• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential Oils and Parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
https://www.facebook.com/groups/361...if_t=group_activity#!/groups/361009647301035/
OK If this is NOT acceptable please remove BUT I would like to start discussions about essential oils and WHY some are good for parrots/animals and others can pose a health issue....and I'm giving you a site that has started on FB with a holistic vet, Dr Melissa Shelton (www.OilyVet.com) and her technician Angela Nelson....having to do with Youngs Essential Oils and they are doing great results with birds/animals....and have LOADS of information...so it is not just someone in general doing this.... they are documenting EVERYTHING they do.....
We have always been told/heard/stories about essential oils being BAD for our birds/animals...and to a POINT, I believe this...it has to do with the QUALITY of the oils used...not all oils are keep to strick standards and can pose health risk...."Essential oils contain hundreds of compounds so complex that not ONE single oil has been completely analyzed for all of it s ingredients scientifically!!! There are constituents in essential oils that have not yet been identified by science. AFNOR (Association Francaise de Normalization) only has minimum requirements to call an oil "that oil" (ie. Lavender oil), so adulteration, cutting and synthetic additives to make essential oils more affordable (profitable) are rampant in the general market. IMPORTANT!!!! This is why we recommend using ONLY Young Living Essential Oils with our birds (or anyone else). It's the synthetics, chemicals and adulteration that are put into other oils that are harmful and even fatal. With YLEO, we know that each and every oil that we use comes from a plant grown in virgin ground (no chemicals or pesticides EVER in the history of the land), distilled properly so as not to use too much heat or pressure and change the chemical structure of the oils, leaving it as Mother Nature made it." taken from one of Angela posts that you can read on the site....
We are always looking for GOOD information/people to back up what they say and reasons for using things....I think this site will be an eye opener for all of us....and usefull information for our birds/us....:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Both! That is what is so interesting about YLO....using the oils on the birds is helping birds heal/emotionally/physically AND they are used with humans also.....
and it is not just birds but dogs/cats/horses/other animals....
But since we talk about birds here...that is my main area...to let people start understanding that Dr. Shelton has been doing this for a long time and is getting more information out there now and making sure people understand what/why/ how to use these oils PROPERLY...and YES I understand there is going to be a LOT of ?ing about this....

ArthursMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie Black
Both! That is what is so interesting about YLO....using the oils on the birds is helping birds heal/emotionally/physically AND they are used with humans also.....
and it is not just birds but dogs/cats/horses/other animals....
But since we talk about birds here...that is my main area...to let people start understanding that Dr. Shelton has been doing this for a long time and is getting more information out there now and making sure people understand what/why/ how to use these oils PROPERLY...and YES I understand there is going to be a LOT of ?ing about this....
I see a lot of resistance to the idea, I personally would need to see an awful lot of data proving that it is safe in a long LONG term study. I think even then you would have people using them incorrectly, despite giving them the proper info, you have no idea what I have seen at the vet clinic in terms of improper usage of items. I would be very interested in finding out more though. Has she been to any of the vet confrences in the expo parts?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Go to her web site and check her out...

SpoiledFids

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I work with essential oils nearly every day (I am a flavor chemist). I've had the opportunity to analyze many essential oils with gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy and, yes, there can be hundreds of chemicals in a single oil! You are correct that, in many cases, not all of the components have been identified. But, most of them have, and this fact alone doesn't really make the oils unsafe.

Are all of the Young Living essential oils therapeutic grade? I don't think there are any regulations regarding the purity of "therapeutic grade" oils... Food grade oils must meet certain standards to be qualified as such, so I would definitely stay away from anything that isn't certified as food grade. Adulteration is also a problem with some oils, depending on the supplier. In most cases, adulteration involves adding an additional quantity of a chemical that is already in the oil. This can be difficult to detect. But, I am surprised at the claim above that it can be fatal? I wonder where that is coming from.
The only way to be sure that an oil is free from pesticides, though, is to buy certified organic oils.
I would also worry about the dosage. Essential oils are so concentrated, that it would be easy to overdose. Some oils contain compounds that I would not want my bird ingesting too much of!

I am going to check out her site a bit more, but I didn't see specifically which oils she supports using, or for what purpose? It is interesting, though.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I am a big fan of Young Living Essential Oils (and only Young Living brand!) after learning about them through Dr. Shelton. I use them with and around my birds and have seen really fantastic, positive results!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for the info :)

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Personally, I'm not a fan of Young Living Essential oils and Dr.Shelton. I find it a bit irritating that not very much documented evidence is posted on their site. You have to pay for everything. Although, it's possible I'm not looking at the right sites. Someone like me is not going to pay $100 for a diffuser and $40 for a bottle of oil with not much evidence. While I do believe essential oils can be beneficial, I just haven't seen very much proof in birds to justify the cost. Testimonials are great, but I would much rather see proof with studies before spending money on it. LOL...maybe I'm just too cheap!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What honestly makes Young Living Essential Oils better?

I am looking into Essential Oils for myself, and find myself confused by what is available. I of course want to be sure what I am getting is bird safe; it doesn't do me much good to invest in them if I can't use them in the house! My main purposes would be for homemade lotions, etc, but I am also interested in aromatherapy.

So if I have found a brand that claims:

"They are steam distilled/ cold pressed directly from flowers, leaves, bark and wood without any adulteration or synthetic additives, as it was intended, directly from nature.

All of our products are 100% pure. We do not add bases, fillers, additives, etc to any of our oils! Each are in their purest form possible.

