• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Farlie is sick :-(

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
You might want to give him a few Sunflower seeds. I don't feed them as a staple diet but I do offer them as a treat. Maybe Cheddar and Riti get 3 a day each. They have a fair amount of fat and might help Farlie to bulk up! :spinning:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
You might want to give him a few Sunflower seeds. I don't feed them as a staple diet but I do offer them as a treat. Maybe Cheddar and Riti get 3 a day each. They have a fair amount of fat and might help Farlie to bulk up! :spinning:
He gets a teaspoon of Higgins Sunburst Conure Food. It has seeds and stuff in it. He also gets Higgins Sunburst True Fruits Gourmet Treats. Also, Higgins Sunburst Fruits & Veggies Gourmet Treats. It has sunflower seeds in it too. Plus some other stuff. He gets feed well.
Basically, he is getting fruits, veggies, seeds and treats all rolled up in one.
He gets maybe a half dozen sunflower seeds or so a day.
He only started eating these past few days. I think he'll start putting on weight shortly.
I'll get him weighed in a day or so.
I like the idea of him eating so much in a day now.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
He had a great weekend but Monday and Tuesday were bad. I hate this!
Vet wants to see Farlie tomorrow morning, 8:30.

Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
OK, back from the vet. Vet says Farlie is improving nicely and is almost over it. The 6g he lost last week he's gained back this week. The vet let me feel that 'fat' he's gained next to the breast bone. She's happy with him and doesn't want to see him again unless there is something that's gone amiss. His meds are to continue for another week to make sure this crap is completely cleared up. She wants me to stay in touch thru emails, now.

I would like to know what I else can do naturally as far as feeding him goes or administering 3rd party meds to help with a respiratory problem???
What else can I do besides the vet's meds???

While in the waiting room this morning I saw the most beautiful Amazon along with a Cockatoo. Both in for a yearly check up.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I thought the same while giving Riti meds but she surprised me by bouncing back and gaining more trust. I think they know we are helping and while they don't like while it's happening forgive us when it over and they feel better.
Ah Ha! I found somebody else who will help me with his meds. A neighbor offered to help so I'm letting her do all the grabbing and catching and chasing him around and holding him while I administer the meds. :dancing:
I'm not the bad guy anymore. :D

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Ah Ha! I found somebody else who will help me with his meds. A neighbor offered to help so I'm letting her do all the grabbing and catching and chasing him around and holding him while I administer the meds. :dancing:
Better to let them be the "Bad Guy" good idea.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Thot I'd mention that I got him on the scales for the first time this afternoon. (Thanks Mark) Vet has him at 101g and two days later I have him at 106g. I wasn't able to weigh him right after the vet's visit so we'll just have to leave at that for now. ;) :hug8:
He's doing even better today, BTW. :dance4: Almost his old self again. :dance5:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Well 5G (about the same as a Nickel) isn't a whole lot BUT it's in the right direction . I don't look for a set number when I weight DA Crew but I look for trends.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Russ Shade who wrote the Practical Pionus book took one of his non trusting birds to the vet as much to show him what a real bad person would do to him. The vet understood what he was trying to do and handled the bird a bit roughly during his check up. When he handed him back that bird was so glad to be rescued he trusted and loved him from then on.
Nerd used to climb on my shoulder and hide behind my neck after a vet visit and the vet thought it was precious and told him to hide behind daddy when she was done.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I weighed him tonight and he lost a couple g's. From 106 down to 104. He is eating well, mind you, and he's much much better. Caught him sneezing this morning after he got up but didn't show any signs of being ill. He played and loved all day.

Got him on my chest while I was watching a movie and I was able to scratch his belly and neck and head for about an hour. Even got him on his side and back with his little feets up!
YeeHaa. First time that's ever happened. :cheer: :super: :loveshower:

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Sounds like he's pretty much turned the corner and can just be happy Farlie again :dance4: