• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Father passed away.

Comet

Strolling the yard
I don't know what happened. I came home from work, and Comet passed away. His mate is alone with her chicks now...
I have one other male. Should I put him in with the hen in hopes he will fast learn to become a step father?
Please any advice ASAP would be highly appreciated.
They're budgies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for the loss of Comet. Don't know what to recommend about putting another male in with her.
@PoukieBear

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I am so sorry Comet passed on. Fly high sweet angel...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No do NOT put the other male in with the female and chicks. Most likely the male will kill the chicks.
You may have to help the hen by co parenting the chicks. BUT PLEASE DO NOT PUT THE OTHER MALE IN THAT CAGE!!!!!!!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Thank you for the condolences and advice.
I'm going to the pet store now to get hand feeding formula. My husband and I will do our best to co-parent.
Comet was a wonderful bird, and I wonderful father. We will be honoured to help raise his chicks.
I just don't know what happened...
All of the other birds are fine, they had food, water...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss of Comet

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good luck. How old are the chicks?

Comet

Strolling the yard
One likely just hatched today, and there are still three eggs still to hatch. The oldest is currently ten days old.
I hand fed the chicks a bit just now. Their crops were partly full already, and I noticed that the hen has been eating as well, thank God.

Flynn

Strolling the yard
I can't imagine how distressing that has to be on both of you. Make sure mama hen doesn't freak out because of the passing of Comet. I wish you all the best of luck :sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Weight the babies before you feed them. Best thing I have ever used are disposable syringes for feeding. Talk to your local pharmacy, they may carry (human) baby syringes like 1cc size with caps. I know Walgreens carries them. You may be able to purchase a box. Formula should only be made and used once. And sanitize sanitize sanitize. F-10 is the best. May sure mama has lots of fresh veggies, fruit and egg food to eat beside your hand feeding. And lots of fresh water too. Good luck.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss of Comet.:sadhug2: Poor momma bird too.:(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that mom will continue to feed them while you co-parent and help out. If you find that she stops feeding them or tries to hurt them then you will need to pull them. You may want to have a brooder ready. Hoping that everything works out well!

Flynn

Strolling the yard
Also a tip for finding syringes, on Amazon (for my own injections) I got around 100 medical grade 1 CC barrels with screw tops for extremely cheap. It'll help you measure out exactly how much they eat. I'm not aware of what the tip should be for feeding babies, but I'm sure there are some suitable ones out there :)

Comet

Strolling the yard
I was able to find a syringe at the pet store, sold for small animals, with ml and tsp measurements on it. The tip is fairly narrow, as well.

Attachments

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry for your loss of comet :sad8:
Good luck to fostering them, I'm sure you will do great.
:sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok that will work temporarily, for one baby. To keep contamination down you want one syringe per baby for one use only. Otherwise you wind up with yeast infections in their crops. It's nasty stuff and their survival rate isn't good. Believe me I have been there. I agree with setting up a brooder also just in case. If you want I will take a picture of the 1cc syringe from Walgreens.

Comet

Strolling the yard
I'm setting up a brooder now. Thank you all for the tips!! I'll make sure to get more syringes, as well. I should be able to find more locally :)

Comet

Strolling the yard
Sekhmet is still feeding and incubating the chicks.

I do have a question. Can the youngest (freshly hatched) chicks eat the food from her alone?
Comet usually fed her before, and I believe that helps soften the food for the chicks. Since the food isn't being regurgitated twice, I'm not sure if it will be fully edible for them...

*Edit*
I just checked up on them. The second youngest, two to three days old, has a full crop from mother. The newly hatched one ate a bit when I hand fed them earlier, but the crop isn't clearly visible yet, so I am not 100% sure if Sekhmet was also able to feed him, however I am hopeful that she was. I'll be checking in on them and feeding the chicks more in the morning.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
For the first 12 hours, baby chicks are still processing their yolk which is the last thing is incorporated into their bodies. Mama does not feed them. But they still need to be checked hourly if possible.