We make every effort to maintain the high quality and purity of our oils. We unconditionally guarantee all of our essential oils. As far as possible, we source our products from organic growers and distillers. Certificate of analysis, specifications and MSDS are available on request. "
What reasons would this not be a good, safe purchase?

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I don't do Facebook (yes, I'm odd) so would someone who has been to this Facebook page please tell me if they are indeed putting oils "on" birds. If so, where?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've seen mostly talk about diffusing, but some put it on their feet (in a carrier oil, of course)

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I've seen mostly talk about diffusing, but some put it on their feet (in a carrier oil, of course)
Shawna - there is a FB Group called Aromatherapy for Parrots. It is owned by Dr. Shelton assistant, Angela Nelson. Everyone there is extremely helpful. You may want to join there and ask some questions. :)

ETA: Guess I should have read the OP where is says exactly what I just said :rolleyes:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Shawna - there is a FB Group called Aromatherapy for Parrots. It is owned by Dr. Shelton assistant, Angela Nelson. Everyone there is extremely helpful. You may want to join there and ask some questions. :)

ETA: Guess I should have read the OP where is says exactly what I just said :rolleyes:
LOL thanks, I will ask there :)

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Young Living Essential Oils are sold by my dear neighbor right across the street from me. I have used hers and also bought some on ebay and at the local health food stores. I have done some research and I use only the Peppermint oil as a mouse deterrent now. I believe that most oils in the strength that most people use them can be irritating and maybe deadly for our birds. The price of the Young Living brand tends to be too much for my finances so I have gone to the health food store brands. I can get the very same quality at one third or less the price!
I just love the Peppermint!

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Why? I think this sounds a bit odd. Is this supposed behavior modification via aromatherapy?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Why? I think this sounds a bit odd. Is this supposed behavior modification via aromatherapy?
I haven't really looked at it for birds as I am more interested in it for myself, but here is one thing I saw in the group:

Now the fun stuff...what have we been doing with the oils in the birds? The answer is...EVERYTHING! If you have been around birds for any length of time, you will know that avian medicine is a very frustrating field. We've all heard of birds that are dying but every test run is coming back "normal". Here is where the EO's play such a huge role. In an ill bird, we will diffuse an oil such as Thieves which has antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial, antifungal, antitumoral, immune boosting properties and so much more. The oils are used by the body as needed and then leave. No harmful antibiotics, no guessing, just using 100% made by nature. So far in our infancy of working with essential oils and birds, we have helped clear pappilomas in a greenwing, chronic diarrhea in a harlequin macaw, severe iron deficiency, crop infections, not to mention scores of respiratory infections, bacterial infections adn more. I was able to save the life of a little budgie who was hanging by her beak on the side of a cage trying to breathe...we didn't think she'd even make it to the vet she was struggling so. So I grabbed Frankincense and Valor and rubbed it on her feet. Within about one minute, she took a deep breath and started breathing normally!! Right there in my hand!! (Please note: NONE of my recommendations are to be substituted for care from an vet. Please find a holistic vet of your choice and work with him or her together with the essential oils!) We also love it in the rescues to help with depression, anxiety, hopelessness, hyperactivity and so much more.

Not to mention being able to use wonderfully scented things in the house again that eliminates odors and is not only not harmful to my babies, but is actually BENEFICIAL! I had someone just comment the other day on how wonderful my house smelled "like a spa". Try doing that in a tiny house with 17 birds! I was flattered beyond belief! And we also now have ways to clean and disinfect our cages and homes in general without causing harm. I can use the Thieves cleaner which is antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti microbial in the cages with my birds STILL IN THE CAGE! It is that safe! You could drink an entire bottle with no harm (although it would probably taste terrible).

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Personally, I'm not a fan of Young Living Essential oils and Dr.Shelton. I find it a bit irritating that not very much documented evidence is posted on their site. You have to pay for everything. Although, it's possible I'm not looking at the right sites. Someone like me is not going to pay $100 for a diffuser and $40 for a bottle of oil with not much evidence. While I do believe essential oils can be beneficial, I just haven't seen very much proof in birds to justify the cost. Testimonials are great, but I would much rather see proof with studies before spending money on it. LOL...maybe I'm just too cheap!
Well, I'm with you on this. I needed to save money. I have used the Young Living oils and went to Garden Essence made in Payson, Utah USA and sold at many local Health Food Stores and on Ebay also. 15ml was $8.00. That amount lasts a long time and chases away the mice! I use two drops in a cup of tea and breathe the hot steam to open sinuses. I use about 12 drops on a cotton ball that I put down into our floor vent overnight to chase away mice. I leave the heater off when I do this and close the one in the birdroom. You have to be very careful using oils.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
As much as 98% of Essential Oils sold are not therapeutic grade. Young Living Essential Oils are one of the very few that are therapeutic grade. The 98% of oils that are not therapeutic grade are certainly harmful for our birds - I would never consider having them in my home. I have recently stopped nebulising Ollie with F10 for his Aspergillosis in favour of water diffusing Young Living Thieves and other oils to help him.

I have personally experienced and watched others experience some incredible things with Young Living EO. With water diffusing you have absolute control on how much oil is diffused... you could put just a toothpick dipped in oil into the water if you like. I have done Dr Shelton's course and was pretty amazed by it. It is free to anyone who decides to be a Young Living distributor... and believe me it is worth it! Here's a pic of Kobe enjoying the oils out of the diffuser...

Young Living Oils can certainly be ingested because they are therapeutic grade. :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.