• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite Treats

CMiller89

Moving in
Hello!

We just picked up our new baby GCC today! VERY tame and calm.

My question is on treats. What have you found to be your GCC's favorite whether human food or store bought? What treats work the best for training?

Thank you!

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
The treat that works best depends on your bird, I recommend buying usual bird favorites to start (those being things like papaya bits, sunflower seeds (unsalted), and things like that). I did this with my two green cheeks, and I let them eat each of them, then threw them all in my hand and showed them it, and they chose the one they liked the most. I usually then figure out what their favorites are in order, so my bird Rascal had a choice between yogurt bits, papaya, seeds, and pumpkin seeds, he chose papaya #1, then seeds, then pumpkin, then yogurt. So, i usually use seeds, and when he does amazing and is catching on fast, and i give him a little boost by giving his favorite treat, a papaya bit. Hope this helps.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Safflower seeds are a great training treat, but try several and see which your bird prefers. Mine also love almonds, pecans, walnuts, nutriberries, several types of fruit.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have not had mine as babies and they all like different things. For training I find that juice in a shot glass works perfectly, it is a quick treat .

CMiller89

Moving in
I'm going to stop by the pet store after work and pick him up a few treats. My husband bought a thing of dried papaya from the grocery store, but I don't know about the ingredients since they use artificial coloring. I'd rather get stuff made for birds if it isn't straight seed. The little guy is still learning to hold things in his claws to eat so he keeps dropping stuff to the cage floor lol. He's getting the hang of it slowly, though.