• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential oils

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I realize this is thread is a bit older, but I'm glad it's come up again as I am interested in oils and plan on signing up this weekend to be a Young Living distributor (for my own discount; not to sell.)

I am interested for my OWN use and my diffuser will be in my bedroom, away from the birds. I did want them to be safe "near" the oil though (i.e. living in the same 1,200 sq ft house with central heat and air), but I agree with not using the oils on the birds or as dietary supplements. Some people do, and that's fine for them, but I am not comfortable doing so. All that said, tea tree oil is something I will not be using around my birds because I'm just not willing to risk it.

Does anyone have an opinion on Eden's Garden or Rocky Mountain Oils? I've researched and I feel comfortable using YL and RMO, but there's hundreds of brands! I feel doTerra is also probably fine, but I'm sticking to one MLM company at a time lol.

@Karen uses oils I think.
I do use oils. I don't know anything about Eden's Garden or Rocky Mountain Oils; sorry. I only use Young Living or Dr. Melissa Shelton's AnimalEO's - Bird Recommendations

Glad you won't be using Tea Tree Oil. I only use the ones that are tried and true safe for birds as I do use them on, around and in the birds.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
I know this thread is old, but I also recently bought the Young Living starter kit, and am wondering which oils are safe to diffuse from YL? @Karen, @Fuzzy, @webchirp -- any suggestions?

In the starter kit, I have:
* Thieves Vitality
* Lemon Vitality
* Copaiba Vitality
* Digize Vitality
* Peppermint Vitality
* Panaway
* R.C.
* Frankincense
* Purification
* Lavender
* Stressaway

I would not be diffusing in the same room that Brodie is in, but our apartment is small, so if I did diffuse here, the scent would make its way into the entire apartment.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
@BirdCatLady

I have a 1100-1200 sq foot home. Here is what I have been following for the last 5 months using YL. #1 most important rule is start slow and watch for any adverse reactions (lethargy, loopiness, breathing hard, open mouth, etc.)

-No tea tree (Melaleuca A)! Ever! Not on them, not on you if you're going to handle them, and not in your diffuser. Better safe than sorry because it's highly toxic.

-Some people say to avoid wood oils (cedarwood, spruce, pine, etc.) and citronella. This is kind of debatable amongst different people.

I have used Purification around them which contains Citronella and I have used another blend that contained a wood oil and they were fine.

I diffuse whatever I want in my bedroom, which is approx 20' + away from them, but I have a diffuser in the living room where their cages are (approx 10' from cages) and I stick to "safer" things in that one. Usually lavender because that's nice and mellow and helps with Sam's screaming. :) I never diffuse for very long in that room, 30-60 mins tops, and I never leave the diffuser on if I'm leaving the room/house or if they're locked in their cages. I also don't use as much oil in that diffuser as I do the one in my bedroom.

FYI - the Thieves Household Cleaner is the bomb! I accidentally sprayed Sam in the face with it & Gilly has licked it (it's like they TRY to do this stuff when I'm busy cleaning their cages!!) and they had no adverse reaction. I, of course, don't purposefully do that or allow it, but those two instances basically concreted the products safety in our household. We love YL!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Essential oils are tools... So my question would be, what are you trying to accomplish with them? I have used them for arthritis in Gizmo, for example, but they shouldn't be diffused (IMO) just for smelling.

The whole idea that MLM (YL, DT) companies are the only ones safe is a bunch of malarkey. I use Plant Therapy.

Be mindful that many oils can also be dangerous to cats (because of the way their livers process things) and a host of oils can't be used with children, also.

I like Learning About EOs - Using Essential Oils Safely | One Drop at a Time – Using Essential Oils Safely and Robert Tisserand for research.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
I was intending on utilizing them for anxiolytic aromatherapy. So more with lavender and Stressaway than anything else. I've noticed that the Stressaway has helped a lot in terms of me relaxing and not being so tense... plus it smells nice. I wouldn't ever use them in a "crazy" way or anything (diffusing too much oil too quickly etc) since I know they're more potent and "serious" (only word I can think of) than things labeled as "air fresheners" (which I don't use). I'm still in the really early stages of it though so I'm not planning on diffusing any time soon... would plan more on using them on me during the day than at home. I've used lavender at nights and Stressaway during the days, and granted I'm not diffusing, but Brodie hasn't seemed to dislike them (and he has acted the same way the entire time, so no health problems at least from smelling the oils on me). That being said, I tend to use them either early in the morning at work, or in the evening close to his bedtime so he doesn't smell them that strongly.

