• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Experiences with multiple parakeets?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Either one would be so lucky to have you and Sky. I remember @JLcribber saying before that it's it's best to get a bird that looks as close to the deceased bird as possible. Do either one of those look like Sky's old buddy? It would nice if you can find a place in your home for both though ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both. :) They would be very lucky to live in your wonderful home and be taken excellent care of.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You guys are great. I could find a place for both, but they all have to be caged together. Poor Sky spends most of his time on the side of the cage closest the kitchen/great room area where i am the most. He is not eating a variety of food like he did with Pip. He would follow Pip around. They loved each other. I think the female looks the most Pip.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It is recommended to have more males than females, but at one point in time, I had more females than males. I wasn't breeding though, so everything was okay. Quite a lot more antics with multiples!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've always heard it's best to have males outnumber females in a budgie flock because multiple females will fight with each other. I don't know how much truth there is in that, though.

If you can get a handle on three budgies at one time, why not adopt both? ;)

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I would get both, but this is coming from the crazy lady with six, lol. I love my budgies, they are great little birds. The more budgies, the more crazy antics. You also get to see them form a flock, which can be very behaviorally complex. I personally think watching a flock of budgies is more entertaining then watching TV, playing a game, or even reading a book. Just know, more budgies, definitely means more mess!

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I've always heard it's best to have males outnumber females in a budgie flock because multiple females will fight with each other. I don't know how much truth there is in that, though.

If you can get a handle on three budgies at one time, why not adopt both? ;)

This is true, but it depends on the personality of the female(s) in the flock. Both of my boys (Manny and Happy) are sweet and docile, and Jersey is very .... let's say "matriarchal." She's definitely in charge.
Have you read up on how to properly introduce budgies and move them all into one cage? I'd recommend a little bit of research so there's no aggression.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
This is true, but it depends on the personality of the female(s) in the flock. Both of my boys (Manny and Happy) are sweet and docile, and Jersey is very .... let's say "matriarchal." She's definitely in charge.
Sounds like your flock is another example of what I've heard...females are in charge in a budgie flock...:)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I would vote for getting both of them. We have three and while they have their squabbles, they get along. We started out with one that was found outside on the patio and unclaimed. We adopted two a few months later and he really enjoys the company; although sometimes I swear he gives me a look when he is annoyed with them and wants to hang out with me, lol.