• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Even the Doctor is stumped...

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Oh dear , hope it gets better soon. Makes me remember what a vet once told me about horses. He said you could put them in a totally padded stall and they'd still find a way to hurt themselves. Seems the same with birds

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Aww, poor baby! :( I hope he stops picking at it so it can heal up! :hug8:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
He's chewed a bit at his right foot (the one Sherbie bit) closest to the nail and left foot has a little more damage. He's being a turd about taking meds (not opening his beak). I decided to try and see if he would still take pureed baby food from a syringe, and he did with excitement, so tonight I will spoon out a little baby food and mix his meds in that.

I can't stay mad with a face like that.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Baby food! What a great idea!

Secret is being a pain with her meds......I'll try that one!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Baby food! What a great idea!

Secret is being a pain with her meds......I'll try that one!
It worked pretty darn well! Not easy to mix it together with my teeny tiny medicine amounts. I think I'll inject them in to my bigger syringe next time instead of mixing it before and trying to spoon it in there. Wish the foot cream were drama-free like the medication is now. He gave me a nose piercing.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This sounds similar to what happened to my nanday Scout. I didnt realize that a side door in my caique's cage was not secured. I NEVER use this door but being a caique, he found it and opened it. I came home from work to frantic screams from Scout.

On top of Scout's cage was Zeek, my caique. Zeek had swollen nares. Scout seemed to be holding up her foot. (In Zeek's defense, I believe he went to Scout's cage as a friend, but she does NOT like him). I examined her closely. THe first pic below is what I found on Scout's foot but there was little blood. I decided to watch the birds and to take them to the vet the next day if they worsened. Both birds seemed fine the next two days. Then, on a SUnday night (it is always a sunday night when these things happen!), I had Scout with me in the living room. I set her on a chair and took the trash out. I came back to blood everywhere!!! She had chewed her nail completely off!!! See second pic. I thought she was going to bleed to death. SHe would not stop chewing on it, intermittently singing and dancing as if nothing was wrong, while bleeding profusely. I tried cornstarch, but she would chew it off. I found an on call vet, but the bleeding had stopped by the time he Calle dback and he advised to wait until AM. Around midnight it started again. The vet did not return my calls this time. At this point, I put her to bed, hoping pressure from her happy hut would stop the bleeding. I didnt know if she would make it to morning. The next AM I took her into the vet immediately. They had to amputate part of her toe. She was in a cone for a couple weeks.

I might think about getting your little guy a cone to stop him from chewing on the foot. I would hate for you to go through what I did with Scout. It was awful. :(

IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6574.JPG IMG_6577.JPG IMG_6621.JPG

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:omg::faint: Scout!

My word, I sincerely hope that isn't the case with Rupert. And yes, if anything horrible's going to happen, you bet your bottom dollar it's going to be on a weekend!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor baby. Did she possibly bite his left foot as well. Not hard enough to break skin but enough to cause discomfort causing him to chew it.

Sorry to hear about Rupert's sore feet. I have heard a theory that birds don't know how to deal with pain very well and will self mutilate as way to deal with it. It's odd that it's the other foot. Perhaps he found the injured foot too painful to pick at and took his frustration out on the other foot? It's odd but I find self mutilation can express itself in odd ways at times. I hope he feels better soon :sadhug2:

I think either of these is possible. Something similar happened to Itsy before I got her. She and a Senegal did not like each other and I believe Itsy landed on the Senegal's cage and got her foot bitten. She was checked over and there weren't any wounds but she later (not sure how much later) chewed off 2 of her own toes, presumably from the pain. :eek:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:shocked2: Woah!! That's crazy and scary. Poor Itsy!! I've never heard of that before. How has she adapted? I'd imagine pretty well thou as birds usually do. :) Its good she had a soft place to land with you :heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Itsy is fine and doesn't seem to notice. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Binky my amazon would intermittently chew his feet, at first I thought it was a wound he received but I found nothing that he could have become hurt on. This went on for about a year every once in a great while. One day he started to chew both feet, I rushed him to the vet wanting every test in the book and my vet only wanted an asper titer. Binky had Aspergillus. Not to scare anyone but for educational purposes. :)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz That's so strange. I don't know much about Aspergillus but I thought it was mainly affected the lungs. I wonder why they chew their feet :shrug: Did your vet give you any reason? I dunno parrots can just be so weird sometimes :chin:How's Binky today?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, if something bothers them, they will pick at it, make it bother them more and pick more. I've had this situation a few times. I always have tramadol and celebrex on hand from Hachi. Sadly this happens with Giggie and Tuck during hormone season. So any picking that looks tender is immediately treated with tramadol, celebrex and manuka. A bit extreme if you don't know your bird but with those two I know it will only get worse so medication for a few days to make sure is my go to. Similar to Scout, Rocco got his toe bit a few years ago, it looked okay but then he chewed the nail off.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz That's so strange. I don't know much about Aspergillus but I thought it was mainly affected the lungs. I wonder why they chew their feet :shrug: Did your vet give you any reason? I dunno parrots can just be so weird sometimes :chin:How's Binky today?

Binky is asper free however he still mutilates from some unknown illness. Finding the asper was amazing, my vet just knew. I didn't believe it would be positive. He said he has seen it manyet times.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz That's so strange. I don't know much about Aspergillus but I thought it was mainly affected the lungs.

Many people think that Asper only effects their respiratory system, but that is far from the actuality. Hank had chronic Asper when I got him and it took a lot to find the Asper. The colonies were on his liver and testes and finally after some time spread to his airsacs and lungs. Sometimes it spreads to the brain and cause very quick death. Like my vet said, Asper presents in 100+ different ways. The treatment that turned Hank around and allowed the vet to cure it was a laparoscopy during which Dr. Driggers lavaged (drowned) his entire abdominal cavity with a solution of Ampho B.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope Rupert will feel better soon and will stop picking at his feet. You might need to have him collared.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
One more worry.....I've seen Secret pull at her feet/leg area and I thought she was just pulling dead skin off...