• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential oils made for birds?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My mom found this website and I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on it. I'm very cautious using anything on or around my birds but this does seem interesting.

Bird Recommendations

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally do not trust that woman.

For years she was using Young Living Essential Oils, claiming they were the only one safe for birds. When I asked why, I was never provided an answer that was actually scientifically sound. I also have a huge issue with Young Living in general, namely claims that have been disproven, illegal importing activity, and dangerous advice like using oils undiluted even on babies because they are "so safe" (even though EOs are volatile and if they are TRULY what they claim, that is incorrect advice).

Anyways, she then decided to come out with her own brand and suddenly said that YL oils were no longer safe, deleted all references to the oils, and moving forward said only HER oils were safe.

That being said, I DO think she has some nice sounding blends that aren't found elsewhere, but I am leery about using them because of my prior experiences.

I have to be careful with EOs as cats are super sensitive to them because of how their liver metabolizes them, and rats have very sensitive respiratory systems as well. Additionally, I have a 3 year old son and some EOs should not be used around them. So I am quite cautious and only use very few in my home these days.

I use Plant Therapy oils. They partner with Robert Tisserand who is one of the leading experts on essential oils and is highly respected in the community. They developed a line with him specifically for children which I appreciate a lot. And they always are about safety, which makes me feel more comfortable as well.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I personally do not trust that woman.

For years she was using Young Living Essential Oils, claiming they were the only one safe for birds. When I asked why, I was never provided an answer that was actually scientifically sound. I also have a huge issue with Young Living in general, namely claims that have been disproven, illegal importing activity, and dangerous advice like using oils undiluted even on babies because they are "so safe" (even though EOs are volatile and if they are TRULY what they claim, that is incorrect advice).

Anyways, she then decided to come out with her own brand and suddenly said that YL oils were no longer safe, deleted all references to the oils, and moving forward said only HER oils were safe.

That being said, I DO think she has some nice sounding blends that aren't found elsewhere, but I am leery about using them because of my prior experiences.

I have to be careful with EOs as cats are super sensitive to them because of how their liver metabolizes them, and rats have very sensitive respiratory systems as well. Additionally, I have a 3 year old son and some EOs should not be used around them. So I am quite cautious and only use very few in my home these days.

I use Plant Therapy oils. They partner with Robert Tisserand who is one of the leading experts on essential oils and is highly respected in the community. They developed a line with him specifically for children which I appreciate a lot. And they always are about safety, which makes me feel more comfortable as well.

Wow I didn't know that whole backstory lol thanks for all the info

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sorry, that was probably more info than you wanted or needed :lol:

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I’m with @Mizzely on this one. There are EOs that are safe but that’s not where I’d get them.
Do you have suggestions of safe oils and/ or where you'd get them? My birds don't need any at the moment but I think it's interesting and maybe something to keep in mind. The other thing is that I have stomach issues so once in a while I like to diffuse lavender and mint. I only diffuse in my room and my door is always shut. I only use it when I'm feeling really miserable. It would be nice to find a company or an oil that I don't have to worry so much about my birds having some exposure to.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@finchly I believe was using doTerra but last I knew was trying Plant Therapy?

I have diffused for my birds. I've also rubbed diluted essential oils on the feet of my late Hahns for arthritis relief.

I do not use Peppermint because it potentially can cause respiratory issues with children under 6, so for my son alone I don't want to risk it. I also worry that if it can affect a child, that the rats and birds could be affected. Spearmint has similar properties and so I use that topically when necessary vs diffused, as both Peppermint and Spearmint are also on the no no list for cats.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
@finchly I believe was using doTerra but last I knew was trying Plant Therapy?

I have diffused for my birds. I've also rubbed diluted essential oils on the feet of my late Hahns for arthritis relief.

I do not use Peppermint because it potentially can cause respiratory issues with children under 6, so for my son alone I don't want to risk it. I also worry that if it can affect a child, that the rats and birds could be affected. Spearmint has similar properties and so I use that topically when necessary vs diffused, as both Peppermint and Spearmint are also on the no no list for cats.
Yeah it's just me and my birds here, no cats or kids to worry about. What do you typically diffuse?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use natural things for fragrances.

My favorite is homemade bread baking in the oven.

Now I'm going back to the thread about exercise.......

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah it's just me and my birds here, no cats or kids to worry about. What do you typically diffuse?

I use to diffuse a lot more than I do now. Too many conflicts with species lol. Around the birds I did copaiba and lavender. I also diffuse kidsafe thieves style blend after an illness to help clear it out. In my bedroom I like the kidsafe sleepy blends.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I use natural things for fragrances.

My favorite is homemade bread baking in the oven.

Now I'm going back to the thread about exercise.......
:rofl:

@Parakeet88 the ones Mizzely mentioned are bird safe. Frankincense is safe. Tea tree oil has been used in short bursts around birds that have been with smokers and it supposedly helped clear their lungs, I’d like to try that on Ernie.

I will try to make a better list and post it. There are some good books about oils/birds on amazon.

Oh - and yes I switched from Doterra/ I use Plant Therapy brand now.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
NO, my opinion, I volunteer at my cousin's clinic and work in the bird area. there is one beautiful lovebird with severe breathing problem from it's owner using eucalyptus oil in vaporizer

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
NO, my opinion, I volunteer at my cousin's clinic and work in the bird area. there is one beautiful lovebird with severe breathing problem from it's owner using eucalyptus oil in vaporizer

I would not use eucalyptus around birds either; it does have an effect on breathing and is supposed to be unsafe for children under 10

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I heard that the owner was using for kid with croup

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I heard that the owner was using for kid with croup
There are 700 different species of eucalyptus. To confuse matters worse, several have the word “blue” in the common name. (This is why I decided to take classes in EOs. However it is still complicated/ confusing, esp since some companies will mix 4 different eucalyptus types and call it.... eucalyptus.)

Anyway kids under 10 shouldn’t inhale certain ones because of the component cineole. I think the cut off number is over 40% cineole is too strong for kids, therefore, definitely too strong for parrots. But all these proponents of EOs don’t tell you that - they just go on about the EOs as wonder drugs.

Sorry I am getting on a rant. This reallly bothers me, the misinformation that can lead to harming kids and/or pets. The YL proponents are the worst IMO, and that “Dr. Axe” never puts cautionary statements on his articles, either.

I will make that list as promised. I’ve been pretty sick this week.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I agree it's very confusing and that's why I've been using the "better safe than sorry" motto

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Absolutely @Parakeet88 . My goodness. You know that if you can kill your birds by burning a candle, you could definitely do so with EOs. Theyre much stronger.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah I read everything I could for at least a year before using any in my home. Very hard sometimes because of so much information or just plain lack of data.