• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Epona the Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I took some pictures of Epona, my BRB in her temporary tub while I cleaned her cage. She's such a good girl. She comes with me to the zoo to do reptile shows. :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
She's a gorgeous girl! What's her temperament like? Rainbows and Dumerils are the only two snakes I'd consider owning- I just love the structure of their heads and the patterning.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Such a healthy sheen!! Beautiful :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wowwwwww beautiful~~

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
She's spectacular!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What a cool pattern, it looks like eyes on her sides. Thanks for sharing.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
woww shes beautiful!

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone :) She is my favorite snake.

She's a gorgeous girl! What's her temperament like? Rainbows and Dumerils are the only two snakes I'd consider owning- I just love the structure of their heads and the patterning.
Rainbows are very shy compared to some other species of boa, so they don't make a stellar display snake in a tank or cage compared to BCC boas like the colombian. In fact, you may never see them out. When you have them out handling them, they like to climb and move a lot, as opposed to other boa species that like to just chill out most of the time or move more slowly.

Rainbows are known for being bitey like the carpet python (mostly as babies), but my rainbow is about 3 or 4 years old now and she hasn't struck at or bitten me yet. I also got her from the best breeder I could find, so that has a lot to do with it I think. When they are babies, they come out striking, so good handling practices usually tame them down early.

They also tend to not be as cage aggressive, but each one is an individual. Two of my bfs rainbows, for example, are not cage aggressive, but dislike handling and will bite you quickly and repeatedly. They were not handled well as babies though and were rescued from negligent owners, so again, it depends on the snake and where you get it.

Dumerils...I haven't met a nice one, but since I don't own one, I can't reeeallly attest to their disposition overall. From what I hear, they are nastier and more bitey than a rainbow. They remind me of blood pythons in personality and strength.

Not sure what your reasons are for a dumerils, but if size and temperament are an issue, I'd go with a dwarf locality like a Hog Island or crawl or caulkers cay boa.

Oh...and you may already know this, but it's very important and for the snakes sake I have to say this to every prospective rainbow owner. If you get a rainbow, do not put their hot spot temp past 85 degrees. They need a much lower temp than other boas and need high humidity. I've seen people kill their rainbows by keeping them in fish tanks (lack of humidity) and also keeping them at too high a temp. I can give you a great caresheet for rainbows if that's what you decide to get (there are a lot of crappy ones out there).

Hope this helps! Sorry it's a bit of a novel lol I'm passionate about snakes. ;)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is beautiful!

Matt

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone :) She is my favorite snake.

Rainbows are very shy compared to some other species of boa, so they don't make a stellar display snake in a tank or cage compared to BCC boas like the colombian. In fact, you may never see them out. When you have them out handling them, they like to climb and move a lot, as opposed to other boa species that like to just chill out most of the time or move more slowly....
Thank you for all the information! Trust me, much like with my birds (and dogs and cats) no critter comes into my home without LOTS of research on proper husbandry. "Aggression" in snakes is pretty much a non-issue in my mind. Much like my Jasper, I figure they're wild animals that we have taken into our homes, so we shouldn't be at all surprised if they act like it, and it's up to us humans to adapt.

My friend has a lovely Dumerils, which is why I'm attracted to them. She can be bitey/strikey if she's shedding or hungry or just in a mood, but she's a gorgeous girl who allows herself to be handled so long as you do it properly and with respect. I haven't had the chance to meet any Rainbows in person yet though. Just vicariously through pictures!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow- she is just really pretty!

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Thank you for all the information! Trust me, much like with my birds (and dogs and cats) no critter comes into my home without LOTS of research on proper husbandry. "Aggression" in snakes is pretty much a non-issue in my mind. Much like my Jasper, I figure they're wild animals that we have taken into our homes, so we shouldn't be at all surprised if they act like it, and it's up to us humans to adapt.

My friend has a lovely Dumerils, which is why I'm attracted to them. She can be bitey/strikey if she's shedding or hungry or just in a mood, but she's a gorgeous girl who allows herself to be handled so long as you do it properly and with respect. I haven't had the chance to meet any Rainbows in person yet though. Just vicariously through pictures!
You have the perfect attitude going into this :) Most people just go out and buy them and then forget they are not domesticated and act on instinct. Then when it starts bluffing, biting, striking, not eating etc, they ditch the snake or the snake ends up neglected from lack of handling or they take it personally. I see rainbows, tree pythons and boas and dumerils as the cokcatoos, large macaws and hot 3 'zons of the snake world. I'm sure you can relate! The way you approach Jasper and respect and love him for what he is, hormones and all, will make you an excellent snake owner, especially for those particular species.

I hope you post pictures of whichever one you get! :)

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
SO beautiful!
My dad was phobic of snakes, but one day I smuggled one in. Forget the exact circumstances, but someone was threatening to squish its head with a rock. I brought it home, and it quickly outgrew my tank and when I knew I'd have to upgrade I had to break the news to my dad. Dizerae had to go!

Turns out after doing some research she was a Green Burmese which apparently can get quite large :eek: I found a sanctuary out in KY that said they would take her, and they had a transport come and pick her up. Definitely not the kind of snake a 15 year old should have, anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.