• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Feather turned backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

as1153a

Moving in
Real Name
Angie
Layla is a Blue Fronted Amazon. She was playing this morning, and some how a feather on her left wing is sticking out at a different angle than the others, as it bumps on a part of her cage she screams. I have had surgery and am unable to take her to the vet right now. How can I help my sweet friend. As long as she doesnt bump it she is calm. What to do? I thought about toweling her and clipping it off? Help Please!!!!!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If she is in pain, you must pull it. When you pull a feather you want to make sure you have her safely confined, but be careful you are not suffocating her and making her not breath, and you must pull the feather very quickly and fast. Some use tweezers, I just used my fingers and pull.:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Agree it needs to be pulled...Have you done this before and do you have any one to help you?
:hug8:

Spinderella

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chloe
I agree w/ above - You must pull it. But make sure that you use a tweezers or something because you have to make sure that you grab and pull the feather from the shaft as close to the skin as possible, NOT from the end. You have to make sure that you pull the entire feather out, and that the shaft is not broken inside his skin, where it could possibly break off and leave a part of the shaft inside the skin.

It is easiest if you can have someone else towel the bird and hold him with their thumb & middle finger around the neck and the other hand around the legs. Don't put pressure on the chest/keel bone, or he can suffocate. (They need to move the chest in & out in order to breath)

Restrain like this:

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I agree w/ above - You must pull it. But make sure that you use a tweezers or something because you have to make sure that you grab and pull the feather from the shaft as close to the skin as possible, NOT from the end. You have to make sure that you pull the entire feather out, and that the shaft is not broken inside his skin, where it could possibly break off and leave a part of the shaft inside the skin.

It is easiest if you can have someone else towel the bird and hold him with their thumb & middle finger around the neck and the other hand around the legs. Don't put pressure on the chest/keel bone, or he can suffocate. (They need to move the chest in & out in order to breath)

Restrain like this:

Personally I have found Needle nose plyers the best to use for pulling feathers IF you don't have a hemostat.
Hemostat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can get a good solid grip on the feather and it is not going to "slide" as you pull it.:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I agree that pulling it would be the best option.

as1153a

Moving in
Real Name
Angie
Well I got the towel, the tweezers, and when I went to get her she fought the towel. I noticed the feather has gone back in place. Do I leave it alone now? She is on her perch now just sitting.
She is fluttering her wing a bit and crys a little.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would probably still pull it, especially if she is crying when she is fluttering her wings, she sounds like she is in some pain.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It may appears like its back in proper place, but from the sounds of it, I would pull it regardless.

as1153a

Moving in
Real Name
Angie
Is it possible she will pull it herself. She is stretching her wing and looking in that direction.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is it possible she will pull it herself. She is stretching her wing and looking in that direction.
Birds wont typically pull a hurt feather out. Not in my experience. Its best to just pull it out, and save her some pain. Its the best way to help her feel better.

as1153a

Moving in
Real Name
Angie
Ok hubby on his way and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!!!

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Make sure you do it on the first time too! Get a good solid grip and do if fast. Good luck and keep us updated :hug8:

as1153a

Moving in
Real Name
Angie
Sorry I didn't get back yesterday, But She is fine now, When I brought her out of her cage to pull the feather she flew around the room. Has not acted as though it has been a problem from then on till now. So I have been just watching and listening to how she feels. She went on top of her cage and played like always. A very Happy girl.
Thanks for the advice, if she show signs that it bothers her I will pull it.:dance5:

Status
Not open for further replies.