• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather barbering

Inheavenlygrass

Walking the driveway
My 9 month old GCC Kiwi has started barbering her tail feathers. She had previously barbered her clipped flight feathers, but I was told it wasn't something to worry about because she was likely doing it because they didn't feel right. But today I came home and she's barbered one side of two of her tail feathers. Now, she only has two full length tail feathers because she keeps breaking them while trying to fly (I can't wait for her flight feathers to grow out). I'm really concerned about this behavior, she's still a baby and I want to stop this now before it gets any worse. Any suggestions would be great!

Kimferg9209

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim Ferguson
I'm going through this with Mango and his tail feathers also! I try hard to catch him each time. It's been better this week. I find letting him shower 2 times a day helps him. If I miss he begins chewing again. And plenty of shredding toys on his cage. I hope you little guy gets past it too. Sending prayers

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
Wood toys work for my sun conure, Simba. He's too busy destroying ladders and wood blocks to be barbering feathers :lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek needs toys rotated out weekly or she let's me know she is bored! Perhaps try that, and be sure she has a variety. I keep about 4-6 toys in Koopa's cage and change out half every week, then change the other half the next week, and so on.