• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Enrichment thread

EPS

Meeting neighbors
Also if you are ever eating a coconut, try to keep the shell intact. I drilled a hole in it and now it holds their foot toys. It is more challenging to get their toys out of this because it is swinging and turning.
View attachment 271481
Another thing that others might find usefull, it saving all plastic tubs that could make a foraging area like this:
View attachment 271482
Hey there @TikiMyn! How do you ensure the coconut shell is free of any chemicals? And how do you clean the rocks?

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@TikiMyn ! I love the plastic tub forrager and will try the coconut! That's cool!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hey there @TikiMyn! How do you ensure the coconut shell is free of any chemicals? And how do you clean the rocks?
I used organic coconuts from my farmers market, after removing the meat I soaked it in cleaning solution and then used it. My birds don’t chew it though. The rocks I soak and wash in what I normally use for cleaning too:) I do that about every week. Sometimes I use a Dutch cleaning brand, other times a solution of water and vinegar. I have heard of people using backing soda and Lemon juice in combination with water too, but not sure about that! Hope this helped a bit:D
@TikiMyn ! I love the plastic tub forrager and will try the coconut! That's cool!
Thanks!:heart:

For the smaller birds this is fun too, it is really easy to do. All you need is a cardboard roll and a coffeefilter. As I am Terrible at explaining these things I just went with pics:lol:
image.jpg
The first one has a coffeefilter inside with a bit of food, the other are to show how to insert the rings into Each other.

I do this for my rabbits in a bigger version, but the birds enjoy it too. I only had a piece of scrappy cardboard, sorry about that:lol: D315FB8F-E25B-4091-93BE-13B3E1E73C8A.jpeg
Cut three circles image.jpg Cut a short cut in the first, a longer one in the second(those should fit in Each other), also cut a very short cut in the second one on the other side. I forgot to do that.
image.jpg
Fit the first to pieces together.
image.jpg
Add the third piece. Then you could insert Some sunflower seeds into the holes of the cardboard to make it more fun.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
20170718_123507.jpg 20180507_112406.jpg
I do buy wood and cut myself, I'm just looking for other ideas. I like the idea of cardboard. Zeus moves through everything with mega speed.
So does my Isabelle, I get natural tree logs with bark still attached from our local Veterans park, eucalyptus and pine. I asked the park maintenance permission to haul away very large forked branches .I then clean them well and hose off,then let dry in the sun to kill any fungus and bacteria. Here's one I put across their java tree . They love to shred and tear off the bark.
They also have large forked branches for their outdoor aviary too. Serve multipurpose chewing and perching, climbing.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Just-passn-thru - Neat idea. My birds might like the bark. :)
I do a bleach wash...bleach neutralizes within an hour in full sunlight I rotate the branches throughout the day.
Ratio for disinfecting...

Make a disinfecting solution (3/4 cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach in a gallon of water); wash or wipe this solution on the surface; allow to stand for at least 5 minutes; rinse and air dry. You

How do you clean them? I’m super paranoid about giving them a bad branch.

And super adorable ‘Toos.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Just-passn-thru - Neat idea. My birds might like the bark. :)

How do you clean them? I’m super paranoid about giving them a bad branch.

And super adorable ‘Toos.

a safe way to collect branches is to find logs and branches away from highways and roadways that may be contaminated. In wooded un-industrealized areas .

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
View attachment 276369 View attachment 276367
So does my Isabelle, I get natural tree logs with bark still attached from our local Veterans park, eucalyptus and pine. I asked the park maintenance permission to haul away very large forked branches .I then clean them well and hose off,then let dry in the sun to kill any fungus and bacteria. Here's one I put across their java tree . They love to shred and tear off the bark.
They also have large forked branches for their outdoor aviary too. Serve multipurpose chewing and perching, climbing.
I noticed my Freddy peels everything, so I know he would LOVE a tree branch. I have magnolia in my yard. Would you also disinfect anything in your own yard too, or just something found in other places?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
View attachment 276369 View attachment 276367
These birds are magnificent! Just beautiful!!