• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite places to buy cages?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was hoping to get a cage at the bird fair I went to last weekend. However, they didn't really have any the right size for Elvis. So, I'm back to looking on line. So far, I'm leaning towards ordering from Dr. Foster and Smith- mainly because they have free shipping. And I would rather spend an additional $100 on the cage rather than shipping fees- which is what other sites I looked at seem to be charging. However, the cages are a bit smaller than what I wanted on Dr. Foster and Smith (larger than his current cage by only a little). It seems that once I go larger on their site, the bar spacing then gets too big. I've also looked at Overstock- and same issue. And as for Amazon, the cages I like either are out of stock or don't come with free shipping. Any recommendations? I don't mind paying something for shipping but $100? Just seems like too much.

MeRaul

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Charles S
Hi, I'm from Indonesia, we use these kind of cage for Lovebird especially 25399169_1707895045911253_418720347338550454_n.jpg 25399169_1707895045911253_418720347338550454_n.jpg 20770470_1612433545456519_2466572760045248449_n.jpg 20180201_101732_scaled.jpg here

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've purchased from Wayfair (no more Avian Adventures listed there, though), Petsolutions (closed and taken over by Petsupermarket which has very limited bird supplies), Petsmart, Petco, (both overpriced unless there is a sale) and mybirdstore.com (can call and see if they will offer a discount).
Which cage did you want to get for him?
You can also check out Bonkabirdtoys. He sells King's and people have had good experiences with him in case there are any issues. He has a website and also sells on ebay as well as Amazon.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You really should shoot an email or call Karrie Noterman at natural inspirations parrot cages if shipping was the issue. She travels all over...and she lives in PA if I remember correctly. I met her at some fair that I'd never heard of before...took my cages home. She dropped off cages to a friend just off the highway because she passes that way on one of her routes. Worth a shot.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You really should shoot an email or call Karrie Noterman at natural inspirations parrot cages if shipping was the issue. She travels all over...and she lives in PA if I remember correctly. I met her at some fair that I'd never heard of before...took my cages home. She dropped off cages to a friend just off the highway because she passes that way on one of her routes. Worth a shot.
I think I've met Karrie before........... but I didn't realize she sold cages. I will check with her, thanks. Weirdly,I looked a little while ago on FB marketplace and a woman I know is selling a bird cage. LOL. It's not exactly what I want but I'm thinking about getting it because it's a good price and I know her and her birds, just to get something so I can move Elvis upstairs to sleep. His night screaming is getting ridiculous. Then I can shop around more for the a bigger cage. I think Karrie lives less than an hour from me..... And it's always good to have an extra cage if I foster again.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have gotten my Avian Adventures through Wayfair in the past, too.

I think I've met Karrie before........... but I didn't realize she sold cages. I will check with her, thanks. Weirdly,I looked a little while ago on FB marketplace and a woman I know is selling a bird cage. LOL. It's not exactly what I want but I'm thinking about getting it because it's a good price and I know her and her birds, just to get something so I can move Elvis upstairs to sleep. His night screaming is getting ridiculous. Then I can shop around more for the a bigger cage. I think Karrie lives less than an hour from me..... And it's always good to have an extra cage if I foster again.
Ooh, I would be so jealous if you got one of those cages for Elvis! Chandra's new cages look so awesome and spacious! :fairy2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I compare cages and prices between Amazon and E bay. The shipping is almost always free. E bay usually has many sellers for bird cages thus competition. Foster Smith just had a big sale. Ask when the next one is. Also some good cages on Petco.com

What kind of cage are you looking for?

Bird Cage Large Play Top Bird Parrot Finch Cage Macaw Cockatoo Black Birdcage | eBay

This one is pricey but really nice
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hi, I'm from Indonesia, we use these kind of cage for Lovebird especially View attachment 273948 View attachment 273948 View attachment 273949 View attachment 273950 here
@MeRaul Round cages are not good for birds. :( They make them insecure to not have a corner to hide in and have even caused mental distress in some.
Also, those cages are pretty, but they are way too small for any species. :unsure1: The smallest side of a rectangular cage for a single lovebird is about 50cm.

Last edited:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Dr. Foster Smith tends to overprice cages.
Petco and Amazon usually have the best prices and usually include shipping as well.
I also got a cage from Windy City Parrot - they didn't have the best price to begin with but there was a 15% new customer discount (but that was a few years ago).

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I bought a large Kings cage from Bonkabirdtoys that was about $100-200 cheaper than it was on the Kings cages web site, and I’m pretty sure it was shipped straight from the actual Kings warehouse.

One thing to be aware of is that neither Bonka nor FedEx will pay to use the lift gate of their truck to lower large packages. Kind of annoying, because it’s just RIGHT THERE and useable with the push of a button. Sounds like a terrible policy to me.

You will have to foot the bill ($100+), or, have a lot of strong people home with you to help lift it down. The FedEx driver is only allowed to help you carry it to your door.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was watching a UPS delivery man drop my entire cage box from the back of the truck to the ground. Then he put it in a dolly. I was p...... I yelled to him from balcony and he realized I was watching the whole thing. I placed a call to both the seller and UPS and a letter of complaint was written. The seller includes a toy inside with new cages and that was all that was broken but the box was mashed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I ended up getting the cage that was listed on FB marketplace that was coincidentally being sold by the woman I know. It's actually even bigger than I thought it was going to be. So that was exciting. And I got to meet her new bird. @webchirp, and in another weird coincidence, the reason she was getting rid of the cage was because she just bought a walk-in aviary from Karrie Noterman! I missed seeing Karrie by about an hour. She dropped off the new cage and I picked the old one up. I don't have Elvis in it yet. I need to clean out the office still to get the cage set up in there. Crossing fingers it goes well. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. : )

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I ended up getting the cage that was listed on FB marketplace that was coincidentally being sold by the woman I know. It's actually even bigger than I thought it was going to be. So that was exciting. And I got to meet her new bird. @webchirp, and in another weird coincidence, the reason she was getting rid of the cage was because she just bought a walk-in aviary from Karrie Noterman! I missed seeing Karrie by about an hour. She dropped off the new cage and I picked the old one up. I don't have Elvis in it yet. I need to clean out the office still to get the cage set up in there. Crossing fingers it goes well. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. : )
Wow...pretty cool though. Can't wait for pics!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I can't wait to see the new set up! I'm curious to see how quickly Elvis takes to it.