• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
My husband John is my rock and has always stayed with our cats and dogs while they have been put to sleep, talking and loving them to the end. I have sat weeping in the car, not to make a fool of myself.
They have then wrapped up their body and put them in our boot and we have brought them home to our smallholding and they are buried in their favourite spots to be with us forever. Even our old horses have been buried in the past on the land.
New Government legislation is going to prevent us from doing it with our 41yr old palamino and our 30yr old thorobred when their time comes.:(
Knowing Ann though I am going toi fight to see if it still can be done.

Please don't think you are making a fool of yourself by showing your emotions during one of the hardest times of your life. We have a "family" type relationship with our clients and when the time comes for one of them to leave this world, the clients are not the only ones in the room shedding tears. We had 7 euthanasias yesterday and I was very close to each one of those pets. Needless to say, I walked around all day with red eyes and a runny nose. One of out techs also has horses and lives on quite a bit of acreage. She lost 2 of her older horses and her 2 older dogs in the last 3 years and all of them are buried on her property. I surely hope you will still be able to do that with yours. It helps to have them near. I don't have the luxury of so much land to be able to do that, so mine are cremated and here at home on a special shelf. During hurricane season, the urns are the first thing on my evacuation list.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Bless you Cindy, yes life is tough a lot of the time, but I always sum it up by saying if we did not have the down sides how could we measure the good sides. None of us would ever have been without our dear departed pets, so we have to take the parting from them in our stride as well.
In my experience we look after our pets a darn sight better than some of our own old folk. The world is certainly a topsy turvey place to be in! :hug8:

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
What a tough job you have Cindy and it must be extremely hard. I don’t know if I could handle that but we need people like you. My vet closes the blinds so nobody can see in and he actually gives you time alone with your pet if you need it. This is really hard to talk about and it bring back memories but I had to euthanize a chinchilla Peeps. But I raised her since birth, her parents passed away so I had to raise this underweight baby and she made it, I had her 7 years and had to recently euthanize her because of malocclusion, loose teeth and infections in her gums. She could not eat. If there was any hope I would have done everything to save my baby but she would be in constant pain. My vet came in from time to time to check up on Peeps and me. He told me exactly what was going on. He came in and listened to her heart and said she was not gone yet and so I held her more. Then he came back in and she was gone. That was the HARDEST times in my life. I went threw a depression after that. Phew, that’s tough to write. But it was peaceful. My vet did not charge me for some reason. I have no clue why. But he didn’t.

Pic of the mighty Peeps!!!

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
What a tough job you have Cindy and it must be extremely hard. I don’t know if I could handle that but we need people like you. My vet closes the blinds so nobody can see in and he actually gives you time alone with your pet if you need it. This is really hard to talk about and it bring back memories but I had to euthanize a chinchilla Peeps. But I raised her since birth, her parents passed away so I had to raise this underweight baby and she made it, I had her 7 years and had to recently euthanize her because of malocclusion, loose teeth and infections in her gums. She could not eat. If there was any hope I would have done everything to save my baby but she would be in constant pain. My vet came in from time to time to check up on Peeps and me. He told me exactly what was going on. He came in and listened to her heart and said she was not gone yet and so I held her more. Then he came back in and she was gone. That was the HARDEST times in my life. I went threw a depression after that. Phew, that’s tough to write. But it was peaceful. My vet did not charge me for some reason. I have no clue why. But he didn’t.

Pic of the mighty Peeps!!!

I'm so sorry you lost her. She looks so precious! :hug8::hug8:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
My husband John is my rock and has always stayed with our cats and dogs while they have been put to sleep, talking and loving them to the end. I have sat weeping in the car, not to make a fool of myself.
Ann you are soo lucky to have your rock of a husband. :hug8:
I am sitting here tearing up just thinking of this topic.:(

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
The good side is we have our live healthy pets and that time is much longer than the sad time given to them leaving us.We are prepared to have to face it simply by having them in our lives and being happy most of the time with them. Hey it has been proved people who have pets live longer happier lives than most!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Your right Ann, it makes sharing our lives with them worth the pain.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Thanks Cindy, it was really hard. I loved her SOOOO much. It is worth the pain. I would not change a thing. The time you spend with them is precious and every moment counts. I always think when I hold them they will not last forever so I hold them a bit tighter. This is a sad topic. But we all love our animals so much on this forum we understand each other.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
The good side is we have our live healthy pets and that time is much longer than the sad time given to them leaving us.We are prepared to have to face it simply by having them in our lives and being happy most of the time with them. Hey it has been proved people who have pets live longer happier lives than most!
Your right Ann, it makes sharing our lives with them worth the pain.

this is so true

:hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I agree 100% Kristy!~:hug8:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I agree with all of you. Some of my "special needs" babies I know are not going to live a normal life span, but I treasure each and every moment I have with them. It will still be worth the pain when the time comes for them to cross over.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I agree with all of you. Some of my "special needs" babies I know are not going to live a normal life span, but I treasure each and every moment I have with them. It will still be worth the pain when the time comes for them to cross over.

Yes, I agree. Boomer is stunted from malnutrition and he will never be the normal size of a regular green check but he still needs a home. I did and do everything possible to bring up his strength and make his immune system stronger with the help of my vet. I know he may not live the normal life span but I took him in to give him a decent life. He’s my baby and nobody will EVER hurt him again, ever. I just can’t believe how some people can be so cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.