• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fantastic page on bird origins

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Some people already know I'm a huge paleo buff by my chosen username here. But how many of you know where your birds come from? I linked a site below with an enormous page devoted to the evolution of birds. I have never come across a single page, that is so comprehensive on the origin of birds as this one.

There are charts, pictures, videos and a wealth of information that's encyclopedic in scope. Much of the information is somewhat technical for those not familiar with evolutionary theory, but the diagrams and videos are well worth the visit. Upon leaving the site, there should be a better understanding of the evolution of birds.

Ornithology Lecture Notes 1 - Introduction to Birds & Flight

Last edited by a moderator:

TITANIS

Here is a clade diagram depicting the entire known dinosaur family supertree. Color codes designate major distinct groups and different shades within are sub-groups. Note: this is not a family grouping of all reptiles. There are no crocodilians, squamates (lizards+snakes) or chelonians (tutles+tortoises) in this diagram, nor should there be. Birds (Aves) are to be found in the approximate 8 o'clock position within the green code for Theropoda...

Click on the diagram, then click again on the icon which looks like a square with a short line going through a corner for full zoom. You will not see the diagram well otherwise. Anyone interested in an enormous version of this many times larger, just go here. :)

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for all that you do, Titanis.:hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Thanks i marked it as to tired to stay up but think this is great cant thank you enough for this find

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks I really like this I wanted to look for dinos when I was growing up

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
great link Titanis, tons of info - thanks for posting it

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: How did I miss this thread for 6 days :faint:

What amazing information Titanis, thanks!!!

TITANIS

Perfs14

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alex
Here is a clade diagram depicting the entire known dinosaur family supertree. Color codes designate major distinct groups and different shades within are sub-groups. Note: this is not a family grouping of all reptiles. There are no crocodilians, squamates (lizards+snakes) or chelonians (tutles+tortoises) in this diagram, nor should there be. Birds (Aves) are to be found in the approximate 8 o'clock position within the green code for Theropoda...

Click on the diagram, then click again on the icon which looks like a square with a short line going through a corner for full zoom. You will not see the diagram well otherwise. Anyone interested in an enormous version of this many times larger, just go here. :)
HI. The link does not seem to work any more?

:(