• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Falling for Meyer’s

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
While picking up my new cockatiel Lilah at the bird store, I saw some Meyer’s chicks. I’ve considered them as a future bird from what I’ve seen online, but they are super cute in person! I know, I know, when I go back for a weigh-in this week (part of this store’s policy) I’ll have to try and get pics! I’ll ask to interact with them too to get a sense of their personality. I don’t think I would consider going beyond “small birds” for years, until my budgies are passed because of the additional care, space, and upkeep required. But I’m definitely curious about them for the future and I like to plan ahead.

For those who have experience with Meyers or other Pois, are they good apartment birds or should I wait until I am a homeowner before even considering one? I’ve heard they can screech, how loud and often do they do this?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no experience with Meyer's but I do have experience with red-bellied parrots and a Senegal. Mine do not screech and they are not loud. They are chatty and whistle. I don't think you would have an issue with noise but then every bird is different.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i have been in love with mayer's for a while now and i also have been considering one but im scared of the potential tantrum/bite, i have had a black cap conure and her bite were very painful sometimes so if a meyer's has a stronger bite im a bit worried.

i will be interested in reading the response from Meyer's parront on this thread as i am also considering one.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am also looking for more Meyer posts so I want to follow this too. I might be bringing one into my flock at the end of this year. :D

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She hasn't updated the blog for a few years which is too bad. The photos are excellent and the information about her experiences are worth reading.

Why a Meyer's, btw?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Why a Meyer's, btw?

Well long story short. I find them beautiful and really cute. Their humble grey colour with the intense splash of green/blue and yellow.. really awesome :) My short list of birds back in the early 2000s included a Meyer. I really like the Poi's I have met. I like that the Meyer is a little more compact. I have also read that they are more independent then a Senegal. --Now reading is not knowing from experience, which is why I am here :). I have also read that they are more sociable and can get on with more than one family member.

Nothing is set in stone.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think most Poi almost are the same. (and all are individuals) (so ask @iamwhoiam she has great knowledge of Pios. )
I have had a Brown headed, (very sweet and calmer then the Senegal) and a Meyer. (The Meyer are more active, but not much)
They where both very sweet, only doing flock-calls in the morning and in the evening. They are not known for biting like the Conure.
If you read their body languish well and respect them you will not get bitten.
They are excellent flyers. Probably one of the best flyers indoors. (Pionus is the same)
They are great doing trick training, they like to learn.
I have also read that they are more independent then a Senegal
Not true. But the Senegal is more active.
i have had a black cap conure
Pois are not known for biting like the Conure. Neither of mine ever bit me hard in a angry or aggressive way. (only for protection)

Both mine I had where rescues from very bad homes that I foster and they both healed well.
Pois can be very bird aggressive, that is the only bad thing about them.

@MauiWendy Have a Red bellied and a budgie. (not in the same cage)

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well long story short. I find them beautiful and really cute. Their humble grey colour with the intense splash of green/blue and yellow.. really awesome :) My short list of birds back in the early 2000s included a Meyer. I really like the Poi's I have met. I like that the Meyer is a little more compact. I have also read that they are more independent then a Senegal. --Now reading is not knowing from experience, which is why I am here :). I have also read that they are more sociable and can get on with more than one family member.

Nothing is set in stone.

If you get a Poicephalus you need to name him/her Riker. :D I've been tempted to use that as a bird name but I always changed my mind.
You should check out the Ruppell's. They are dimorphic like red-bellied parrots but the female is the one with the most color. They are not easy to find.
If I found one locally, I would find that bird hard to resist.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Riker is a super cute name idea.

I did not realise all Poi are similar. Very interesting. The Ruppell's are gorgeous! I will see if I can find them in Australia. --Maybe my Poi selection with be less pedantic if personality wise they are similar. There was a gorgeous Senegal looking for a home not long ago, but I somehow had it in my head that Senegal wouldn't be the same fit.

Body language wise I should get the hang of it :) I am used to a very deliberate bird. Also highly reactive parrotlets--they mean what they mean :p

We are hoping to expand the flock over the next few years. We are slow moving on this front. I have been researching ekkies for a decade.. and I am always thinking about one of those too. The first non-cockatiel parrot I held was an Ekkie. She bit my knuckle and wouldn't let go. I have a scar there now. It was at a shop and they just pulled her out of the cage and handed her to me.. so I think the whole bite was avoidable. A black capped conure is another that I have always loved. My high school bedroom was plastered with parrot posters. I used to get Bird Talk Magazine. Every time it showed up in the mail I would read it cover to cover twice. They had these gorgeous centre folds and I would take them out and put them on the wall. I kept my old Bird Talks and they are in my book shelf. Many of the pages are nibbled on by my Petrie. Petrie would look at all the pictures with me. I remember spending all my money on a new cage for Petrie because I read about better cage sizes. My mother was mad at me for blowing all my savings on a "bird".

There are many birds I have always loved, but slowly weaned the choices down as I know many wouldn't' suit my situation. Now that we live in a house and we are finally financially secure I can bird up my life. We were both in school for most of our lives.. Med school for my partner and I am actually in my PhD.. but I have a full scholarship and I am going to continue to research from home. Zippy was the most impulsive bird I ever brought home. He was just so sad and lonely at rescue. --I couldn't let him stay there.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brown heads are supposed to be to be one of the calmer Pois.
My Senegal is generally mellow whereas I find my red-bellies are sometimes a bit more temperamental, especially the males.
The female RBs seem to be gentler than the males, at least mine are.
When it comes down to it, though, it does depend on the individual bird.
My red-bellies range in personality from very gregarious and outgoing (Sophie) to a bit on the shy side (Zack), then there is everything in between.
Sophie is good with everyone except her sister. That's when the temper flares. Have no concerns letting others hold her. She likes being the center of attention. Can't say the same when it comes to sister, Claudé. She sometimes likes to grab on tightly and bite and she seems to be less confident than Sophie. Their older sister (RIP) was super sweet and gentle with people as well as with other birds. Her favorite thing to do was to hang out with me.
My Senegal was always friendly to all but he has become sort of grumpy as he has gotten older.
I consider my Senegal and the RBs to be very intelligent, inquisitive and silly. Even though it might sound strange, they seem to have a sense of humor.

Maybe you will be able to meet and interact with different Pois and then be able to decide what you want to get. I haven't generally researched any of the birds that I have until after I got them except for the red-bellies. Didn't know much about Senegals but liked the babies at this bird store I would frequent and chose one. As for the red-bellies, I wanted to breed Pois and had the choice of Senegals or red-bellied parrots and since RBs were less common I went with those.

You need to post more photos of your birds!

I kept my old Bird Talks, too. I have them in magazine holders on shelves in the walk-in closet.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
You can read through some of @Shade 's posts about her Meyer's.
Just Poifect!: Search results for meyer's
Great, I will have to read through this. Thank you!

Why a Meyer's, btw?
Same as @fashionfobie said, I find them really beautiful and cute. I also am trying to stick to Old World birds for the time being to prevent new birds being affected by my current birds' dust. Meyers sound relaxed, but affectionate--a little more affectionate than a Senegal from what I've read. And are not too loud, which is very important since I live in an apartment and have no plans to buy a house in the near future. But I don't have much experience with them or other people who do, so I am also planning to do as much research as possible before seriously considering them.

You should check out the Ruppell's. They are dimorphic like red-bellied parrots but the female is the one with the most color. They are not easy to find.
If I found one locally, I would find that bird hard to resist.
Ruppells also have beautiful coloration, but I have to say, I've always found their red eyes a little creepy! Lol. I think a bird store in my area sometimes sells Ruppells though, so I'll have to check them out in person sometime.

I think most Poi almost are the same. (and all are individuals) (so ask @iamwhoiam she has great knowledge of Pios. )
I have had a Brown headed, (very sweet and calmer then the Senegal) and a Meyer. (The Meyer are more active, but not much)
They where both very sweet, only doing flock-calls in the morning and in the evening.
Yes, Brown Headed's seem very sweet as well from what I hear. How does their size compare to a Meyer's though? I got the impression that the Brown-Headed were slightly smaller, but I haven't seen one in person. I'm glad to hear people's Meyer's on this site aren't too loud!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meyer's have red-orange eyes. You probably saw a baby and babies' eyes are dark and then they change color as the birds gets older.
Red-bellied parrots also have that eye color. I think it's beautiful. The yellow eyes of the Senegal look scary to me but my Senegal's eyes never turned that very bright yellow. They are a greyish-yellow.

Meyer's Parrot Personality, Food & Care – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

The eye of Roswell...:D

eye2.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I adore my Poi boy, a Jardine's, and my friend has a Brown head that is really similar in a lot of ways.

My one thing to add would be that they are prone to respiratory infections from my understanding, and so I would personally not keep them with any dusty birds like cockatiels :)

The first bird that ever bit me was a Meyer's :lol:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
This was my Meyer. A younger male. So not yellow on the head yet.

x20.jpg

x21.jpg

I have pics of my brown headed too, but on a hdd so I will need my PC to see them.
I got the impression that the Brown-Headed were slightly smaller, but I haven't seen one in person.
The Meyer are smaller, but not that much.
Both Brown headed and Meyer are gentle sweet birds, but if you can find a Brown headed that will be my recommendation.
Sweet, funny and wise birds.
I did not realise all Poi are similar.
They are more similar if you consider that they all are individuals. :)