It's been handy reading what other folks have done for just air fresheners though. And I know this was mentioned in one of the threads I read (I searched for/read through a lot of essential oil threads before I commented on this one) but I have had a lot of success with the clove-filled orange in the past. It really smells amazing. :)

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
I use Young Living on my parrots, either rubbing on their feet or diffuse or mix in the water. Whenever my macaw has an traumatic experience, I will rub Valor on her feet. It worked!! Much to my delight! Once she was shivering after back from the vet, I put two drops in my hand then rubbed on her feet. She was backed to herself in about a minute.

Not advertising here... just too impressed! lol

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I wanted to order some because I heard they work with stress (I have horrible anxiety) and sickness in children (my daughters immune system is not the greatest) and my sister uses them and her house smells amazing. So I was curious about the level of safety, what brands were safest and what smells were okay to use. I would have one diffuser in my living room which is about 10 feet away from tuki and then one in my bedroom, which is about 15 feet away from him. Also how much do I put in there and how long do I burn it for?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I wanted to order some because I heard they work with stress (I have horrible anxiety) and sickness in children (my daughters immune system is not the greatest) and my sister uses them and her house smells amazing. So I was curious about the level of safety, what brands were safest and what smells were okay to use. I would have one diffuser in my living room which is about 10 feet away from tuki and then one in my bedroom, which is about 15 feet away from him. Also how much do I put in there and how long do I burn it for?
@alshgs i know this question is old so hopefully you got your answer. I am taking courses in aromatherapy to get certified, hopefully by next year. Mostly to learn about pet use.

The main thing is to use quality oils and always, always dilute.

I am using Doterra and have studied their processes and also compared the products with other brands. Still very happy with them. One negative for me is they say you can use straight oil on human skin. I do not think you can make a blanket statement like that. I advise that all oils be diluted with a carrier oil. JMO

The diffuser should have come with instructions for diluting; I can say mine holds about 1 cup of water and I add 5 drops of oil to it. Try some of the ones @haleybethg mentioned. You can message me for anxiety & other specific blends

deniseamk

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Denise
I also use doTerra oils. I have done ALOT of reserch as to which esssenial oils are highest quaility. doTerra was my choice. I find that when one choices a brand, and then hears of another, they stick up for their first choice. Not really knowing if there is a better product. I rearched, and SAMPLED a few, doTerra was my choice . deniseamk

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
We use a diffuser with various essential oils from doTerra and and another brand and nothing has ever happened. I've seen no negative effects with it. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never tried frankincense for migraines. I've tried lavender oil and that sometimes made the migraines worse.

andi8410

@BirdCatLady

I have a 1100-1200 sq foot home. Here is what I have been following for the last 5 months using YL. #1 most important rule is start slow and watch for any adverse reactions (lethargy, loopiness, breathing hard, open mouth, etc.)

-No tea tree (Melaleuca A)! Ever! Not on them, not on you if you're going to handle them, and not in your diffuser. Better safe than sorry because it's highly toxic.

-Some people say to avoid wood oils (cedarwood, spruce, pine, etc.) and citronella. This is kind of debatable amongst different people.

I have used Purification around them which contains Citronella and I have used another blend that contained a wood oil and they were fine.

I diffuse whatever I want in my bedroom, which is approx 20' + away from them, but I have a diffuser in the living room where their cages are (approx 10' from cages) and I stick to "safer" things in that one. Usually lavender because that's nice and mellow and helps with Sam's screaming. :) I never diffuse for very long in that room, 30-60 mins tops, and I never leave the diffuser on if I'm leaving the room/house or if they're locked in their cages. I also don't use as much oil in that diffuser as I do the one in my bedroom.

