• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Excitement and nippy

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
thos is about my 10month old gonzo(slender billed cockatoo). Lately he has been very excited, he will start flapping his wings, then lose his balance and go on to get mad at me and try to bite. He also will not stop nipping and pinching, especially on my shoulders. He will spend all of his time chewing in my shirt, but he'll also bite my shoulders. I tried telling him no, but he'll go right back at it. I tried putting him down, but as he does not know step up yet it's very hard. When training to step up, i timed it and he lasted 5 minutes. Not sure if that is considered long or short for a cockatoo his age haha. I also haven't found food that he loves enough to work for yet. But when it gets a little later in the day, he'll usually calm down for about half an hour for scratches before getting sleepy and getting grumpy before bedtime. Still trying to figure out what it is that he is asking for, but I'm slowly learning. Any advice about the nipping would be greatly appreciated!

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Sounds like he's got a very busy beak, I'd try redirecting his attention with a piece of wood or other toys when he gets nippy, as in putting the toy in between you and the beak. Good luck with your little one!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like a baby that is trying to push the limits. I'd let him out to play and fly around for an hour or two before trying to hold him or cuddle him at all. He may just need to work off some energy before calming down enough to interact appropriately. Also, foot toys. It can be as simple as a small wood block wrapped in newspaper or paper towels. Something he can hold in his foot and chew on instead of chewing your fingers. If you find that he simply cannot be distracted from chewing on you, then put him back in his cage for a 20 minute or so time out, or you can just get up and leave the room for a little while. I'd only do that latter option if there isn't anything in the room he can destroy that you care about and only if he's safe. Also, don't flinch or react with drama when he bites or chews your cloths. If he tries to be naughty, hand him a foot toy. If he goes back to chewing on you, then put him back on his play gym, or in his cage, or you leave. Chewing on humans should be absolutely the most boring thing he has ever done in his entire life. Also, wound up and excited cockatoos tend to bite. So don't try to get him excited. A lot of people like seeing their cockatoo display, so they will get the bird all wound up and then wonder why they got bit. If he's one of those birds that likes to bite when he starts flapping his wings, just put him somewhere else the instant he starts looking like he wants to flap or display.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It might be a good idea to keep him from shoulder rides until his manners develop a bit more. It's hard but holding him on your hand without letting him up to your shoulder will allow you to provide more direct feedback for him so that he can begin to learn what is the way to behave. You can respond more quickly to set him down before he bites.

Some birds are never good on a shoulder. Rhubarb only goes for short rides there once in a while (and only after being told invited to do so by us saying "shoulder" and lettering her step there directly from our hand). If we let her run up the arm and claim the shoulder by herself, she turns into a nasty pirate bird and provides free ear piercing when we do anything she doesn't like.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Good advice from everyone. Gonzo's looking for and pushing his limits.

When Milton plays, he tends to get excited...the longer we play, the happier and more excited he gets. He will get over-stimulated, which will lead to biting....therefore, only I...or someone who is experienced with 'toos are permitted to have playtime with Milty.

Also, Milton is not permitted shoulder time...ever. I value my ears and face too much...

MrFabs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Andy
I have a similarly aged slender bill, Barbie, and she seems to have a lot of similarities to Gonzo. She's a very picky eater but her absolute favorite thing to eat and what I use for training sessions is pine nuts.

Like others have mentioned, I usually don't have much trouble redirecting her attention towards something that is chew toy approved when needed. However, if I look away for any time at all she will remove as many keys on my keyboard as she can! The keyboard is her favorite toy in the house by a longshot.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I get this every morning Harley/Ghost is so excited to get up in the morning that when I go to feed him he is so excited that he tries to get out of his cage and I try to stop him and he attacks me biting me several times on the fingers ...I do not react but take the bites to put him back in the cage hoping that the next morning will be better ...some mornings I beat him to the door but most times he is right there ....I have tried to let him out for a lil bit to see if I can put him back later but it doesn't work he is just riled up and bites me anyway ... not to sure what to do about this :depressed: