• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding my canary

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
Hello. My birdy passed a few weeks ago. My new bird has a different eating habit. He only feeds on seeds. He’s a North Frill Dutch canary. My previous Dutch Frill used to eat chopped boiled eggs and chopped apples. What should I try feeding him?thanks much

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Birds that have only ever eaten seeds tend to be very resistant to trying new foods, but patience does pay off sometimes. I would just keep trying.

Gouldluv23

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Wendy
Will your new canary eat pellets? The little colorful balls in a good seed mix like Featherglow? Try to get the best quality seed mix you can find. The good stuff has added vitamins and minerals, plus dried greens. You can get small amounts of organic greens like parsley, oregano, kale, carrot tops that you can dry out in the sun or at low temp like 175° in the oven until crispy, then crush up, store in a bag or container and add a teaspoon to his seed dish. You can grate organic veggies like peppers, carrots, brocolli, cucumber, squash, etc and dry them also. Put some in his seed bowl also. Finally, you can try sprouting some of his seeds and giving a teaspoon or so along with some fresh veggies and greens daily in a separate cup. Canaries are curious little cuties, they usually will give in and try some new foods if they see them a lot. Persistence pays off!