• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Facts Noted with the removal of pellets.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
It isn’t proven, it’s an assertion by you based on bias anecdotes. What does organic certification have to do with anything?
What has not been proven?
Call it what you like. I still am stating FACTS, not my problem.
Yes UI am biased, when I have SEEN the damage fabricated foods has done.
What is your experience? How many birds do you deal with every year.
I deal with a 100 or more a year, and help any number of other people. Who are very happy with what I have helped them with.
The best thing about this they have all become good friends.

It has everything to do with this!
You have zero evidence that what you have been told about pellets is true.
And I just pointed out. How Harrisons lie.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to think it was only druggies who were blind to the truth, but the internet proved me wrong.
WHOA, hey, there is absolutely no reason for this garbage. Your aggression is unfounded, unwarranted and unnecessary.

You're allowed to have your opinion and so is everyone else. Please behave with civility and respect.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you find his (@clawnz ) attitude to be offensive, provincial, or juvenile, I strongly encourage you to employ the ignore feature. I can assure you that he doesn't realize or care that he's only providing anecdotal evidence. I can further assure you, from attempting to engage him in productive discourse, that if you disagree with anything he says, you're attacking him and are patently wrong. I suggest you not waste your time.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I should probably tell you how to do that, in case you don't know. Click on his name beneath his avatar on the left side and select "ignore" on the far right. It's pretty small.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My gcc has brilliant shiny feathers, has never plucked, is happy and energetic, plays a lot, has never tapped, is a calm bird, eats some veges and fruit but shuns most, has good blood work, and eats pellets......and those are facts too

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have also posted before that my quaker STARTS plucking when he stops eating pellets but THAT fact isn't ever taken into consideration :lol:

Max83

Walking the driveway
I think that like there isn't "an optimal diet for everyone humans" and there isn't even for parrots.

I mean every bird is different, we all try to do the best we can providing fresh food , vitamins etc...no one know the universal truth, I go for experience, learning from others and try and error sometimes.. nutrition is always complex and controversial for the optimal quantities of nutrients like proteins, vitamins etc...it's the same for humans and dogs

IMO pellet are a good integration for the diet. I wouldn't feed them alone of course

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
One can't rely on personal testimonials because people tend to form false correlations and causal relationships - as our brains are adapted to do so. In addition, people are often suggestible -abandoning exploration of other options for a quick answer. One false correlation posted on the internet in the guise of expertise can be adopted and then repeated by thousands. "Height dominance" comes to mind.

The problem is that when we settle we assume we know and cease to explore other options. Regardless of what the topic is the scientific method doesn't work this way and is one reason that it incorporates peer review.

As far as the OP and the topic at hand, show me a controlled study that in any way establishes the link you are suggesting. This is not to say you are wrong as a hypothesis can become a factual relationship.... but it's not going happened because a bunch of people are convinced. If that was the case the existence of Bigfoot would be a solid fact.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I am not really sure if these stories mean much, there are many differences in how these birds were cared for, activity level, day schedule, sleep schedule, species of bird, age, etc etc.

But interesting stories.

I don't think pellets should be everything the bird eats because variety is key. But I am not sure about completely eliminating pellets as the answer. The pellets are there to fill in the gaps in the bird's diet. Of course, what the correct diet should have in it depends on the species. Amazon parrots should not have seed being part of their daily diet because they are prone to obesity while the smaller birds like Lovebirds/Parakeets benefit from having some seeds in their diet because they are so active.

I really do think diet depends on the species and activity level of the bird.

Jaen

Moving in
One can't rely on personal testimonials because people tend to form false correlations and causal relationships - as our brains are adapted to do so. In addition, people are often suggestible -abandoning exploration of other options for a quick answer. One false correlation posted on the internet in the guise of expertise can be adopted and then repeated by thousands. "Height dominance" comes to mind.

The problem is that when we settle we assume we know and cease to explore other options. Regardless of what the topic is the scientific method doesn't work this way and is one reason that it incorporates peer review.

As far as the OP and the topic at hand, show me a controlled study that in any way establishes the link you are suggesting. This is not to say you are wrong as a hypothesis can become a factual relationship.... but it's not going happened because a bunch of people are convinced. If that was the case the existence of Bigfoot would be a solid fact.

I think the issue is the OP has a different definition of "facts" than is generally accepted by those familiar with Science. The OP has stated that they have a lot of personal experience with birds and for him that is sufficient to prove that what he is claiming is an irrefutable fact. However, science is a little more stringent when it comes to stating facts, mainly that it must be properly tested in controlled experiments to weed out as many variables as possible and that any conclusions are peer reviewed. Without these controls we can quickly escalate to a world of dueling "alternative facts."

I think the OP either hasn't had the scientific method explained to s/he properly or doesn't subscribe to it. And I agree that he is 100% entitled to his own opinion and to share the knowledge gained from his experience, others too are entitled to point out where there may be dissenting opinions and why those ideas dissent from his own. I can't speak for anyone else but if he had titled his post "observations noted with the removal of pellets" I wouldn't nearly take as much issue with it.

Last edited: