• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Enough toys to keep my budgie(s) happy?

birbfriendios

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dodie
So, I've been looking into getting my budgie a larger cage and a few new toys, keeping in mind the fact that we're most likely going to be getting her a cage mate (also a budgie) in the near future.
Here are the toys and perches I plan to have in their new cage:

1x swing
3x wooden perches
2x rope perches (one inside and one outside the cage)
1x nail-trimming perch
1x climbing net
2x ladders
1x chewable toy with bells
1x edible mineral type toy (also had a bell)

Do I need more? Or is this enough to keep them happy and healthy?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They need toys that they can destroy! Toys with balsa, cork, mahogany, and are other soft materials are often enjoyed by budgies. You'll want to have some you can rotate in so that they don't get bored :)

Also foraging toys are a great idea and honestly something I think is a vital addition for all birds!

If you want some ideas of what I mean, I have a shop that caters to small birds: Welcome to Lil Monsters Bird Toys - Specializing in Toys for Small Parrots and Animals

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
In my budgie's cage, I have several perches, 2 are rope, 1 is grapewood, 1 is a concrete pediperch, and 4 are manzanita. I also have 2 wooden platforms, 1 cork bark platform, and 1 bed thing I made, with bird safe fleece and a little plastic thing I got from walmart. He has a seagrass hut too, which he likes to hide in sometimes.

As far as toys, my bird has several foraging toys, almost anything can become a foraging opportunity if you think a bit. His favorite is a little flat basket at the bottom of his cage, it's filled with toy parts and he'll fling them out to get the food.

All other toys, I just put as many as I can in there. Of course, he still has lots of room, but also he has lots to do so he's never bored. I have even more in his play area upstairs.

I mostly buy from the vendors here, I find my budgie doesn't like most store-bought toys (from the major chains anyway, I've found some favorites at my local specialty bird store). I have a bunch of toys from @Mizzely , Chirp especially loves the foraging dinos (Chirp isn't big on regular toys but he loves to forage.) I also buy from @Jan , she has awesome stainless steel toys that Chirp loves.

I feel like you can't have too many toys, even if you have more than you can put in at one time, you can always swap them out.