• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Evolution of the Little Aquarium

Levent Kale

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Levent Kale
Hi eveyone,

Here is my new tank set up (second last picture) the tank is in its third year. The pictures are in chronological order showing the evolution of the tank (33liters).

Here are pictures from first day to the present.

You comments are welcomed.
IMAG0077.jpg
IMAG0181.jpg IMAG0477.jpg
IMG-20140224-WA0000.jpg 20150114_014751.jpg 20141117_231612.jpg 20141212_011754_2.jpg 20150824_221001.jpg

Attachments

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I love it!!
What progress :)

Levent Kale

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Levent Kale
I love it!!
What progress :)
Thank you very muck, its really a research -learn - do and redo sort of process. Actuall now the tank is reall settled in and is great to watch. In the 3 years I have lost 5 fish, the rest of the fish have been there since the begining.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Oh so lovely! I have a tank that needs revamping....
Got a new angel fish last night, he is super cute. I am having an algae problem the last few months. Not sure why though. Nothing has changed in my tank. Any thoughts?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Levent Kale Your tank is beautiful! I love it's natural wild look! :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Odin algae outbreak happens when you have excess nutrients in the water mixed with too much light.

I'd decrease the amount of time your lights are on plus do an extra water change. Do the fish eat all the food when you feed within 2 minutes? If not you are feeding too much at once.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
@Flipper I likely over feed if that's the case. The lights are on 24/7. It just seems strange, I have had this tank and various fish over the last 15 years and never had algae before. Thanks!

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Very pretty! I don't know much about live plants, but I've been thinking about trying some out. Are they hard to maintain?

Levent Kale

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Levent Kale
@Flipper I likely over feed if that's the case. The lights are on 24/7. It just seems strange, I have had this tank and various fish over the last 15 years and never had algae before. Thanks!
Hi,

I think there can be many factors for algea, If you start getting algea this means that there are too many nutrients that the plants are not using an thus giving algea the chance to thrive and get the upper hand.

Your lights are important, what kind of bulbs you use and remember to replace the bulbs after after 6 - 12 months as after that they have no affect on the plants and promote algea growth.

You can also increase the number of live plants to take up the surplus nutrients in the water buy doing so you starve the aglea so that it cannot grow.

You can look at your water flow, see if it is ciiculating the tank properly, as algea loves dead spots with little or no water flow.

One final thought is your gravel is fairly big sized and thus allowing a lot of the uneaten foods to fall through the nooks and crannies and then turning into algea food :)

These are some factors that come to mind....

Levent Kale

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Levent Kale
Very pretty! I don't know much about live plants, but I've been thinking about trying some out. Are they hard to maintain?
Hi,

Live plants in the aquarium are fun as you get to see them grow and change as time goes by. There are some plants that grow very very quick and then there are other that take there sweet time. Like the fish in your tank they also have needs (light, gravel, nutrients).

The plants I have in this littke shrimp tank (mosses, Ceratophyllum Demersum and Pistia stratiotes) are very easy plants that grow on their own practically without any difficulty.

Levent Kale

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Levent Kale
Oh so lovely! I have a tank that needs revamping....
Got a new angel fish last night, he is super cute. I am having an algae problem the last few months. Not sure why though. Nothing has changed in my tank. Any thoughts?
Hi,

Thanks for the video :)

I am also a Canadian, I lived in Toronto for 20years and have now moved to the motherland :)

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
What kind of lights do you use on your tank? Freshwater has always been harder for me to keep going. Saltwater is easier for some reason but I love the look of a freshwater tank with plants and shrimp!

Buzzard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jess
What a lovely little tank!

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I really like your tank set-up!

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I love tanks with live plants. I've wanted to put in live plants for a while, but I have a huge pleco that will devour them. As soon as the 125g tank is ready for her I hope to make her old 75g tank a planted one.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
That's an awesome tank. It looks really nice. do you do any saltwater.