• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential Oil Safety

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh well excuuuuuse me.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What about other "fragrance" from cooking food (in non stick of course)? As I type, my husband is making his chili for our chili cook I off tomorrow. And my eyes are burning a little just from food. I cracked a window. Meanwhile, my bird is suppose to be sleeping under his cover, but since the lights are on, he is going through all of his beeps, sirens, sounds, voices and is happy as can be. Im still learning about all this but smell or fragrance seems the same to me (pure natural smells that is). EO vs bacon/ground beef grease oil, shoot idk, seems the same :shrug:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm going to add again... that when I diffuse, my bird is on a different level "just in case" but when we cook (in stainless and safe bird cook ware), he is on the same level.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ok... and I do know not to use melaleuca

WofDiscovery

Checking out the neighborhood
I know I am entering this thread very late in the game too, but I just recently started getting into doTerra essential oils, so I wanted to check different sources for what people said with them around birds. While most of my birds are actually wildlife that are in enclosures outside, I do have a pet Catalina Macaw in our family room and an American kestrel that lives in my bedroom with me. In reading these posts I feel the need to share a little information about birds that I know from a vet lecture I attended at a falconry meet years ago. The bird respiratory system is much more complicated than a human's. While we take a inhale and then exhale, they actually breathe twice as much as we do. They have two chambers (the majority of them...there are some exceptions like the swans that are even more complicated and different, but I'll stick with what is like our pet birds)...so they inhale, but then half of that air goes into a separate chamber while they exhale the other half and bring in more. So, birds constantly have some form of inhalation going on, which is why their respiratory system is so much more delicate than our's...and even than a dog or cat. All of my birds that are outside come in if there is a fire that has caused a lot of smoke to be in the air. The air can be only a light smoke for us and the fire can be miles and miles away, but a bird can still die of smoke inhalation if the smoke is too thick for their system. I went through the exotic animal program at Moorpark College back when there was a fire there and the first things that get evacuated are the birds and reptiles. So, to reiterate what someone else said previously..."just because it's safe for humans (or dogs or cats even), don't think it's safe for birds." And, I will add to that, the fact that it is diffused in the air, doesn't necessarily mean that it is better for them. In my opinion, the diffuser makes it much worse, because that travels to their most delicate system. My friend is the doTerra rep that I bought through and I traded her out the diffuser in my enrollment kit because I knew that would be pointless for me when I have birds in the house. She actually also mentioned that she has heard the citrus oils are bad for birds, so I make sure I don't put those on an area of my body that birds can get near so they won't be inhaling it or getting it rubbed on them. Hope this information has helped someone! :)