• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ernie bit my face...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m sure he’d tell you it was unprovoked.

The youngest bird stuck his beak in Ernie’s face, and he turned and bit me! Ouch!

Any measures I should take when this happens?

It’s the little hole up near my eye.... doesn’t look too bad (but hurts like the dickens) and down from there, the whole area is red and hurts.

45CEE5C5-528F-4D27-B6D0-5C9400527FB7.jpeg

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Try to avoid any known triggers as they tend to react badly when they see one. Lurch hated goodies, certain hats, new different hair cuts, not sharing treats fast enough, etc. Maybe no shoulder time till your sure he's trustworthy. Lurch lost shoulder privileges after biting our necks because something he wanted didn't happen. Once I started to realize what he was trying to ask for he stopped acting out and also learned biting wasn't getting the desired result. I found out one thing he wanted was to come into the bathroom with me, But he also wanted to drink and play in the water running from the faucet, once I let him run down my arm and drink and play he patiently waited his turn and stopped biting in there.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
On no a birdie boo boo on that pretty face. Hope it's healed by tomorrow. I would just use soap and water for now.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am sorry you got bit.
Glad that he didn’t get your eye.
Would it help to ice it? I noticed the bruising.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Any time there’s a bird or person too close he takes it out on me. Any time I pay attention to another bird he bites me. But usually he just pecks me. This was a chomp!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am sorry you got bit.
Glad that he didn’t get your eye.
Would it help to ice it? I noticed the bruising.
Yes good idea. It’s bruising up nicely. :D

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I usually put some antibiotic ointment on the puncture wound.
It will probably a little swollen tomorrow.
Take care.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry he but you like that and that it hurts. Luckily it's hardly noticeable; could've been worse and I'm so glad for you it wasn't. I hope it doesn't bruise too badly.

I know this is off topic, but blonde really suits you. Very pretty! I noticed that before I could find the bite. :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Owwwww @finchly Tanya! I can't help but think about if our birds get hurt we're more freaked out about it than when they hurt us! Just sayin... (and the thought might give you a much needed chuckle?) Hope it stops hurting soon! :heart:

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Ouch!!! I'm so sorry he bit you! :( Do you think part of the reason this was a chomp rather than a nibble could be due to spring hormones?

Indy's got some bad hormones. Today he wanted to chew on the laptop, so I blocked it the side of it with my hand. He actually walked across the sofa, climbed up my leg and had a hissy fit in front of my hand and gave me a good nip (even though I didn't move an inch!). I can't remember the last time he has bitten me. Normally he is very good about communicating me, and I respect his space, but this was him very much getting into my space this time! o_O

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Any measures I should take when this happens?
Put John in front? His face has been remodeled a few times already, I don't think he'd notice just one more bite.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Put John in front? His face has been remodeled a few times already, I don't think he'd notice just one more bite.
LOL

Just put him down & walk away when it happens & perhaps no shoulders for a while espec when another bird is near.

Birds bite the ones they love when they want them to stop giving attention to a rival...LOL

It does not look to bad but make sure to wash it well & apply some alcohol peroxide & a dab of antibiotic or that tea tree oil!!!!

Ice is also a good idea to minimize bruising...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch. Sorry you got bit. Hope the area heals fast. Sometimes even with precautions our feathered friends will react to something and unexpectedly bite us. Happens quickly with no warning. Keep Ernie off your shoulder especially if other birds are out.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:rofl: awww poor John :hehe:

Ice would be the best to keep the swelling down and just glad he didn't get closer to your eye.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww, I agree with the others that you could wash with soap and water, maybe a dot of antibiotic and use some ice.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

I know this is off topic, but blonde really suits you. Very pretty! I noticed that before I could find the bite. :)
Thank you! :) and it took me all these years to finally try blonde.

Owwwww @finchly Tanya! I can't help but think about if our birds get hurt we're more freaked out about it than when they hurt us! Just sayin... (and the thought might give you a much needed chuckle?) Hope it stops hurting soon! :heart:
Funny but true:lol:Thanks for the giggle.

Ouch!!! I'm so sorry he bit you! :( Do you think part of the reason this was a chomp rather than a nibble could be due to spring hormones?

Indy's got some bad hormones. Today he wanted to chew on the laptop, so I blocked it the side of it with my hand. He actually walked across the sofa, climbed up my leg and had a hissy fit in front of my hand and gave me a good nip (even though I didn't move an inch!). I can't remember the last time he has bitten me. Normally he is very good about communicating me, and I respect his space, but this was him very much getting into my space this time! o_O
Yes definitely. He hadn’t even been letting me touch him until the last 2 days. I need a big sign “He’s hormonal. Go back to your corner.”

:rofl:
LOL

Just put him down & walk away when it happens & perhaps no shoulders for a while espec when another bird is near.

Birds bite the ones they love when they want them to stop giving attention to a rival...LOL
Usually he just pecks my shoulder with a little grunt.

Ouch. Sorry you got bit. Hope the area heals fast. Sometimes even with precautions our feathered friends will react to something and unexpectedly bite us. Happens quickly with no warning. Keep Ernie off your shoulder especially if other birds are out.
OK.... but he only goes on my shoulder, not my hand or arm, nor the perches.... so it is the shoulder or nothing at all?

I realize this bite is nothing compared to the ones some of you get! And some that I’ve had! I was just shocked, plus it is so close to my eye. Bruising showing up, and I have a bruise on my arm from a bird pinch. Going to a party today where they’ll be whispering about hubby I guess. LOL

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Any time there’s a bird or person too close he takes it out on me. Any time I pay attention to another bird he bites me. But usually he just pecks me. This was a chomp!
It sounds like he may be jealous of you and is trying to scare you away from his competition. As in your "his" girl.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It sounds like he may be jealous of you and is trying to scare you away from his competition. As in your "his" girl.
Exactly.

Cassie was the exact same way...very jealous and very protective of "her man"...me. She bit me on the hand once when I was attempting to hand the phone off to my wife. I don't know if she meant to bite me or to bite my wife but she knew she got me.

I returned her to her cage while I "repaired" my hand...and Cassie said in a sweet little voice, "sorry...sorry"....:heart:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch!! :( Bites are often way more painful than they look, and the face is such a sensitive area! Oh, the bane of life, the birdy jealousy! I hope it heals quickly.