• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Featherbrite Lighting

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Hi all...
I'd love to fet a lighting system set up for my 3 birds.
I'm wondering what everyone uses..
I have looked up the Featherbrite avian floor lamp. If people use this, how do you like it?
I've seen the one that attaches to the top of the cage but I think the floor lamp would be good as it could be moved around easier.
Thanks in advance!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just use regular floor lamps with daylight bulbs. There is no real proven benefit to the lamps or bulbs marketed for birds honestly. They cost more because someone slapped the word Avian on it

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Mizzely do you still have that video about the featherbrite bulbs on your web page?

D

Deleted member 29421

A worthy watch. I know people say that beneficial lighting cant be reproduced in bulbs but from my own experience Ive seen huge changes in birds that have it. I had a bird once that had been a chronic plucker. He was that way when I got him. He refused to eat anything other than seeds. Id had him for a couple months before I bought him an "avian light" He almost immediately started attacking the vegetables and greens like he had been starved. He would literally devour them. Once that happened, he stopped plucking. He had a small spot on his chest where the damage was too severe for feathers to ever regrow but the rest of him looked great and like I said, no more plucking. Now.... I could say it was because he was happier and got more attention than he had before I got him but I truly believe it was the light.

The Importance of Ultra Violet Light in Birds - YouTube

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is a video for you. I have come over to the other side of the coin of using featherbright or other bulbs that claim to have full spectrum lighting. I use LED lighting for brightness but the real, true full spectrum lighting is natural sunshine that is not filtered through glass or screens. Its not easy in the winter so I supplement Vit. D until the weather corporates.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I use fluorescent tube, with Arcadia avian tube, they do them for reptiles etc.
The cost of the 4 foot tube is a fraction of the costs of replacement bulbs for the floor lamps, as they need changing every 12 months.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Here is a video for you. I have come over to the other side of the coin of using featherbright or other bulbs that claim to have full spectrum lighting. I use LED lighting for brightness but the real, true full spectrum lighting is natural sunshine that is not filtered through glass or screens. Its not easy in the winter so I supplement Vit. D until the weather corporates.

What supplement are you providing?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Someone here recommended Cal-De-Solve sold on Amazon. It's a fine powder sprinkled on food. I use a pinch 2 to 3 days per week.