• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Even the Doctor is stumped...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Background story; Two days ago Rupert got spooked and landed on Sherbie's cage. :eeeek: Sherbie was up there in a flash to get rid of the "threat" to her domain and babies (re: fake eggs) and bit Rupert. Once I free Rupert and let him settle down for a moment, I get him flipped over to look at the damage. Sherbie almost always breaks skin with me, so I'm fearful for Rupert.

Rupert has only one small bite on the underside of his right foot. The bite is very much superficial and did not bleed (surprise!). He doesn't put much weight on the right foot unless necessary.

Next day; still favoring that same foot and the toe that was bitten is swollen. Picture below.

Today I wake the birds and notice Rupert's holding up his left foot. That's weird... And then I spy blood on the perch he sleeps on. His left foot is a chewed up mess on the bottom.

Rupert doesn't have any loose threads in the cage to get caught in. He has cork perches, platforms like the one you see here with the blood, rope perches, and smooth branches.

I watch him for a while and he starts picking at his left foot. My finger is in the way here, but each toe has skin removed and is bloodied. I was trying not to hurt his already sore foot.

So I call the vet and there's only one spot for the day left. I take it. Knowing my luck, he'd really harm himself in the next couple of days and end up getting his foot infected while I'm at work.

Vet appt; Doctor and tech are just as stumped as I am, but the only thing that makes sense is maybe after two days, his left is sore from being overused and possibly some of the perches have aggravated it further. Doctor gives him a thorough exam and we look for any wounds elsewhere on him and we can't find anything. He's acting fine other than favoring and picking at his foot. Eating is normal, drinking is normal, energy level and poops are normal. She prescribed me Baytril, Meloxicam, and a topical cream (Silver Sulfadiazine) to put on the foot.

I've been told to remove everything except soft perches for 10 days. Really hoping he'll leave his foot alone and let it heal. When I got home, I figured it would be a good idea to limit his climbing around (in cage) for the time being, and I created a false bottom in the cage and moved his dishes and toys to be more accessible.

I was glad I saved that huge cardboard box... worked like a charm for creating the false bottom (+zip ties)! Practically a perfect fit. I still have to remove the one perch on the door. I'll be making a fleece covered perch for him to sleep on. I still don't understand why in the world he would chew on his foot like that. :shakehead:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor birdie. I hope he's ok.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Strange.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Poor guy! That is so strange! My husband saw this and said "I feel for him, crazy girls will do that to ya" :dead:
Hopefully he stops! keep us posted!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hope the little guy is okay! Please do keep us updated!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh poor Rupert!:( I hope his toot heals quickly. That is just so strange!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor baby. Did she possibly bite his left foot as well. Not hard enough to break skin but enough to cause discomfort causing him to chew it.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry to hear about Rupert's sore feet. I have heard a theory that birds don't know how to deal with pain very well and will self mutilate as way to deal with it. It's odd that it's the other foot. Perhaps he found the injured foot too painful to pick at and took his frustration out on the other foot? It's odd but I find self mutilation can express itself in odd ways at times. I hope he feels better soon :sadhug2:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Poor baby. Did she possibly bite his left foot as well. Not hard enough to break skin but enough to cause discomfort causing him to chew it.
I looked, but didn't see anything.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Sorry to hear about Rupert's sore feet. I have heard a theory that birds don't know how to deal with pain very well and will self mutilate as way to deal with it. It's odd that it's the other foot. Perhaps he found the injured foot too painful to pick at and took his frustration out on the other foot? It's odd but I find self mutilation can express itself in odd ways at times. I hope he feels better soon :sadhug2:
That's what I thought as well. My border collie got bitten one time and wouldn't stop licking the wound. She kept at it for weeks and ended up having to be treated for much more than a simple nipped leg. It is odd that he went for the opposite foot, though. Keeping my fingers crossed that he leaves it alone and the pain subsides.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
:sadhug2:
Hugs for Rupert and for you.
:sadhug2:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmmm, can you rub some aloevera or A&D cream on it? I hope it heals quickly and there's no picking at it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Hmmmm, can you rub some aloevera or A&D cream on it? I hope it heals quickly and there's no picking at it.
I've got some antibiotic cream to put on it.

I had to convince him that the new sleeping perch was in fact, not a bird-eating-monster. Thank goodness for sunflower seeds!

Pearl_Tiel

Moving in
Real Name
Jordyn Turner
Hope he feels better soon. I'm having a similar problem with my cockatiel. She is constantly scratching underneith her wing(s) and always comes out of her cage with blood all over her beak. I've tried Bedadine and other creams and its healed, but when its almost fully healed she starts scratching again and I'm not sure what to do about it, I don't want her to get and infection. Anyone know how to help me, please?:sad11::tieln:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope he heals fast and understands all the changes are for his own good.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There was a product called HealX Soother plus that might help. I'm not sure if it's still being made or available though.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hope he feels better soon. I'm having a similar problem with my cockatiel. She is constantly scratching underneith her wing(s) and always comes out of her cage with blood all over her beak. I've tried Bedadine and other creams and its healed, but when its almost fully healed she starts scratching again and I'm not sure what to do about it, I don't want her to get and infection. Anyone know how to help me, please?:sad11::tieln:
Have you taken her to a vet? I'd highly recommend it if you haven't already. There could be an underlying illness or condition which is causing her to scratch so much :( Good luck with her and I hope she feels better soon