• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Farlie is sick :-(

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Funny you asked. I was able to slowly reach in with my finger to try to get him to step-up today but to no avail, but I was able to scratch his belly and under his wing. :yes3: He was standing at attention at the end of a perch as tall as he could get and was watching me like a one eyed hawk... I might change his name to, 'One-Eye'. :tongue2:
Don't pet your bird anywhere but on the head. Everything below the head is an erogenous zone.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Hoping he'll be alright ASAP!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that Farlie will be 100% soon.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Oh, forgot to mention that his appetite is waning. He lost 6g this past week. From 101 to 95... I got my eye on him a little closer now. :no:

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
So how's he doing now, hopefully better.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is his weight going back up at all?

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Make sure you keep him in a warmer room. Birds use a lot of energy just staying warm and it energy he can use to fight the illness.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I like it warm too. My bedroom stays about 80-82F. :tup:
I haven't weighed him lately but will. He isn't eating like he used to. I'm guessing he's lost more weight this week.
He started sneezing today. Sneezed all over me a few times. :gag: Not sure if that's good or bad tho. I'm thinking it's breaking up and he's sneezing it out... I hope that's it.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Lots of sneezing isn’t a good sign especially if it’s wet or there’s discharge, indicates some sort of irritation (allergies or something else, potentially a respiratory infection, etc). Also if medication has been administered too quickly before they have a chance to swallow, it can get up their nose through the choana at the back of the throat (or it can be aspirated into their lungs, but you don’t usually see sneezing with that)

Taking care of a sick bird can be so nerve wracking. Hoping he gets well soon!

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You are a very good parront now its time to :party1:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Not sure it's quite the time to party yet.
Good news is that he ate like a little piglet this morning. He hasn't done that in about a week. :cheer:
Boy, he sure does get spoiled when it comes to food tho. He gets fruits, veggies, seeds, grass, pellets and nuts and I can't remember what else he get but it's a lot of varied stuff. He gets 5 teaspoons of goodies. Two of them are pellets. The other three are mixed. He does seem to eat most of it in a day when he's feeling good.
I haven't figured out a way to weigh him yet... :cardshark: I need a small 'T' type perch to set him on cuz he HATES hands and fingers... Unless he's on the floor, THEN hands and fingers are his best friend... the lil' stinker.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi is weighed at the vet in a plastic container without a lid. I am so surprised that it doesn't worry her at all.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
For Riti I use a large tupperware container and zero the scale with it on the scale. Then I pop her into the container and get the weight and when we are done she gets all kinds of her favorite treats to make up to her.

I really only weight my crew to check for trends, gaining or losing too much of a time frame. And remember a smaller bird can eat 5-10+ grams of food at times, depends on the size of the bird, how much a Macac could wolf down I have no clue. Rule of thumb I learned was 10% change should be followed up on, check the next couple of days and if needed take them to the vet.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
We have a member that has a store on Etsy thats called A Parrot Should Play, he does alot of playstands, etc. He might be able to help you out

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For my birds who won't stay on a scale I use a box that I cut air vents into. If you are weighing daily good to do that at @ the same time each day. Put the box on the scale, tare the scale and then put the bird in the box or write down the weight of the box and then subtract that from the weight when the bird is in the box.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My vet years ago just stuffed Nerd in a large enough paper bag and plopped him on the scale before he knew what happened. Worked great as he couldn't see so he didn't fight or get hurt and I'm sure they know what those bags weigh or zero the scale out with it then stuff the victim in.