• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Evening out flock dynamic

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I’m looking into bringing home a new baby in maybe a year. I really want to even out the flock dynamic because 2 girls and a boy housed together really isn’t working. I plan on seperating echo and housing her with the new baby if they get along. The issue is that even though my fids get in flock scuffles, they really can’t be without each other. I mean echo definitely can, but Cael screams his butt off if he can’t be right next to echo, and Olive does the same for Cael. Echo could care less about the two when she’s hanging out with a human, but on her own she needs a bird.

The reason why I want to seperate them is because Olive is incredibly jealous of Caels affection to Echo. She pulled out one of echos feathers a couple days ago. Luckily, the cage is big enough for echo to get away from Olive, but since Cael always wants to be near echo and Olive always wants to be near cael, she can’t really run far.

Cael is in love with Olive too btw, he just loves echo a little bit more.

Any advice?

Would getting a new bird be a bad idea?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its a good idea.. 3 is a bad number in the bird world.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Thanks for the quick responses! I’m going to get a double flight, I just need to make room for it. I’m thibking of getting rid of my bed and getting a futon instead. Oh what I’d do for my fids

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If it were me personally trying to balance dynamics, male but this may end up not working at all either. So there is that...or maybe Echo is the hot girl and will have two boys? Cheekies can be so opinionated.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I could always keep the divider in the flight cage to seperate them. Echo gets along with everyone, she’s such a doll. Cael loves baby birds strangely enough, though he’s never interacted with baby cheekies, only baby suns and jendays. I guess I’ll have to wait until hormones hit with the new baby. Everything was perfect with my flock until then :(

On another note, I’m speaking with Steve Garvin from the Feather Tree about picking up a baby from his flock. So I might add a pineapple turquoise, mint, suncheek, mint yellowsided, or yellowsided dilute to my flock soon!

With that being said, if anyone has a baby they need to rehome in like 5-7 months I’ll also be interested in taking it home instead of getting a baby from a breeder.

Gahhh, I said no more babies but here I am getting a baby instead of an adult.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I could always keep the divider in the flight cage to seperate them. Echo gets along with everyone, she’s such a doll. Cael loves baby birds strangely enough, though he’s never interacted with baby cheekies, only baby suns and jendays. I guess I’ll have to wait until hormones hit with the new baby. Everything was perfect with my flock until then :(

On another note, I’m speaking with Steve Garvin from the Feather Tree about picking up a baby from his flock. So I might add a pineapple turquoise, mint, suncheek, mint yellowsided, or yellowsided dilute to my flock soon!

With that being said, if anyone has a baby they need to rehome in like 5-7 months I’ll also be interested in taking it home instead of getting a baby from a breeder.

Gahhh, I said no more babies but here I am getting a baby instead of an adult.
Parrot Education and Adoption Center... - Parrot Education and Adoption Center | Facebook

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Thanks for the link Chandra!! I might visit the rescue over spring break if my family goes to soCal. They have another cutie that I’m considering too! I’ve also looked at the cheekies up for adoption at Mickaboo, but unfortunately (for me) most of them are paired up. If anyone knows any rescues closer to Northern California let me know as that’s where I’m at!

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Thank you, Monica!

I think I know the rescue you’re talking about in Sac, but I can’t find the website for it. Luckily, I think I saved the email address of the lady in charge. I just have to find it.