• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*eye twitch*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I love Lafayette, I love how he flies even with one wing clipped I love how he zooms around and loves to be with me. However I need some advice on how to keep him entertained/on something other then me for longer then 5 minutes when he's out. Normally I don't object to him landing on me, we've only been together for a few weeks so I'm still working out boundaries with him such as no flying on me when I'm trying to go to the bathroom. However we've run into a problem and if something doesn't change I'm going to head desk.

This won't be the case all the time, but right now my commissions have gotten really back logged from my cat having gotten sick. I've taken on new ones to try and pay off some vet bills so right now I'm a taaaaaaaaaaaad bit high strung. I need to knock them out so I've been working on them pretty much whenever I'm awake. They still get attention with me, but when I give them their mash or some other treat I settle down to start working. This is unacceptable to lafayette. He launches himself at me every time I start working. I mean that, each and every time. I'll just sit down on the computer, conure on my head, put him back, sit down, conure on my head. Yeah it's funny, but I'm starting to eye twitch because these DESPERATELY need done. ASAP.

My only other option right now is putting him in the cage while I work, but that puts him in the cage too long for my comfort. I don't want to go in another room to work since I don't quite trust my bird proofing and I don't want to find out I missed something by a horrible accident. I have no idea what to do right now but continue putting him on his cage. I even put up a climbing net, toys, a hanging play stand, lots of goodies, foot toys anything I can think of. But if he's out, he's trying to land on my head.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. It won't always be like this, but until I work my way through these commissions I'm getting more and more frustrated by the constant beat of wings and his attempts to eat the mouse, the keyboard, the screen, my hand, my necklace, and anything else he can get his beak on that might be valuable and distracting.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sorry this is difficult, but it seems the only way to accomplish what you need to do is keep him in his cage for now. Think of it this way, what if you decided to go on vacation or were sick? There would be no choice but to keep him in. Short of getting up every minute or two to place him back, I don't see what else can be done.Boundaries need to be established NOW, before you have a spoiled bird on your hands. How about if you move his cage right next to where you are working? That way maybe you could reach a reassuring finger in or treat once in awhile. Then, when you allow your self a break, take him out for snuggles for a few minutes. Remember, this too shall pass...:hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yeah I'm thinking that's what's going to have to happen, though I hate to do it since I like having him out quite a lot so he can get his exercise and enjoy flitting about with his toys. He normally runs back and forth at the bottom of the cage quacking the entire time he's in there. Hopefully I get through my commissions and when I'm in a better state of mind stress wise we can work on boundaries. I just know better then to do it right now when I'm easily frustrated over my work load.

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
So Lafayette is only clipped on one wing?

Edit: I think I'm the one that needs to eye twitch.

Last edited:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yup he came that way. he has a light clip on his left wing. Not that you can tell. O o He flies anywhere and everywhere he wants to perfectly fine.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is a shame, you think people would have learned by now how dangerous that can be. Luckily it doesn't seem to affect him, but for many this can be disastrous.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
A light clip on one wing? Not sure what you mean by dangerous unless you mean throwing off his balance, but it doesn't affect him. I haven't noticed him having any problems. O o That bird literally flies circles around me at times.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, it is the worst thing a person can do. As I said, lucky for Lafayette it doesn't slow him down really, and for that you see there was no reason to even do it. For some birds, this can make them drop like a rock. Whoever is doing it, should stop.

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I didn't know they ever did just one wing. I am glad he can get around good (obviously, lol), I hope he gives you a little break so you can get your commissions done.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad the one wing clip is not throwing off his balance...how stupid of anyone to do that....I would say t he only w ay you can getanything done is to keep him in his cage..but do allow him som e out of time...it has to be a balance.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Maybe you can compromise, Kristen, and put him in the cage for 2 or 3 hours, then take him out for 1 hr and play with him, etc and give yourself a break, then put him back again for a couple more hours, etc.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Now to figure out if piper gets to stay out since she's not a problem or put them both away. I feel bad since I love giving them as much out time as possible on my days off, but if I don't get some work done soon I'm going to go bonkers. And no, he's not unbalanced at all. Now I fear for when he has all his flights. O o That's going to be trouble!

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I was thinking the same as Marie! After all, you do need to take regular breaks for yourself, too! That will be sufficient for him to get out of cage time.
Provided he has enough to occupy himself with I believe it's actually good for him to learn some independence! As to Piper, I'd see how it goes with him in and her out since you don't have issues with her disturbing you. Or maybe vary it?

LittleGems

As much as I like to be able to have my birds out when I am home, I also think it is very important that they learn to also accept being caged when I am home. Not everything I do is bird compatible. Some days they can be out a lot, other days very little. Lafayette is still young, this is a good age for him to learn that in the cage is good too. Its not like he has a tiny little cage with nothing in it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.