• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Evergrowing beak?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Hi,
I don't have a parrotlet myself, by my friend does. He was telling me how he has one where he is constantly having to trim his beak because if he doesn't, it keeps growing to the point where he can't eat!

I have not heard of this. Is it something that happens to parrotlets? What could be the problem?

If my friend keeps it trimmed, there seems to be absolutely nothing else wrong with the bird. Curious as to why this may be happening.

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I adopted a cockatiel who's beak was so long it almost touched her throat, I trimmed it myself with nail clippers, and it grew back fine.
She never had it happen again but only lived for the rest of that year so who knows.

I think it came from depression, and lack of beak activity but really I don't know what else causes it, maybe they did not even have toys in her cage.

Deb76

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
overgrown beaks can be quite a few different things. It can be a lack of chewing, a liver problem, or even disease such as PBFD. If it is happening at a very fast rate and the bird has toys to chew on a vet visit might be a good idea to rule out liver problems or other issues.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I have a budgie who crashed into a covered window on his very 1st trip out of the nest box/ cage at 1 month old he'll be two this coming June His over grows because when he crashed his beak was cracked - The vet said he may out grow it

but in the mean time we trim him up and file it a few times a month

Also when I got Shadow (budgie got him in 2007) his beak was over grown - he chewed on NOTHING what so ever took him to the vet to get it trimmed and he's still not a big chewer but at least now every now and then he will use a cuttle bone

Does your friends bird chew on things? wood, cuttle bones, toys, etc. If so then I agree with Deb It'll need to see a vet

as long as they are chewing on things then their beak should not over grow if it does it is usually a health problem .

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Baby and Missy have never experienced problems with their beaks being overgrown.

Baby and Missy have been naturally filing their beaks through me maintaining a good supply of wood to chew, toys to chew, perches designed to trim beaks and nails , and cuttlebones in their cages.

When they go in for checkups or to get their wings trimmed , my vet always checks this.

An overgrown beak can be the result of health problems including trauma, developmental abnormalities, nutritional imbalances, polyomavirus-like infection (finches), or liver disease based on my knowledge.

Trice

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I always make sure that at least one of the perches my birds can use is a rough stone one and they tend to use it to keep their beaks in trim and clean them off after a messy meal.
Always have said to Leroy since a baby Grey, after each meal, "clean your beak" and she goes off to the stone perch if in her cage and wipes it down each side to get it clean.
If she happens to be out on me while eating then I get the same treatment and she wipes her beak in me!That tells me what she thinks of me!:rofl:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love My Zons has a p'let with this issue. There's a pic on the check-in thread.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the bird has any kind of "scissor beak" the beak will not wear evenly and can get overgrown quite easily. Same with any kind of beak injury where the beak becomes distorted in shape.

Both my TOOs need to get their beaks trimmed. Tika has a slight scissor beak and Amanda's is deformed from an injury.

Disease like fatty liver will also cause it grow abnormally fast.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, my Parrotlet has an issue with beak overgrowth top and bottom. He was seen by one of the best Avian Docs around Greg Burkett in March and had two extensive blood panels run. Nothing came back with anything with his liver. He does not have AFLD. He did however have some elevations in kidney function and low calcium.

His beak had been examined under bright light in a dark room. There is discoloration present underneath the keratin, but that has been there since 2002 and it was once questioned by his breeder. His beak issue did not start happening until mid summer of 2007. I was sincerly hoping I'd find an answer from "Dr. B" as he's known, but he had nothing to share and found it also odd.

I trim the beak myself, the Vet shapes it. Growth happens as fast as 4-6 weeks before it needs to be trimmed again. He has not been on a seed only diet at all, he's been on Harrison's lifetime fine since 2002 with very little seed mixed and and never gets sunflower seeds. He has always had fresh or frozen veggies, now it's all fresh mixed in with beak appetite veggie delight.

Today, he gets cooked and fresh veggies and fresh fruit. I also give him a warm mash of the crumbles from Hagan Tropical pellets. I also add cinnamon which is good for diabetes and bee pollen. He eats red and blue fruits such as blueberries and strawberry's (his fav) which are full of antioxidants and vitamins. I bump the calcium up by scraping cuttle bone over his warm mash. His quality of life is great, he's my special needs guy. He's in great feather, plays, chirps, flys around and is his usual self.

I now watch proteins in lieu of any kidney issues, to help them not work so hard if there is an issue. Droppings are normal as they can be.

He will go back to the Vet in the spring for a check up again. But for now, I manage and take the best care of him. He hatched June 30th 1999 and he's over 10 and has been with me since I got him at 6 weeks.

His picture is in the check in thread. :)

Last edited:

hoose

Moving in
I bougth apr. of parrotlet`s from a pet store ,because the male`s beak was not in line with the bottom . pluss it was vary out grown.There color yellow was off I thought. I took my drumall with the sander on it , and sanded his beak down as much as I could. Now there color is much more yellow. I sand his beak about every 2 week`s his name is Popeye and her`s is sunshine. I read that this beak out of line can be coused by bad hand feeding. I hope they will give me some babies, but if not that`s ok to.:D

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Yes, my Parrotlet has an issue with beak overgrowth top and bottom. He was seen by one of the best Avian Docs around Greg Burkett in March and had two extensive blood panels run. Nothing came back with anything with his liver. He does not have AFLD. He did however have some elevations in kidney function and low calcium.

His beak had been examined under bright light in a dark room. There is discoloration present underneath the keratin, but that has been there since 2002 and it was once questioned by his breeder. His beak issue did not start happening until mid summer of 2007. I was sincerly hoping I'd find an answer from "Dr. B" as he's known, but he had nothing to share and found it also odd.

I trim the beak myself, the Vet shapes it. Growth happens as fast as 4-6 weeks before it needs to be trimmed again. He has not been on a seed only diet at all, he's been on Harrison's lifetime fine since 2002 with very little seed mixed and and never gets sunflower seeds. He has always had fresh or frozen veggies, now it's all fresh mixed in with beak appetite veggie delight.

Today, he gets cooked and fresh veggies and fresh fruit. I also give him a warm mash of the crumbles from Hagan Tropical pellets. I also add cinnamon which is good for diabetes and bee pollen. He eats red and blue fruits such as blueberries and strawberry's (his fav) which are full of antioxidants and vitamins. I bump the calcium up by scraping cuttle bone over his warm mash. His quality of life is great, he's my special needs guy. He's in great feather, plays, chirps, flys around and is his usual self.

I now watch proteins in lieu of any kidney issues, to help them not work so hard if there is an issue. Droppings are normal as they can be.

He will go back to the Vet in the spring for a check up again. But for now, I manage and take the best care of him. He hatched June 30th 1999 and he's over 10 and has been with me since I got him at 6 weeks.

His picture is in the check in thread. :)

this was probably done but thought i'd ask...... if he is a male, was he tested for Testicular cancer? I've read that is another cause for a beak over growing

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Is the Parrotlet on an all seed diet? Piggy had an issue with his ever-growing beak until we kicked his fatty liver disease due to his all seed diet before he came to us.

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
Gosh I hope my little Noel doesn't get this problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.