• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Excessive Scratching

EchoIsHere

Moving in
Hi!
I have noticed within the last number of weeks my scaly breasted lorikeet has gained a habit of excessive scratching. It always appears to be the same spot on her neck where she will scratch repetitively even when offered a distraction. I haven't noticed her doing it in her cage or my shoulder just mainly when she is perched on my finger. It's something I've noticed over a few months however in the last couple weeks it has been happening more frequently. I tried checking the area for something that might be causing it but couldn't see anything.
It may also be important to note that occassionally when on the bottom of her cage she would repetitively stomp one of her feet. I had an ongoing battle with ants and always assumed one had crawled on her foot and was irritating her. I've also noticed it when I put eucalyptus leaves or flowers there and so I figured that they similarly irritated her feet when she walked over them.
Someone suggested it could be a kind of nervous habit but I'm not sure as to what the cause would be, particularly when it's only displayed while on my fingers. I also assume she is female but she has not been DNA sexed.

Anyway I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems or have any idea what the cause could be.
Any advice or ideas is appreciated.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
How often does she get showered? She might just need to bebathed more often! Does she get plenty of sunlight or vitamin D3?

EchoIsHere

Moving in
In summer she used to shower around every second day in her water bowl or a bath I provided (or both in the same session!). Now that's it going into winter she gets bathed slightly less often probably around twice a week.
She usually gets put out on pur porch every day for at least a couple of hours and is placed near sunlight in the house for the rest. In saying that I'm not sure how much direct sunlight she gets because she is usually placed in the shade. And I'm not sure what affect that may have.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Have you consulted your avian vet? Maybe a complete work up blood, fecal, skin check.

EchoIsHere

Moving in
I haven't consulted an avian vet yet, but that will be my next step. Just been seeing if anyone else has any clue first.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Diet can also cause itchy dry skin.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok what are you feeding? What are using for tray papers?

EchoIsHere

Moving in
She's on a diet of vetafarm forest fusion and sometimes gets native Australian flowers that she is allowed and occasionally fruits. I've been wandering if perhaps she doesn't have enough fruits incorporated regularly enough? Currently she just has regular paper lining her tray but the tray is placed beneath bars on the bottom of her cage so she can't actually reach it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have noticed within the last number of weeks my scaly breasted lorikeet has gained a habit of excessive scratching.
What makes you say this is excessive? Birds preen and scratch a heck of a lot. Perhaps 60 to 80% of their time is spent caring for feathers. There are no outward physical signs of anything wrong. That means if you're still worried then your bird needs a medical workup. That is your first priority.