Feather barbering

Discussion in 'Conure Court' started by Inheavenlygrass, 8/8/13.

1. Inheavenlygrass

Inheavenlygrass Walking the driveway

My 9 month old GCC Kiwi has started barbering her tail feathers. She had previously barbered her clipped flight feathers, but I was told it wasn't something to worry about because she was likely doing it because they didn't feel right. But today I came home and she's barbered one side of two of her tail feathers. Now, she only has two full length tail feathers because she keeps breaking them while trying to fly (I can't wait for her flight feathers to grow out). I'm really concerned about this behavior, she's still a baby and I want to stop this now before it gets any worse. Any suggestions would be great!
  2. Kimferg9209

Kimferg9209 Walking the driveway

Kim Ferguson
    I'm going through this with Mango and his tail feathers also! I try hard to catch him each time. It's been better this week. I find letting him shower 2 times a day helps him. If I miss he begins chewing again. And plenty of shredding toys on his cage. I hope you little guy gets past it too. Sending prayers
  3. FidFlock

FidFlock Sprinting down the street

Nikki
    Wood toys work for my sun conure, Simba. He's too busy destroying ladders and wood blocks to be barbering feathers :lol:
  4. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month

Shawna
    My green cheek needs toys rotated out weekly or she let's me know she is bored! Perhaps try that, and be sure she has a variety. I keep about 4-6 toys in Koopa's cage and change out half every week, then change the other half the next week, and so on.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)