• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fatty liver Pellets Help☆

Twyla Ring

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Twyla
Will someone please share a high quality pellet food for my Olive (quaker), for fatty liver disease symptoms? Thank you abundantly in advance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This list may help you find the lowest fat pellet:

Pellets for Parrots

Other things: cut out seeds and nuts from the diet, and add lots of fresh veggies and a bit of fruit.

What kind of diet are they on now? Are they allowed to fly (exercise also helps)? Has your bird been diagnosed by a vet?

Milk thistle and DMG can also help but only alongside a proper diet. This article may help: Liver Disease / Fatty Liver | Beauty of Birds

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Will someone please share a high quality pellet food for my Olive (quaker), for fatty liver disease symptoms? Thank you abundantly in advance.
Harrison's high potency fine. A milk thistle/dandelion herbal supplement as well. Have you had a chem panel run by an Avian Vet for a definitive diagnosis?

You can also offer milk thistle seeds, and feed fresh dandelion flowers and greens as well.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Senior Nutriberries contain milk thistle which is beneficial for birds with liver issues. I've been using these with my red-bellied parrot Scully. His previous chem panel results showed elevated liver values but the one that was done the other day came back with normal results so I think that the Nutriberries are helping.
As per Claire, has any diagnostic testing been done? What are the symptoms you are noticing?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Senior Nutriberries contain milk thistle which is beneficial for birds with liver issues. I've been using these with my red-bellied parrot Scully. His previous chem panel results showed elevated liver values but the one that was done the other day came back with normal results so I think that the Nutriberries are helping.
As per Claire, has any diagnostic testing been done? What are the symptoms you are noticing?
That's awesome news! I love the senior Nutriberries! They smell good too.

Twyla Ring

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Twyla
Thank you for the replies...my Olive has a very "unhealthy" growing beak. It's hard to describe. It comes to a point at bottom and has 2 "narrow panels" beginning above the bottom point, making it wider there. It has 2-3 little black dots on it and I read it can be s sign of fatty liver. A few months ago she injured the top of her beak somehow and had a black scab that eventually disappeared. I have a Vet that looks at birds, yet not truly an Avian Veterinarian. I live in a rural area and am having trouble finding one. I love this Precious little one so much thus reaching out here and looking for a Vet in NE Iowa for her. I don't want to traumatize her yet I do want to help her. She otherwise seems very happy and "healthy"...eating well, feathers good, sings...I feed Zupreem Naturals and fresh veggies & quinoa, not as much fruit.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you for the replies...my Olive has a very "unhealthy" growing beak. It's hard to describe. It comes to a point at bottom and has 2 "narrow panels" beginning above the bottom point, making it wider there. It has 2-3 little black dots on it and I read it can be s sign of fatty liver. A few months ago she injured the top of her beak somehow and had a black scab that eventually disappeared. I have a Vet that looks at birds, yet not truly an Avian Veterinarian. I live in a rural area and am having trouble finding one. I love this Precious little one so much thus reaching out here and looking for a Vet in NE Iowa for her. I don't want to traumatize her yet I do want to help her. She otherwise seems very happy and "healthy"...eating well, feathers good, sings...I feed Zupreem Naturals and fresh veggies & quinoa, not as much fruit.
Can you post a picture so we can see?

Your diet you feed doesn't sound bad at all. Fatty liver can happen in most instances from feeding a seed only diet, poor diet or foods meant for us.

I cringe when I see a bird eating a fried chicken wing or French fries!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Has you bird been under the care of someone else before you got her?