• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

F10 - Fool proof how to clean

BK313

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I've ordered some F10SCXD & a box of 10ml syringes to measure with. As I think I understand from another, older thread on here, I'm supposed to measure just under 4 ml of F10 to a 32 oz spray bottle of water?? If I'm wrong, please let me know. I get a bit nervous with my baby when it comes to cleaning with new products.

The goal is to clean a brand new cage that I've ordered online and have put together safely for my Amazon to move into from her smaller cage.

My main question (besides the ratio that's safe to use) is do I need to rinse the cage and allow to air dry in the sun after that, or do I spray & wipe it before it's safe to put her in it? I've even purchased a brand new hose to use for this cage so I can be sure it's clean.

Also, how would I clean the aluminum bowls with it, or should I stick with dish soap for that? I've always had ceramic bowls which I've either put in the dishwasher or hand cleaned with paper towels & dish soap so I want to be sure I'm doing this alright & safely. I've unfortunately not been able to find ceramic bowls that fit this cage yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is best to leave the F10 on the surface you are cleaning and letting it dry. It will leave a disinfectant on the surface. F10 is absolutely no-toxic and non caustic. One of our members gave her bird a bath in it and took a bath in it herself when her boy brought itchy nasties home from school. I nebulized my bird with F10 when she had Aspergillosis.

It's really, really good stuff and completely safe.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, 4ml to 32 oz is a 1 to 250 ratio, which is best for disinfecting. For general cleaning you can do 2ml to 32oz, or 1 to 500.

F10SCXD includes detergent and should be rinsed off after allowing to sit for 10 minutes minimum.

F10SC does not need to be rinsed as it does not include detergent.

Yes, I would clean the bowls the first time with F10 and then just dishsoap or dishwasher after

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I estimate it as long as its between 250 to 500 strength for general disinfecting. I have the no rinse w no soap. I use it in the bathroom & kitchen too.

BK313

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Yes, 4ml to 32 oz is a 1 to 250 ratio, which is best for disinfecting. For general cleaning you can do 2ml to 32oz, or 1 to 500.

F10SCXD includes detergent and should be rinsed off after allowing to sit for 10 minutes minimum.

F10SC does not need to be rinsed as it does not include detergent.

Yes, I would clean the bowls the first time with F10 and then just dishsoap or dishwasher after
Thanks for explaining the difference between the two! I remembered there being some difference and remember ordering the SCXD because I thought it would be more of a disinfectant. But maybe next time, I will just order the F10SC since it would not need to be rinsed. I will need to get the cage outside and down a couple of steps so if I can leave it inside and spray it and be done with it, that would be ideal. Until then, I will be taking it outside to leave the F10 sit and then spray it off.

Just so I completely understand, is there no wiping or scrubbing that needs to be done after I spray the F10 on the cage? Do I just spray and let sit, then rinse?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You'll just want to make sure that the surface is clean prior to using the F10. Example, if there is poop on the cage, if you spray F10 its going to not be able to penetrate the poop and won't disinfect underneath it.

Otherwise yes, it's just a matter of spraying liberally and letting it work its magic :) The detergent means you can work with a not totally clean surface, admittedly, as that's the purpose of it

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
F10 should be left on the surface for at least 10 minutes before wiping it up. Ideally, you should not wipe it up and let it evaporate.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I volunteer at vet clinic, that's all we ever use to clean n disinfect with. I do most of the bird cages at the clinic. My tool chest for poop is painter's knife and putty knife and spray bottle of poop off. After everything is poop free, it gets sprayed down with F10, allowed to be drippy wet and wiped down 10 -15 minutes later. Most of the time its evaporated by then.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Minnet

Moving in
Real Name
Minnet
It is best to leave the F10 on the surface you are cleaning and letting it dry. It will leave a disinfectant on the surface. F10 is absolutely no-toxic and non caustic. One of our members gave her bird a bath in it and took a bath in it herself when her boy brought itchy nasties home from school. I nebulized my bird with F10 when she had Aspergillosis.

It's really, really good stuff and completely safe.
Hi. Did your bird become better after the nebulizing? Also how do you dilute it for the nebulizing part? My cockatiel sneezes a few times a day so I want to disinfect everything? Can I spray it in the air in my bird room to disinfect the air also or is that not safe for the birds to breath it in

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi. Did your bird become better after the nebulizing? Also how do you dilute it for the nebulizing part? My cockatiel sneezes a few times a day so I want to disinfect everything? Can I spray it in the air in my bird room to disinfect the air also or is that not safe for the birds to breath it in
Has your bird seen a vet?

Bear in mind that sneezing a couple of times a day isn't necessarily a sign that your bird is sick. You probably sneeze a couple of times a day but it's because you've breathed in an irritant, not because you're sick. A vet will be able to work out if your bird is actually sick, and guide you on the next steps to take. If your bird has a respiratory infection it will need medicine to tackle the infection.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When my Jasper had aspergillosis I tried nebulizing her for 10 days with F10 and it didn't seem to do any good. Europeans and even mores so Mideasterners use F10 to nebulize with and many swear by it. My Dr. said it was ok to try.