1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential oils

Discussion in 'Holistic Avenue' started by FLmom, 4/16/15.

1. Karen

Karen Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

I do use oils. I don't know anything about Eden's Garden or Rocky Mountain Oils; sorry. I only use Young Living or Dr. Melissa Shelton's AnimalEO's - Bird Recommendations

Glad you won't be using Tea Tree Oil. I only use the ones that are tried and true safe for birds as I do use them on, around and in the birds.

2. BirdCatLady

BirdCatLady Jogging around the block

April
    I know this thread is old, but I also recently bought the Young Living starter kit, and am wondering which oils are safe to diffuse from YL? @Karen, @Fuzzy, @webchirp -- any suggestions?

In the starter kit, I have:
    * Thieves Vitality
    * Lemon Vitality
    * Copaiba Vitality
    * Digize Vitality
    * Peppermint Vitality
    * Panaway
    * R.C.
    * Frankincense
    * Purification
    * Lavender
    * Stressaway

I would not be diffusing in the same room that Brodie is in, but our apartment is small, so if I did diffuse here, the scent would make its way into the entire apartment.

Animallover03 likes this.
  3. haleybethg

haleybethg Walking the driveway

Haley
    @BirdCatLady

I have a 1100-1200 sq foot home. Here is what I have been following for the last 5 months using YL. #1 most important rule is start slow and watch for any adverse reactions (lethargy, loopiness, breathing hard, open mouth, etc.)

-No tea tree (Melaleuca A)! Ever! Not on them, not on you if you're going to handle them, and not in your diffuser. Better safe than sorry because it's highly toxic.

-Some people say to avoid wood oils (cedarwood, spruce, pine, etc.) and citronella. This is kind of debatable amongst different people.

I have used Purification around them which contains Citronella and I have used another blend that contained a wood oil and they were fine.

I diffuse whatever I want in my bedroom, which is approx 20' + away from them, but I have a diffuser in the living room where their cages are (approx 10' from cages) and I stick to "safer" things in that one. Usually lavender because that's nice and mellow and helps with Sam's screaming. :) I never diffuse for very long in that room, 30-60 mins tops, and I never leave the diffuser on if I'm leaving the room/house or if they're locked in their cages. I also don't use as much oil in that diffuser as I do the one in my bedroom.

FYI - the Thieves Household Cleaner is the bomb! I accidentally sprayed Sam in the face with it & Gilly has licked it (it's like they TRY to do this stuff when I'm busy cleaning their cages!!) and they had no adverse reaction. I, of course, don't purposefully do that or allow it, but those two instances basically concreted the products safety in our household. We love YL!

BirdCatLady likes this.
  4. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Shawna
    Essential oils are tools... So my question would be, what are you trying to accomplish with them? I have used them for arthritis in Gizmo, for example, but they shouldn't be diffused (IMO) just for smelling.

The whole idea that MLM (YL, DT) companies are the only ones safe is a bunch of malarkey. I use Plant Therapy.

Be mindful that many oils can also be dangerous to cats (because of the way their livers process things) and a host of oils can't be used with children, also.

I like Learning About EOs - Using Essential Oils Safely | One Drop at a Time – Using Essential Oils Safely and Robert Tisserand for research.

BirdCatLady likes this.
  5. BirdCatLady

BirdCatLady Jogging around the block

April
    I was intending on utilizing them for anxiolytic aromatherapy. So more with lavender and Stressaway than anything else. I've noticed that the Stressaway has helped a lot in terms of me relaxing and not being so tense... plus it smells nice. I wouldn't ever use them in a "crazy" way or anything (diffusing too much oil too quickly etc) since I know they're more potent and "serious" (only word I can think of) than things labeled as "air fresheners" (which I don't use). I'm still in the really early stages of it though so I'm not planning on diffusing any time soon... would plan more on using them on me during the day than at home. I've used lavender at nights and Stressaway during the days, and granted I'm not diffusing, but Brodie hasn't seemed to dislike them (and he has acted the same way the entire time, so no health problems at least from smelling the oils on me). That being said, I tend to use them either early in the morning at work, or in the evening close to his bedtime so he doesn't smell them that strongly.

It's been handy reading what other folks have done for just air fresheners though. And I know this was mentioned in one of the threads I read (I searched for/read through a lot of essential oil threads before I commented on this one) but I have had a lot of success with the clove-filled orange in the past. It really smells amazing. :)

Heather F likes this.
  6. BigMacWonder

BigMacWonder Sprinting down the street

Anne
    I use Young Living on my parrots, either rubbing on their feet or diffuse or mix in the water. Whenever my macaw has an traumatic experience, I will rub Valor on her feet. It worked!! Much to my delight! Once she was shivering after back from the vet, I put two drops in my hand then rubbed on her feet. She was backed to herself in about a minute.

Not advertising here... just too impressed! lol

7. alshgs

alshgs Rollerblading along the road

I wanted to order some because I heard they work with stress (I have horrible anxiety) and sickness in children (my daughters immune system is not the greatest) and my sister uses them and her house smells amazing. So I was curious about the level of safety, what brands were safest and what smells were okay to use. I would have one diffuser in my living room which is about 10 feet away from tuki and then one in my bedroom, which is about 15 feet away from him. Also how much do I put in there and how long do I burn it for?

8. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road

Tanya
    @alshgs i know this question is old so hopefully you got your answer. I am taking courses in aromatherapy to get certified, hopefully by next year. Mostly to learn about pet use.

The main thing is to use quality oils and always, always dilute.

I am using Doterra and have studied their processes and also compared the products with other brands. Still very happy with them. One negative for me is they say you can use straight oil on human skin. I do not think you can make a blanket statement like that. I advise that all oils be diluted with a carrier oil. JMO

The diffuser should have come with instructions for diluting; I can say mine holds about 1 cup of water and I add 5 drops of oil to it. Try some of the ones @haleybethg mentioned. You can message me for anxiety & other specific blends

deniseamk and alshgs like this.
  9. deniseamk

deniseamk Checking out the neighborhood

Denise
    I also use doTerra oils. I have done ALOT of reserch as to which esssenial oils are highest quaility. doTerra was my choice. I find that when one choices a brand, and then hears of another, they stick up for their first choice. Not really knowing if there is a better product. I rearched, and SAMPLED a few, doTerra was my choice . deniseamk

finchly likes this.
  10. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

11. BeeBop

BeeBop Sprinting down the street

We use a diffuser with various essential oils from doTerra and and another brand and nothing has ever happened. I've seen no negative effects with it. :)

12. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road

Tanya
    I use that too. Different uses for pets... And for me.
    Rescue remedy really helped me with headaches... When they're migraines I use Frankincense oil.

13. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

I never tried frankincense for migraines. I've tried lavender oil and that sometimes made the migraines worse.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)