comes out when he's ready and goes back in when he's ready! Gabe, my GSD, doesn't seem too interested so that's a good sign. I still can't pick up Jacks or cuddle or anything yet but maybe it will come. I was just so upset by the idea of giving him back! And giving up without trying my da..est.

So I will persever. And not force him or get angry or irritated....He's playing with a foraging ball in his cage so that's good too.
As for the food, it is hit or miss. he loves the seeds obviously. I don't need to put them in his food but will do so anyway from time to time to whet his appetite.

Again many thanks,
Gail

Attachments

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't have any experience keeping an eclectus: I just "know" what I've read and learned from their caregivers. I had always heard that they are voracious eaters, so his reticence is giving me pause. Has he been vet checked? I'm not sure what the situation is with avian vets in France.

I think he's holding out for seeds. My capri macaw, Daphne, wouldn't eat the Roudybush pellets my other birds eat; in fact, she didn't really want to eat any pellets. I withheld her seeds and nuts until she ate some pellet. Fairly quickly , she learned to eat some and get the good stuff. I was not starving her; she had other food items available.

If I were you, I'd offer birdy bread with some seeds in it and food processed vegetables in small bits. I think sprouts might be a great source of nutrition for him, too. He should recognized them as seeds and might be open to eating them.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Wow, thanks Leslie. You'll be happy to hear I've decided to keep Jacks, not swap him (breeder doesn't usually do this. he just thought Jacks might have been better for breeding). So, he's started eating a bit...cooked pulses, carrots, and a bit of passion fruit.

I started by leaving the top door to his cage open and putting seeds on the platform to entice him to come out. It worked. now I just open the top and he comes out when he's ready and goes back in when he's ready! Gabe, my GSD, doesn't seem too interested so that's a good sign. I still can't pick up Jacks or cuddle or anything yet but maybe it will come. I was just so upset by the idea of giving him back! And giving up without trying my da..est.

So I will persever. And not force him or get angry or irritated....He's playing with a foraging ball in his cage so that's good too.
As for the food, it is hit or miss. he loves the seeds obviously. I don't need to put them in his food but will do so anyway from time to time to whet his appetite.

Again many thanks,
Gail
Glad to hear it! You have a positive, determined attitude and that's the most important. You are definitely on the right track so don't lose hope.

Be prepared for Jacks to simply not give a hoot about cuddling! SOME ekkies are cuddly but of all I know, they generally do not like to be touched like other species. Scritches and snuggles are rejected in our house. It was a little difficult for me to accept in the beginning because we all get the feels over seeing cockatoos and macaw videos online and they're so fluffy and cuddly and cute. Well, my boys want to BE with me, on me, near me. They like me to touch their feet and beaks and they nibble my fingers and preen my hair. They will let me touch under their wings but otherwise just don't want their feathers messed with! The exception to that rule is when they're being horny and then they don't care what I do to them, they're just trying rub on me. LOL Yeah, get ready for that. Be ready with lots of distraction tricks and do not get in the habit of petting Jacks down his back as that's a turn on! You have some time before he gets hormonal but it's something to be prepared for!

Anyway, I digress. One thing I did with Tigger who was so terrified of my hands, was to arrange a ladder from his cage door to a portable perch on the floor where I sat. That gave him the option to get closer to me when he was ready to. I had to wear long sleeve shirts and tuck my hands in the sleeves - but he eventually climbed down and sat on my leg where I bribed him with an almond. :cool: **Figure out what Jacks "thing" is and reserve that treat for a bribe/reward/positive reinforcement!** I eventually kept my hands out, shorter sleeves, etc. and he eventually decided my hands weren't so scary and began to touch them with his feet. That was his hurdle. He got over it and the rest is history. Now every night when I tuck him in, he comes to give me kisses and will hold up a foot wanting to hold my finger. I usually get a dramatic smooch and sometimes an "I love you". Melts my heart of course. :heart:

Great that Jacks is playing with the foraging toy. I couldn't tell from the pic but make sure you offer plenty of different textures and shapes of things he can chew up. It's good stimulation and will keep his beak in shape - also will deter over preening from boredom.

Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes....