• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fantastic Vasa photos (pic heavy)

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
:heart: That beak! I also love how prehistoric they look. So beautiful and powerful!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
They're so cute. <3
Big brown, soft, always-babyish eyes. Somehow both graceful and clumbsy.
I love the silvering under the wings and the general body shape. :3

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
They are also reported to be even-tempered and have very sweet dispositions, like gentle giants :heart:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They are also reported to be even-tempered and have very sweet dispositions, like gentle giants :heart:
They are! •Such a doll Pet is. •She loves visiting and her head scritches. •Those wings do seem big for their body. •The feathers are not black but various shades of grey. •They can learn to talk but Pet prefers sounds such as the dog bark, new puppy whining etc. •She does dive bomb the scarlet and the scarlet is not sure about that. •-Pet does like putting her beak on me but doesn't bite. •In fact she has NEVER bitten me. •That is how gentle they are. ••She is quite even tempered and loves being around me. •At the moment she is not too sure of other people. •T has some great pictures also of the Vasa's.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Beautiful Vasas. I love the vasas and would get some if I didn't have cockatoos:) Toos are #1 for me so slim chance I'll have vasas.

But I find them remarkable. Their wings when open remind me of a galahs.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
They remind me of Cockatoos without the crest, :heart:with similar sweet dispositions:heart: I've always thought they were one of the best kept secrets of the parrot world - an undiscovered treasure, both magnificent and expensive :D

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
They are definitely my all time favorite parrot for a reason. <3

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They remind me of Cockatoos without the crest, :heart:with similar sweet dispositions:heart: I've always thought they were one of the best kept secrets of the parrot world - an undiscovered treasure, both magnificent and expensive :D

expensive would be MM, palms or Queen of Bavaria.

Mercedez mentioned wing span. •Body to wing ratio seems even more with the vasa than a galah....reminds me of a vulture in ways with shape and wing span (just on a smaller scale)

fishbait

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kirk
Oh I saw that a month or so ago and have been trying to get Iggy to do the same!!! Did you do anything special other than repetition to facilitate this? So far Iggy just mumbles as if he is practicing to say something! We are holding our breath to see what he finally says!!

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Mercedez mentioned wing span. •Body to wing ratio seems even more with the vasa than a galah....reminds me of a vulture in ways with shape and wing span (just on a smaller scale)
They remind me of vultures aswell, just the whole shape of the bird and the beak, very beautiful :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
50 Shades of grey!

The feathers on the outside of the wings are quite remarkable! •Imagine taffetta •material in light. •The grey material has almost a blue look to it. •That is how the vasa feathers are and photos do not do their wing color justice.

Kirk

Moving in
Real Name
Kirk
They are amazing to watch in flight. They have a wing and tail spread like a raptor and definitely use them. Edgar can make full circles around the house, room to room, and can hover before making a directional change. It's like watching a Harrier Jet.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You describe their behavior so well. They are amazing at flying. The only other parrots that I have seen hover like these are red front macaws. They do remind one of a raptor but then they squish down and are compact and are the loving bird.

Mine gets a small amount of meat a couple of times a week. What does Edgar enjoy eating.

Kirk

Moving in
Real Name
Kirk
He gets a quality mix of parrot seed (seed, pellets & dried fruit), fresh fruit and vegetables, egg and occasional lean meat. I would prefer to have him totally on pellets rather than the seed but weaning him off was problematic. He was already eating a seed mix when I got him. He'll totally ignore the pellets. I mix up the fruit and veggies he receives. If I give him the same thing too often he'll get bored and not eat it. I'll usually give him apple, pear, grapes, some melon, mixed veggies, carrots, etc. but try to mix it up with whatever is fresh. He loves tofu and soybeans after they are steamed. As for protein, I offer him boiled egg, boiled chicken/turkey. He loves, loves, loves the chicken leg bones (from baked or rotisserie chicken). The gnawing is good for him and he eats the rich marrow. Occasional treats will be dry cheerios, piece of whole wheat toast, etc.