• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Feather storage

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I got some new boxes today to store feathers in...

IMG_20190518_162759.jpg
I have ;
47 for Aldora
51 for Jaime
36 for Sydney
33 for Lapislázuli
52 for Nube
6 for Adélie

I also have some large down and other small feathers, I put them in my Christmas baubles:
IMG_20190518_163145.jpg IMG_20190518_163214.jpg

How do you all store your feathers? :)

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Do you make jewelry or art work with them Zara? I'm always looking for good ideas!

I just use Tupperware containers too! I used to have them in a cardboard shoe box until I realized someone chewed the back end out of it! Lol

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're so much more organised than me! My fids' feathers all collectively just go into a big cardboard box :lol:

That bauble is SO pretty!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I have mine in a little cardboard box, but I've been wanting to do some type of thing with them in a frame. Haven't quite figured it out yet lol.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So very organized!!!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I used to keep Sydney, Jaime and Aldoras feathers in one pot, and Lapis and Nubes feathers in a bag.
I have to split some of the feathers as nube and adelie have some similar feathers... so I thought I may as well give them a tub each :roflmao:

why do you keep the feathers??
First I inspect them. I look for odd marks, holes etc I make sure they are bright and smooth - (these can indicate stress or illnesses in a bird).
I keep them so that I can make things with them. To display them proudly in my home.
Also, the sad truth is they won´t be around forever, I just want to preserve all I can from them so that I will rememebr them for my lifetime, even when I´m old and my memory is going ;)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
What a great idea! I never would have thought to keep feathers! Definitely doing this now!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Oh those are so pretty!!I’ve been saving feathers too, but I don’t yet have a plan for them. I just couldn’t throw away something so lovely, from as @Zara so expertly said, those I love who I want to remember and keep with me all my days ❤ I love your family tree project btw, it’s absolutely stunning!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just keep the long feathers (flights and tails, as well as cheek dots) in a wooden trinket box, and the rest are in a mason jar. I'm almost obsessive about saving every feather I can, lol.

Does anybody else's birds yell at their own feathers? Chirp yells and pecks angrily at his shed feathers, until he realizes they are his, then he loves them and starts to twirl them in his beak. He's a silly boy!

Not a bird mommy yet...but...why do you keep the feathers??
I keep them because I like them, because they are pretty, because they make me smile. One day, when my boy is no longer on this earth, I will be able to look back at the feathers he left me and remember the good times we shared.

melissa68

Walking the driveway
I wasn't sure if there was something that could be made with them. Like a nice feather pillow...I bet if you have enough birds you COULD make a pillow lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I keep all of Burts in a jar at the moment. Unfortunately most of his are sooo messed up with him still being a tough rough baby.
Even half of his new tail feathers have already been broken :( He plays so rough and is still learning to look after them....maybe by next year I might get some decent feathers that haven’t been ruined. I have a few nice flight feathers but no nice tail ones!

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
I bought this handmade box quite a few years ago, it's nice finally having a use. Though it's quite small so I'm not sure how long it'll last.

Zephyr's going through a big molt at the moment so getting to collect quite a few of his feathers. :p Ignore the stuff on the right, just random teeth/bones I've collected (shark, wolf etc)

l