• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Family using self cleaning oven WON'T TURN OFF

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Dexter 's & my room is right next to the kitchen. I woke up to a chemically smell in our room. I came out to find my grandmother had turned on the self-clean function on the oven. She never listens to me when I tell her things like this can kill him. He is fine right now, breathing fine and acting okay. I have no idea what to do. I can't put him outside, it's too cold.and I'm about to go to work for 7 hours.

Please help

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Move him to a room farthest from the kitchen and close the door. Agree with Feather about putting an air purifier in that location and putting a towel under the door. Also turn on the over the range fan. If possible, can you take the day off of work and just spend the day at a friend's house with him.
Is there no way to stop the self cleaning function?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope Dexter is okay. I've been worried and watching this thread.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is everything okay today?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just seeing this! I hope hes ok! You need to tell grandma again and again,,No self cleaning on oven...tell her till shes sick of it, then tell her again.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You could always move the stove out from the wall and unplug the thing. That should turn off the clean cycle.
It's designed not to shut off until the end of the cycle because it's too hot to unlatch safely. I'd be afraid to try to pull it out & unplug it unless she caught it very early; there could be some very hot places. :(

I would ask Grandma point blank why she hates Dex & is trying to kill him. I would not worry about offending her or hurting her feelings as you are trying to drive the point home & she has obviously not taken your pleas seriously. :mad: Yes, she's your grandmother and you love each other, but does she not understand what it will do to you and your relationship with her if she kills Dexter despite your warnings? :banghead:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
He is okay. The oven works okay, my grandma has early dementia and turned it on. She refuse s to believe that teflon, smoking, and self cleaning oven s can kill dexter, as if I a m just saying that because I don't like it. My door has a seal underneath, I shoved a towel under there to be sure. She wouldn't let me turn it off. I watched him as long as possible before I left, the timer had 15 minutes left when I called the uber. I hate when she puts Dexter at risk and won t let me fix it. If it were warmer I'd have put him outside or something. I'm going to go crazy.She seems to think of me as a child (literally turned 20 on monday), speaking to me like one and treating my.concerns like a child insisting their fish needs to go to the vet. She goes off on me any time I disagree with her. She yelled at me once beca use i "forgot to turn off the living room light" before going to bed, my brother had turned it back on before she woke up. I told her I got out of bed to turn it off a little after I got in bed, but she kept yelling. She threatened to kick me and Dexter onto the street because I spilled water hand washing a piece of laundry and didn't notice . She won't so much as turn on the oven can when she cooks. I put up a note reminding her to shut the bedroom door before cooking, she immediately tossed it. I'm terrified I'll lose Dexter this way, and it will break me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry @HolliDaze, it is very stressful and difficult living with some one you know and love who is in early stages of dementia. I have been through it twice and it is one of the toughest things i ever had to deal with. The best you can do is protect Dex as much as possible and really make sure to take care of yourself. It becomes very easy to push your own wants, needs and even health aside to continue trying to make the living situation work for all involved. I hope you can find a solution to this problem. :hug8:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so thankful Dexter lived through this. I was scared that sealing off the room wouldn't be enough.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
She can cook fine, she seems pretty normal except when it comes to me, my family, or dexter. My mother doesn't say anything because my grandmother goes off on anyone who disagrees, she just tells me.to try and deal.with it. My mother will close the bedroom door if she seems someone cooking.

Grandma likes dexter. She opens the door when cooking so she can talk to him. It's tough. She doesn't work, cooking is the only thing she has that makes her feel useful.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
She can cook fine, she seems pretty normal except when it comes to me, my family, or dexter. My mother doesn't say anything because my grandmother goes off on anyone who disagrees, she just tells me.to try and deal.with it. My mother will close the bedroom door if she seems someone cooking.

Grandma likes dexter. She opens the door when cooking so she can talk to him. It's tough. She doesn't work, cooking is the only thing she has that makes her feel useful.
Maybe you and your grandmother can make a standing arrangements in advance as to when she will be doing this. This will give you time to make arrangements for your bird to either not be home or time to move him to another part of the home away from the kitchen. Dementia is tough on everyone, especially the one who has it. It will only get worst over time. I would plan now, and don’t take her outburst personal. Easier said then done but, people with dementia are not the same people we knew growing up. Sorry :sadhug2:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@HolliDaze As mentioned before, this is really tough to handle and so easy to forget yourself. I was a caregiver for my in laws for over 19 years. I totally forgot myself and was a total mess. So chin up, do what you can, don't argue with her, listen but try not to respond. Hang on, I am sure I am speaking for all, we're here for you.

Kodigirl210

Grandma likes dexter. She opens the door when cooking so she can talk to him.
I have dealt with the anxiety associated with dementia and it is not for the faint of heart. My friend’s mother seemed to like animals as she moved farther down the road whereas before she didn’t at all. If your grandma likes Dexter could you build on that relationship? Could the 3-of you spend some quality time together every day so she feel more invested in Dexter & then will have more concern for his well-being? It doesn’t have to be long. 10-15 minutes a day just
she's aware of him & that he's the same good boy she talks to when cooking? Then it might become as easy as suggesting she wait to clean the oven until your home so Dexter is happy/safe/well.

You're in a tough situation and it's just a suggestion off what you have said. I truly, truly wish you the best and hope things get better for you & Dexter!

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I think the issue though is that her grandma doesn't think that the oven is an issue to his health... it's a really difficult situation if you can't convince her otherwise.

Kodigirl210

@Linearis - I completely understood that. My suggestion was in the hope that if she became more attached/invested in Dexter, she would care enough about Dexter that she would "pretend" to care or "pretend" it wasn't a big deal to wait. Basically an "out," so she doesn't lose the importance that she wants in the situation, but Dexter is still safe. Thanks! :hug8: