• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Eye Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdibble

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stephanie
Good Morning, I am new to the board, found it in a panic search- I need some help PLEASE. My military macaw has an eye injury. Last evening she was hit in the eye with a cd/dvd disk- the disk was laying on the rail of our loft and was bumped- the disk fell off the rail- sailed like a frisbee down to the lower level of our house, hitting my macaw in the eye while she was on her play perch.

She has a small cut just below her eye, bled some, applied cool water and kept her calm- she didn't even make any sound from the injury. Through out the night, her eye become somewhat cloudy, and swollen, we have kept it clean. Now this morning she sits on her play perch with her head tucked under her feathers towards her back- she keeps her eye closed MOST of the time.

Any suggestions?

Our closest avain vet is 2 hours away-

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
I don't have experience with an injury like that, but a trip to the avian vet ASAP is definitely recommended.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would get in the car and get her there. She is obviously in distress and pain. Cool compresses will help her until you can get her seen.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Ouch!
If you can, could we have a picture?
You did good with her...and I'm sure she is feeling it and not usual for it to be swollen and her resting....Keep and eye on her, see how much she is eating/pooping/drinking and how the eye looks in the next 24 hours...
You could put in a call to your vet, talk to him and see if he has internet and send him pictures and go from there....:hug8:
Unless she starts "scratching" at it or it starts looking like it is getting worse...I would take it in 24 hours sections....
You have some MAJOR weather coming your way so maybe calling the vet and talking with him and deciding now what to do would be better!:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry your baby has an injury. What I would also be concerned about would be a scratch or cut to her eyeball. Sometimes it can be so small it cannot be seen by just looking at it. I agree that a call to your vet is prudent. He may suggest bringing her in to have a look before the bad weather hits in case it needs treatment since it may be more difficult later on.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,poor baby. I hope would keep doing what you are,and get her to a vet as soon as possible.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I wonder if it would be possible to bring your bird to a local vet and see if this vet could do a phone consult with the avian vet to get the proper meds to take care of the situation?
An eye is an eye, and the non-avian vet should be able to see what is going on and talk to the avian vet for safe meds for the bird, at least temporarily.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Hi Stephanie,
How is the eye today?

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hope your faby's eye is okay. Please keep us posted.

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
Hi, you have been given good advice in the above posts. You can keep the eye and surrounding area clean using saline solution for eyes, contact solution is fine. Next call your avian vet or one near you and ask about using ophthalmic drops. Ask about an antibiotic drops that can be used for the eye and small laceration. Only use what the vet suggests for eye drops.

A couple of other points. Disinfect the birds cage, food bowl, perches as well as any place the bird stands. Wash your birds feet antiseptic soap and rise well. Doing both will help keep any contamination to a minimum should the bird rub the wound.

Please keep the forum posted.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw I am sorry she got injured. How is she doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.