• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fannie, Fannie, Fannie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I came home to this...see pictures. Did she separate her beak or did she just hit it and make the skin bleed. And if anyone knows how to take a better, clearer, more focused close up with a Nikon Coolpix S3000 any advice would be welcome so I can show this better. Cannot get to the vet until Thurs so I hope this doesn't need a vet. Thank you.

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I can't tell, hopefully somebody will get on here ASAP. I would flush it with a sterile solution and get some cayanne pepper or neosporin on it.

Ginger

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Lola did this same thing by falling when swinging from the ceiling (of her cage) once and brushing her skin onto the surface of a sandy perch I believe (didn't see it but that's what I'm guessing). I washed it out and dabbed some of the AviX soother I believe (basically aloe) and it healed very nicely :) :hug8: I think she will be A-okay!!! Give her some scritches from us!!!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Carole, she will be fine...looks like she was playing hard and hit it with a toy...not bleeding bad, just pushed back...:hug8:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Ok, thanks. I will put cayenne pepper, I already cleaned it and Ill watch it closely. These birds are stressing me out!

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
:hug8: I agree, looks like if we pushed our nail cuticle too far back. She must have been playing pretty rough! :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The BEST way to get close-up pix's is to take the pix from a normal distance of 18-24" away, using the auto setting on the camera. Download the pix, and then CROP the area that you want to show.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Relax........ your bird will be fine. There is no bleeding which is good. Keep an eye on the area for signs of infection. Beaks are very soft somewhat like your fingernail, they heal quickly.

You can always send an email to your avian vet with the photo attached.

gary

Last edited:

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Use your macro function (the little flower). Then you can normally get pretty close.
Sorry to hear he is hurt.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thanks all! I thought it was not too serious but you can never be sure with these guys. Always getting into trouble:rolleyes:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kita's injury when she flung herself off the Atom looked like that... it was just a superficial thing, but the AV also felt that she had "bruised" her beak so she said to watch her for any difficulty eating (because it was too painful) and if she wasn't eating to feed her soft foods for a few days... She was fine and I had to watch for any signs of infection.....it took a few weeks for the scab to completely fall off.....Hopefully your situation will be the same as ours was.....

lzver

Real Name
Laura
My Jessie did something like that last year ... it was just a little cut in the same spot. Cleaned it and kept a close eye on him and it was better within a few days. Hopefully its nothing serious.

They sure do stress us out don't they :rolleyes:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
JUST KEEP AND EYE OUT..LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE FINE THOUGH BUT FOLLOW UP WITH THAT VET VISIT ON THURSDAY..:hug8:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
She was eating and acting completely normal. I was holding her and my son got really close to see her beak and she chomped down quite hard on my finger so no problems chomping down, the stinker.

That beak injury in the picture looked scary. Im a bit parnoid with beaks because my brother in laws teil had something wrong with his beak when they first got the bird, they took it to the vet and the vet touched the beak and it fell off into the vets hands and they had to put the bird down so beak injuries freak me out a bit. But I think Fannie will be just fine. I will continue to watch her for any changes. Thanks all!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Fannie,I hope she will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.