• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Exercising wings for a clipped bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I hope this is okay here.

Bubby (Rose Breasted Cockatoo) is clipped, he had been trying hard to fly for awhile, and he eventually gave up, he just plonked to the ground each time he tried to fly. So, when he was out of his cage, I would sit him on my arm or hand and slowly move my hand/arm up and down in hope he will open his wings and flap them, and he did, only he kept flying backwards every time and kept breaking tail feathers so I stopped doing that.

Some of you may know that Rose Breasted Cockatoos are prone to fatty tumors, I am still battling with Bubby to get him on a better diet, though he eats a few things that are good for him. I worry about him getting fatty tumors and him not being able to fly around like he should be able to. (he is only 9 months old)

Does anyone have a suggestion, or suggestions, on exercises I can do? Or something I can do that involves even a little exercise.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What about teaching him to hop to your hand with a few wing flaps inbetween?

Otherwise, if he enjoys it, hold him on your hand and "run" through the house, and maybe he'll flap? If he doesn't like this, don't do it.

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
I don't have any suggestions but I do want to say that "Bubby" was one of the names my son suggested for our new B&G. How fun!!! :hug8:

~Ann~

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I've heard that boings can help clipped birds stay in shape because it causes them to work to keep steady while perching or swinging...like us sitting on a physio ball. Makes you work to stay balanced. :)

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I struggle with this with Prudence. I weighted both girls a few times last month, and Pru is a steady 130g while Penny (who flies all day long) is only 110g :eek: I assume it is because Pru doesnt fly.....I must find a way to encourage her to fly since her flight feathers are coming in now.......

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Yes, flight will tone them up adding breast muscle and "beefing them up" . :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ann, do you have a name for your B&G? I like the name Bubby, but between Bobby (my Bourke’s) and Bubby it gets confusing. :huh:

Monica, I could try the first suggestion, however the second one would probably result in him flying backwards when I do it. He has a boing in his cage that he does use, he hangs up side down off of it (as well as other stuff in his cage) and flaps his wings. It is a real shame that his wings were clipped, especially since these ’toos are prone to fatty tumors like I said.

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I wrestle with my birds, tug o war, things like that. I also make them run.

Last edited by a moderator:

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I have been doing wing exercises with coral since I got her clipped at 4 months old. She's now a little over 2 years old and fully flighted. I still do wing exercise with her because it's been incorporated into our play time.

It's really hard to describe the exercise, so please ask questions if you need any clarification. What started it all was to get her to step up to my fingers.. once she got the hang of that.. we walked around the house. What i noticed was that at the slightest lowering of my fingers, she would expand her wings. So while she's on me, i would slowly lower my finger a bit more until the wings are fully expanded... I did this slow, and gave positive cheers and smiles. Remember to get very excited when it's done.. and give her treats if you have any around.

As time goes by, you can speed up the motion.. lowering your fingers by a foot or more... you will notice that they will start flapping... Soon she will get more confident and will flap without much effort from you, because you made it into a fun thing to do.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Remember to make it fun!!!

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Renae - I had a list of boy and girl names thought out and figured I'd choose one based on the DNA sexing but we're all so impatient at home that we couldn't wait!

So in order to be fair, I had everyone put their name choices in a hat and we chose.....my son won with one of his names, Rigby. At first I didn't like it but because its kind of a unisex name and easy to say and so far, unique!

I do still love Bubby, though......:D

~Ann~

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I also make them run

I love this--but I'm afraid to ask HOW you make them run!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I also make them run

I love this--but I'm afraid to ask HOW you make them run!
Well if your bird likes to go after toes. Wiggle your bare toes on the other side of the room and watch them come running. Of course lift your toes before they get there. :D

If they like balls, roll a ball across the floor and watch them go after it.

One of Tika's favorite games is toss the empty kleenex box off the couch. Dad throws it back up there. He goes after it and tosses it back to the floor. I only have to do it 50-60-70 times in a row before he gets tired of it. :)

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
Maybe try practicing flapping over a bed or couch? That way there will be a soft landing.
Christa

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Instead of trying to incite flight from your hand we have a little t-stand that doesn't have a base on it. We got it from the bird show for $10 and thought it was worth it to help this lady's small business and give our conure a more secured grip (flesh is soft :D)
it works well.
You can twist and twirl it and the bird will often use the wings to keep balance or instead just fly off. It's great encouragement either way. I suppose you can do the same thing with a good rope too.

Status
Not open for further replies.