• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fascinating article on parrot brains

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I really think this is ground breaking research. It amazes me, though, how far behind avian research is from human research.

Birds have primate-like numbers of neurons in the forebrain

It's sad that they had to sacrifice birds, especially parrots and Corvids, for the study, but maybe the results will lead to improved changes in how we care and provide for caged birds.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I know it's hard to read, but read the discussion at the bottom if nothing else. :)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I know it's hard to read, but read the discussion at the bottom if nothing else. :)
Maybe they were ill and then decided to put them down and study them... thank you thank you for this article!

Last edited:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
It's a great article, thanks for posting.

You mentioned the future of parrot keeping and have got me wondering about that as well.

As per a point that the article brings up, there is no selective pressure that would either bring about or perpetuate intelligence in captivity.

Much of the time the default, and ignorance based, human attitude is that we "save" captive-wildlife from the wild. That is because the wild is (to us) cold and cruel and harsh. But these terms are meaningless because they simply represent our emotions. Or, more to the point, we are placing a conscious demeanor onto the natural world...rather silly. Nature is neither emotional nor does it take a moral stance (good and evil being human constructs). Even longevity, often cited as a benefit to captive life, constitutes a human virtue - a way we place our value system onto another animal. In other words, lifespan itself is simply another evolutionary adaptation bestowing upon the animal enough time, under the conditions, to do its job - which is to pass along its genes. The interesting thing is that within the field of anthropology we can clearly see that human beings were happier at a time when we also happened to have a much shorter life span. The fact is that conditions within the natural habitats of parrots shaped their behavioral as well as physical characteristics, adapting them to their circumstances. Creating the very characteristics (intelligence, sociability, etc.) that we love.

I don't know what the future will bring. But for animals known for their intelligence such as parrots or octopuses, if fully removed from the wild (or if the wild is destroyed) we may never know what they had the potential to become.

It seems that corvids are thriving alongside human beings, and even adapting their behaviors as they live freely among us. Naturalized parrot populations, however, are not doing as well. It is agreed upon by experts that they are struggling, their populations perpetuated in part by escapes.

"Gifts of the Crow" is a great book on the subject matter of avian intelligence. It covers much of what is in the linked article. It's got plenty of science but in a more conversational manner along with many charming anecdotes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Fascinating reading. Especially did not realize: Many birds have cognitive abilities that match or surpass those of mammals

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@LaSelva i agree.

I would like to know how they did a direct comparison with neuronal densities of primate brains, which have gryi (birds do not) and thus increased cortical surface area, and likely increased absolute numbers of neurons. I need to read the article again.

What I find interesting is that they suggest that the increased density may be due to the fact that birds fly. Larger brains (and skulls) to accommodate more neurons may hinder flight ability, thus the avian soln. is to pack more neurons into a smaller space. I also find it fascinating that they say this may account for faster reaction times.

What I would like to see is a similar study on reptiles. I think we would all agree that parrots and corvids are smarter (by human criteria) than reptiles. To really know that increased neuronal density equates with increased intelligence, it would be nice to see lower neuronal density in reptiles, at least in the pallum region.

Last edited:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
@LaSelva What I find interesting is that they suggest that the increased density may be due to the fact that birds fly. Larger brains (and skulls) to accommodate more neurons may hinder flight ability, thus the avian soln. is to pack more neurons into a smaller space. I also find it fascinating that they say this may account for faster reaction times.
The part about packing more neurons into a smaller space made perfect sense in light of flight. The first thing that came to mind when I read the part about faster reaction times is how sparrows can negotiate objects in flight within milliseconds. Then I thought of parrots (particularly my macaw) and how quickly they often nip or "beak" an object that comes within reach. This might provide a clue as to why biting is so hard to manage. In other words, I'm guessing that the speed or "suddenness" with which it occurs (in response to a stimulus) is facilitated neurologically.

I'm going to read the article again myself.

Last edited: