• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

February 2016 Feathered Estates Highlight - Riddick07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
February 2016 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

Riddick07
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member Riddick07!

Setups used by multiple birds

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I have 2 green cheek conures, 4 cockatiels, 1 sun conure, 1 yellow nape amazon, and 1 bare eyed cockatoo:jawdrop1: I have plans to bring home a scarlet macaw in the fairly near future too:blink: I designed the setup for multiple small birds but mostly around the fact that everyone is flighted. Nothing has to be close together since they can fly instead of having to climb from area to area. The only one that doesn’t really fly is my amazon though he is flighted. He mostly stays on the java tree and hanging gym right above it when he is out downstairs. I recently moved everyone to one side with the idea the macaw was coming home sometime in the future and the other side of the room can be setup with the bigger birds in mind instead of the small ones. Right now where I want to possibly put the macaw is where the foster cage with a pair of dusky conures is sitting all by its lonesome…
Y16NinX.jpg

If anyone was wondering there is nothing in that cage where the table top java tree is sitting. Its just sitting there all empty:cautious:
zuUnt2W.jpg
ogWZmaO.jpg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

Nope!

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?

Hahaha not really! I do tend to make a lot of their toys, which saves a bit. The java tree was found on craigslist so was a lot cheaper than buying it new.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

The setup tends to stay the same and not change much. The only aspect that changes are the toys but I only really have toys inside the cages not out since everything is in the same area.

rCll8rX.jpg A4908rB.jpg dX6OOXa.jpg wayzp6Z.jpg CklyWHv.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

I mostly use materials found in the dollar store, mysafebirdstore, and birds paradise. I don’t have a favorite place generally it’s just where I can find everything when I want it!

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

Probably the java tree since everyone can use it and unless the macaw starts chewing on it doesn’t really need to be replaced. I do like my stacker cages too since they make everything so much easier!

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?

Favorite toys are the ones made with foam. Everyone seems to love destroying the foam. I wouldn’t say there were any failures really since if one bird doesn’t like a toy one of the others is bound to destroy it.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

The only bird with foraging toys that you buy is the cockatoo. He loves the ones with drawers or lids to open. My sun conure likes to find food in her foot toy basket but otherwise I don’t have foraging toys with food in them. I’ve thought about doing more of them but haven’t gotten around to trying to make a habit of creating them!

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

None really unless you count getting someone to hang up the boings from the ceiling…

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

Hmmmm. I would probably say the lack of floor coverings at the moment or mats on top of the cage to stop them from pooping on each other’s heads:meh:

11~ What do you like most about your setup?

The fact that the cages are part of the out time setup. They can go in and out of their cages as they wish and generally put themselves to bed. I like that they all get along well enough that I don’t have to pay close attention to them. Well obviously Folger and Kelly don’t come out at the same time as everyone else but otherwise everyone else can be let out at once to socialize.

e90ruB9.jpg sb1d1sz.jpg hHQGMTC.jpg tcgHUEI.jpg

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

Everyone just went right to using everything and didn’t need time to approach it! Kelly though does tend to object to some changes every once in awhile. I guess age could be a factor…set in his ways in his old age. All my birds are pretty young except for the adopted ones. They could be a little braver than my old cockatoo and amazon:p

13~ Any future renovations planned?

I want to get foam mats to put on the ground I was thinking blue and grey in a checker pattern. I have plans to buy some type of plastic mat for the top of the cages and get a couple more table top stands to put up on top too.

I also have a spot in the middle of the room that I want to make into another area that they can play on. That area would only be up high no stand on the ground just ceiling gyms:D I have a cargo net to add to the mix that I just haven't gotten around to hanging...or getting someone else to hang for me:smuggrin:

Where the heater (it's a bird safe one for anyone that was worried:) ) is sitting is where I’m thinking of having the new ceiling play area!
QZ5XZM7.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I enjoyed reading your interview!

Matt

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great set up! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations. Very nice setup for your feathered friends.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Woah! Your set-up is amazing!

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congratsbig:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
That looks so good! I can only imagine the hours it would take to keep everything semi-clean with that large of a flock! :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Congrats and what a great set up you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.