• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fatty tumor getting bigger

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The one on his foot is hard and appears to have grown since the vet looked at it @ 2 mos. ago. The one inside his ear is very small and actually just feels like a fatty tumor. It's actually not inside his ear per se but on the inside of the ear flap.

Oh, that's better as they should be able to get the ear one off easily. The hard one may mean its in the muscle...
Good thing as most of them are benign.

:sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Well, the bloodwork came back ok so tomorrow it's getting removed. I'm nervous as heck, I'm just hoping all goes well.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I hope so too! I'm really nervous, but I think that's because I'm always nervous about everything! But yeah. Tink is gonna get some extra treats before and after the operation. This evening, she got a tiny bit of my dinner, which was pasta with a 3 cheese blend (romano, mozzarella, parmesan). Tink loves cheese, and she got some while the cheese was still nice and gooey. I think I made her day:):heart:

I hope Tink pulls through. You realize that this is the kind of thing that leads to these tumours in the first place if fed with any regularity right?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I hope Tink pulls through. You realize that this is the kind of thing that leads to these tumours in the first place if fed with any regularity right?
She doesn't get fatty, starchy things often, maybe a couple times a month. Normally, if I end up giving her anything off my plate, it'll be meat, like roasted chicken. I didn't know that fatty foods lead to fatty tumors, but I suppose that is the logical connection. Everything I know about dogs I've learned from my dad, so I guess either he doesn't know or didn't bother telling me!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that the surgery goes well today.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hoping for asuccessful surgery.
Hope Tink will be Ok.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I hope that the surgery goes well today.
Hoping for asuccessful surgery.
Hope Tink will be Ok.
Thanks guys.

We dropped her off at the vet at 7 this morning, and she was all over us like a wet blanket, this is the first time we've ever left her alone somewhere other than our house. They said they'll call when the surgery is done, and we can pick her up at 4 or 5. Very nervous.

We (here meaning I convinced my dad) got her a couple of squeaky toys. She loves those and hopefully, it will make her resent us slightly less when she inevitably has to wear the dreaded Cone Of Shame. This is the first time in almost 10 years that there hasn't been a dog in the house. It feels weird, not having her around.

Hoping all goes well.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So things took an unexpected turn.

The vet saw that it had moved since he saw her a couple of days ago, so they took an x-ray and it turns out it wasn't a tumor, just arthritis! So they sent her home with us around 4, with a couple of meds. I think one is for pain management and one is for the swelling. Now she's home, and coming off of the anesthetic they put her on so she'd be still during the x-ray. The vet wants to see her back in a couple of weeks.

So yeah, I guess everything is ok for now.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great news!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:think1: Fatty tumor...no needle biopsy...wants to do surgery...then it moves & now its arthritis????
:bash:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:think1: Fatty tumor...no needle biopsy...wants to do surgery...then it moves & now its arthritis????
:bash:
I don't know. It's good enough for my dad apparently and what he says goes. The vet wants to see her in 2 weeks, so I guess we'll see then.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Arthritis is better than a tumor but just wondering how they can be confused by a experienced vet.

Tink is a senior large dog & arthritis is to be expected & can be managed.
Much better than a tumor & surgery.

Hopefully this is true as its great news.

:fairy2:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hopefully! The swelling in her leg has gone down a lot, which is great!

They shaved her leg and a little patch on her front leg (probably for an IV) before surgery (which ended up not happening) and every now and then she'll look at her sad naked leg and look at me like I just did the most unspeakable thing imaginable. Poor baby! But she's starting to feel like herself again.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Kibble high in carbs too can aid in more fatty tumors. The elderdog here has a whole bunch, her half brother has one on his chest. Neither bother them and unless they become an issue they'll just keep them. Getting Tink lean and toned up in the hind end will also aid with any future problems with the arthritis as well. Not sure what your very put her on, but there are some OTC that can also aid in keeping her comfortable - gluocoasamine, fish oil, etc.