1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Falling for Meyer’s

Discussion in 'Poicephalus Place' started by AmyJas, 6/9/19.

1. Nikomania

Nikomania Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

I have a Meyers! She is cute, cuddly and a feather ball filled with energy! She loves to fly any opportunity she has. She'll even hover around inside her cage!
    She doesn't say any words. Her vocalizations are on the quiet side. Her feathers are downy soft to touch!

AmyJas, MauiWendy, Eloy and 2 others like this.
  2. MauiWendy

MauiWendy Jogging around the block

Wendy
    I had a Myers ages ago. He wasn't loud by any means, but he did have a tone like a smoke detector. He was a lot of fun. My redbellied, he can be ear piercing loud. He is very chatty, but when the sun is going down, and unless he is distracted, oh boy does he get on the noisy side.

fashionfobie, AmyJas and Eloy like this.
  3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    Haha yes Ripley talks but he whispers. He can whistle like every single bird outside :lol: but if you want to hear him talk (except for once in a while he says HI! really loudly) you have to be right next to him.

He also does a mean car alarm, cell phone ring, smoke detector, squeaky door, microwave, and little child scream. :rofl:

AmyJas, fashionfobie and Eloy like this.
  4. AmyJas

AmyJas Walking the driveway

Amy
    I've looked at lots of pictures, and somehow the shade of Ruppel's eyes and Red Belly eyes bothers me more than that of Meyers or Senegals. Not sure why.

Agreed, your Meyer's was beautiful! Interesting that the Brown Heads are actually larger. I will have to keep on the look out for them as well to see how I like them in person. Thanks!

Eloy and fashionfobie like this.
  5. AmyJas

Amy
    So I haven’t been able to get very good pics of the Meyers. The acrylic they are behind is a bit scratched. I asked to interact with a chick, but it looks like she just took a bath, so it doesn’t show her how she normally looks. But the important thing is, the chick was very sweet, totally docile and happy to cuddle in my arms. She seemed to have no fear of me. 30B5EB12-E5A0-470F-8C28-94903799B57D.jpeg
    So this leads me to believe, as I’ve read, that some Meyer’s can be rather cuddly and affectionate—very different than the other types of Poi chicks I’ve encountered at this store.

Now I’m really looking forward to the idea of getting a Meyer’s one day (although a Brown Headed is still on the table since I haven’t met one yet).

11bryces, iamwhoiam and fashionfobie like this.
  6. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Natalie
    What a cutie, it is a shame they cut her wings.

I am still very much thinking of a meyer. They are not the easiest to find in Australia, but I have been in email correspondence with a person in the parrot society, and they know a different person who has some breeding pairs. At the end of July-August I will be digging in deeper. :) I have not yet asked him about a ruppell's, but I think I might toss that idea around too.. if I can find one :)

iamwhoiam likes this.
  7. AmyJas

Amy
    I know, but I can understand why they would do it for safety reasons in a bird store around customers who may not be educated about handling birds properly. You'd have birds flying around all over the place and potentially even flying out the front door. What I don't like is that with my previous cockatiel Lilo, they informed me that they gave her a fresh wing clip after the fact before I took her home (I thought they were just going to clip her nails!). With Lilah, I made sure to tell them nails only. Hopefully her flights grow out soon.

I'm starting to get used to the blood red eyes on Ruppells and Red Bellies. :) Though I think if I ever got a second Poicephalus I would just try to find a sweet rescue, whatever the species. For the first one I may go with a store like this one, just because I've never had a larger parrot before, only small birds. So I'm not sure about starting out with a rescue, but I will take my time thinking about it and doing more research. It's a shame they aren't very easy to find in Australia. Although you guys also have greater access to a lot of birds that we don't in the States! :p

8. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Natalie
    You are correct that there are lots of birds here and they are surprisingly affordable. I guess it is a case of the grass is always greener.. ekkie is on my dream bird list too :p

Yeah they gave Pi a clip when I picked him up also, I related to your experience with Lilo. It was very frustrating. My parrotlets have never been clipped in their lives and the confidence difference is very obvious.

9. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Its bad!!!... Beak is much bigger & more powerful that the little black cap...In fact a meyers head is at least 1/3 beak...

11bryces likes this.
  10. 11bryces

11bryces Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Brice

:backout:okay .....:scared2: no worries there :scared1:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)