FYI - the Thieves Household Cleaner is the bomb! I accidentally sprayed Sam in the face with it & Gilly has licked it (it's like they TRY to do this stuff when I'm busy cleaning their cages!!) and they had no adverse reaction. I, of course, don't purposefully do that or allow it, but those two instances basically concreted the products safety in our household. We love YL!

According to YL, Purification contains Tea Tree oil which you recommend NEVER using near birds. I'm a YL wholesaler and concerned with using tea tree oil and confused by your comment. Can you provide clarification? Thanks.

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I also use essential oils around my birds. I use edens garden brand oils, since they are 100% natural and my birds seem to enjoy them. I use orange, Elvis really seems to enjoy that one.

V0bies

Real Name
Victoria
I know this is an old post but it shows up on google so I know there are others that see it when they are googling with the same questions. I use essential oils around my GCC for the last year and a half with no problems. My favorite is lavender and orange peel. I only use certified USDA organic, natural really doesn't mean a thing because they can still add many chemicals or process it with chemicals. USDA organic has a lot of restrictions, like the product cannot be grown with chemical pesticides and fertilizers. The orange essential oil I've used for over a year is cold pressed from 100% organic orange peels with no chemicals. It's best when you get a certified organic that it says 100% because I believe only 95% of the product needs to be organic and then the remaining 5% can only be foods or additives from an approved list. I use a brand called 'now' and it is certified and advertised as 100% pure and organic. I don't know about tea tree even if it is organic, because I know some people use certain essential oils to get rid of rodents and bugs, not everything that is safe for humans is safe for a tiny animal. I also have two HEPA air filters in my apartment that are always running. I really like the orange because it's supposed to be antibacterial and helps with any pet smells. And I've read that many people give their birds orange zest as well as long as it's organic and that their birds like it a lot. I just avoid ones like eucalyptus, tea tree, mint, etc because I'm not sure and not willing to try with so many people saying it's not good. I have no idea if it's because of fillers or just the oil itself. I don't like those smells anyway :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It;s not the fillers, its just because those smells are pretty pungent and medicinal in nature. Many of them aren't safe for children under 6 so I wouldn't use them with a bird!

JodiAnn

Real Name
Jodi Reinholt
I have not found a lot of agreement about what essential oils are safe to use around birds, but the ONE oil every source I've consulted agrees on is tea tree/melaleuca and that it IS TOXIC for birds. (Here is one source: Non-toxic for birds list and a list of things that are toxic for birds. A couple notes about EOs for anyone who is interested. One, tea tree and melaleuca are the same oil. Melaleuca is the botanical name, and if you're going to use essential oils, you should learn the botanical names of all the oils you use so you can ensure you are buying the right stuff. Second, a good essential oil company will tell you where each of their oils is sourced and the extraction method used, and they will provide batch testing reports for all of their oils (GC/MS report). My favorites are Edens Garden and Aromatics International, but they are certainly not the only good EO sellers out there. Third, there is really no such thing as therapeutic grade oils because there is no governing body that sets standards for therapeutic grade oils. It is a marketing phrase . Any unadulterated EO is therapeutic by nature. Last, if you don't want to feel like you are fumbling in the dark, get a good, unbiased EO reference book. I have a question in to an online avian vet about a good resource for safe EOs and I will post what they tell me.

Christikenley

As an aromatherapist who owns an essential oil business I am tali disturbed by the amount of birds being exposed to oils purposely. Especially the mlm oils which anybody with outside aromatherapy education knows are mediocre. Anyway, I have a retail store with lots of good smelly stuff-soaps lotions candles and essential oils. We are careful about using phthalate free fragrances but I am still hesitant to take a bird to work with me. I wouldn't do it during production days or oil bottling days, but on other days I would like to be able to. There just isn't much info or research available to know if just spending time on that environment would be safe. My shop in is a tourist town in the mountains on a lake so it would be fun for my customers as well as mentally engaging for a bird. Thoughts?

Christikenley

As for tea tree-even the purest tea tree is toxic. Period. However there are other options that are safer for dogs (no eos for cats, ever) that have the same benefits as tea tree. Rosalina and kunzea are better options.