1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

F10 - Fool proof how to clean

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by BK313, 6/12/18.

1. BK313

BK313 Checking out the neighborhood

I've ordered some F10SCXD & a box of 10ml syringes to measure with. As I think I understand from another, older thread on here, I'm supposed to measure just under 4 ml of F10 to a 32 oz spray bottle of water?? If I'm wrong, please let me know. I get a bit nervous with my baby when it comes to cleaning with new products.

The goal is to clean a brand new cage that I've ordered online and have put together safely for my Amazon to move into from her smaller cage.

My main question (besides the ratio that's safe to use) is do I need to rinse the cage and allow to air dry in the sun after that, or do I spray & wipe it before it's safe to put her in it? I've even purchased a brand new hose to use for this cage so I can be sure it's clean.

Also, how would I clean the aluminum bowls with it, or should I stick with dish soap for that? I've always had ceramic bowls which I've either put in the dishwasher or hand cleaned with paper towels & dish soap so I want to be sure I'm doing this alright & safely. I've unfortunately not been able to find ceramic bowls that fit this cage yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Peachfaced likes this.
  2. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    It is best to leave the F10 on the surface you are cleaning and letting it dry. It will leave a disinfectant on the surface. F10 is absolutely no-toxic and non caustic. One of our members gave her bird a bath in it and took a bath in it herself when her boy brought itchy nasties home from school. I nebulized my bird with F10 when she had Aspergillosis.

It's really, really good stuff and completely safe.

TikiMyn, BK313, Shezbug and 5 others like this.
  3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    Yes, 4ml to 32 oz is a 1 to 250 ratio, which is best for disinfecting. For general cleaning you can do 2ml to 32oz, or 1 to 500.

F10SCXD includes detergent and should be rinsed off after allowing to sit for 10 minutes minimum.

F10SC does not need to be rinsed as it does not include detergent.

Yes, I would clean the bowls the first time with F10 and then just dishsoap or dishwasher after

TikiMyn, BK313, Hankmacaw and 3 others like this.
  4. Sweet Louise

Sweet Louise Rollerblading along the road

Pat
    I like the syringe idea! And also appreciate the explanation of the different types of f-10

BK313, Shezbug, Mizzely and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna

I use an old medicine cup ;)

BK313, Shezbug and Sweet Louise like this.
  6. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

I estimate it as long as its between 250 to 500 strength for general disinfecting. I have the no rinse w no soap. I use it in the bathroom & kitchen too.

BK313, Hankmacaw and Shezbug like this.
  7. BK313

BK313 Checking out the neighborhood

Thanks for explaining the difference between the two! I remembered there being some difference and remember ordering the SCXD because I thought it would be more of a disinfectant. But maybe next time, I will just order the F10SC since it would not need to be rinsed. I will need to get the cage outside and down a couple of steps so if I can leave it inside and spray it and be done with it, that would be ideal. Until then, I will be taking it outside to leave the F10 sit and then spray it off.

Just so I completely understand, is there no wiping or scrubbing that needs to be done after I spray the F10 on the cage? Do I just spray and let sit, then rinse?

Mizzely likes this.
  8. Mizzely

Shawna
    You'll just want to make sure that the surface is clean prior to using the F10. Example, if there is poop on the cage, if you spray F10 its going to not be able to penetrate the poop and won't disinfect underneath it.

Otherwise yes, it's just a matter of spraying liberally and letting it work its magic :) The detergent means you can work with a not totally clean surface, admittedly, as that's the purpose of it

BK313 likes this.
  9. Matto

Matto Sprinting down the street Vendor

Matt
    F10 should be left on the surface for at least 10 minutes before wiping it up. Ideally, you should not wipe it up and let it evaporate.

Hankmacaw and BK313 like this.
  10. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    I volunteer at vet clinic, that's all we ever use to clean n disinfect with. I do most of the bird cages at the clinic. My tool chest for poop is painter's knife and putty knife and spray bottle of poop off. After everything is poop free, it gets sprayed down with F10, allowed to be drippy wet and wiped down 10 -15 minutes later. Most of the time its evaporated by then.

11. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)