• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

F10 on plants?

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone!

I am thinking of buying some organic indoor plants for my bird room for her to place around with when she's out of the cage. All plants are obviously going to be bird safe and I am going to start with a Boston Fern and Maiden Hair. I understand that the soil can be dangerous for parrots, as such I plan to cover the soil with stones.

However mould is also a concern and I've been reading up on ways to prevent and destroy mould such as spraying with a mix of 4tsp baking soda + 1tsp dishwashing soap (without bleach or degreaser) to 1 gallon of water. Would F10 work as a replacement for this mixture, or as a replacement for just the dishwashing soap, or to not use it at all?

Thank you.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've thought of doing the same thing myself. My hibiscus tree ended up developing mushrooms. I forget what kind but apparently they are pretty common. They were safe around the tree but not my bird. Because they were extremely toxic to my bird I decided to treat the tree very aggressively. Which meant completely removing all the soil and replanting it. I decided as an extra precaution I spray the roots down with F10. Now replanting with all new soil is rough on any plant so my tree did look pretty bad but it came back beautifully so I don't believe F10 harm the tree much.

I had the tree outside for most of the summer and just recently bought it back inside. I do plan on putting it back in the birdroom soon. And I also plan to spray it with F10 every once in a while too. Its essentially going to be a little experiment. I haven't heard people using F10 this way so I believe it an "off label" use for it.

@Hankmacaw is someone who very knowledgeable about F10 so she might know use with plants. Although when I try looking for info I couldn't find anything. Which leads me to believe there's not a lot of info on F10 and plants. It makes sense as this isn't the intended use for it. But I think it's quite possible it could work. And that's why I'm going to conduct my little experiment :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know F10 have a range of products which should deal with any concerns with the plants. View attachment 289026
Interesting!! Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything when I was searching but maybe I gave up too soon. Do you know of anything specific product?

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I think the concern wouldn't be the plant dying off, but it may kill beneficial bacteria and fungi that are also symbiotic in some manner. However if it is the variety that causes plant diseases... worth a try XD

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Screenshot_2018-10-30-10-45-28_1.jpg
Interesting!! Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything when I was searching but maybe I gave up too soon. Do you know of anything specific product?
I do not know the whole product range as they develop new products. I have got there email, website and address. Screenshot_2018-10-30-10-45-39.png Screenshot_2018-10-30-10-45-28_1.jpg

Attachments

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ok I found their website and while they have lots of different products I still couldn't find one to do with plants :shrug: That said while I'm a fan of F10 but I didn't like their website so much. If the have search function I couldn't find it. And I don't like that you have download things either. Maybe someone else will have better luck. Here's a links :)
Disinfectant Product Leaflets and Msds

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
While I have used it on just about everything I'm not much of a green thumb so no plants here.

I have poured it on an anthill. :laugh: Definitely killed the ants and I don't recall that it killed the grass. Closest story I have to helping you. :D

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
While I have used it on just about everything I'm not much of a green thumb so no plants here.

I have poured it on an anthill. :laugh: Definitely killed the ants and I don't recall that it killed the grass. Closest story I have to helping you. :D
Interesting enough they do have an insecticide line of products. One thing I will say I find frustrating about their brand is I don't where to buy their products from Besides the concentrated formula that I get

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Interesting enough they do have an insecticide line of products. One thing I will say I find frustrating about their brand is I don't where to buy their products from Besides the concentrated formula that I get

The US has not FDA cleared the full line of products for sale here. In fact every year they have trouble even with the one we buy.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The US has not FDA cleared the full line of products for sale here. In fact every year they have trouble even with the one we buy.
That makes sense. I know about 3 places in Canada you can buy it easily. The Parrot Shop being one of them. @Parrot Hotel & Shop do you run in problems bringing it into Canada? Sorry I'm not trying to hijack this thread :surrender: :)

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
That makes sense. I know about 3 places in Canada you can buy it easily. The Parrot Shop being one of them. @Parrot Hotel & Shop do you run in problems bringing it into Canada? Sorry I'm not trying to hijack this thread :surrender: :)
I thought I was going to have issues bringing it in on my last order but it went through easily for me. I do have a courier in the US that brings my orders over for me, so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I'm curious to know if it will work on plants, we are getting these gnats in the office b/c of all the bloody plants we have lol would love to know if it works on plants.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm curious to know if it will work on plants, we are getting these gnats in the office b/c of all the bloody plants we have lol would love to know if it works on plants.
FYI, for fungus gnats you can use the product BT, a bacteria that kills the larvae of fungus gnats and mosquitos.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've gardened all my life and for the mushrooms (fungus) you are talking about, I've always used Clorox. Just shake the roots bare and soak the roots in a mild solution of Clorox and water. You could replace the soil with some pasteurized soil from the nursery and the natural flora will regenerate or you can boost it with commercially produced flora. Except I don't know if the commercial flora has fungus in it.

F10 sounds great to me. It has the broadest spectrum of fungus/mold killers out there. Even kills Aspergillosis - my favorite.

Hmmm, interesting.

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the replies everyone! And no worries @Sarahmoluccan about hijacking the thread~

I've only seen F10SC available here, I'll give it go anyway. I'll probably start the plants outside while I experiment with the F10. Though I am pretty confident it will work now after reading through the evaluation spreadsheet on their website. (thanks for the link Sarahmoluccan)