• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Falkland Islands

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I recently found an old school friend from Uruguay who was actually from the Falklands and is living there. While connecting to him, this Falkland site came up Log into Facebook | Facebook - and I thought some of you might be interested in seeing part of this world that I don't think most of us know of, let alone plan on visiting.

They will only allow photos of the Falklands but I thought AA shutterbugs might be interested in visiting and talking to them.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
A cruise there is on my bucket list

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
You should check out the photos on the site, they are beautiful. In the 60's Falklanders weren't allowed to go to Argentina because of the Falklands (U.K.)/Malvinas (Argentine) contention about whom the Falklands (I'm British) really belonged to. My school, The British School (in Uruguay), had a small group of boarding students, the majority (if not all) from the Falklands. There were several girls and the one boy (of course) I remember is Peter King who lives in the Falklands. He was wild and woolly but very lovable (and fun). You can find him on FB, he's self employed and my maiden name waaay back then, was Sandra/Sandy White.

One of the Falkland girls, Colleen, had once told me that you had to make sure you'd closed your kitchen/any doors or you were likely to find a penguin in your kitchen. Just keep in mind that our winter is their summer ...

Then you probably would've loved my first cousin, Tagea Bjornberg, she specialized in krill (smaller than plankton) and was a professor at the University of Sao Paulo. She'd gone on several trips to Antarctica and, though retired, still speaks at the Oceanography Department of the USP in Sao Sebastiao, state of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Things one remembers - can't remember what I made for dinner last night without really thinking about it.

Bon voyage!

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Beautiful!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I believe you can post something written, just not pix. They have some beautiful wildlife that I doubt I'll ever see myself. Plus of course, penguins, sea lions and orcas & the landscape. Can't find anything like that here in Illinois.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I would so love to see and photographic penguins!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well if you do have a set up to get there, let me know and I'll FB Peter or look him up on FB. One of the photographers to look for on the site is Andrew Burgess, he has some beautiful photos.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I would so love to see and photographic penguins!
The penguins give me the urge to hug them, which I'm sure would not go over well and the chicks are adorable. And the sealions and seals look great until you come across a photo of one yawning and realize how many teeth they have.