• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

EMERGENT! I NEED HELP!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
How is he doing today?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How is your little lovebird today? Any news or changes?

ArrabellaBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Sacha
@Shezbug and @Garet , thanks for the concern, he is doing quite well, eating and drinking, he sleeps and is kept warm, all day. Nothing new. I think he would be happy, to know you are all concerned about him! :ashamed1:

- From the beloved Arrabella Aviary :budgie:Jade, :budgie8:Emerald, :budgie9:Skye, :budgie8:Dusty, :tiel4:Poppy, :tiel4:??, :tiel2:Oscar, :rflb:?, :rflb:?, :rflb:Cleo, :ypflb:Arrow, :ypflb:Luna, :gal2:Freebrie.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sorry I can't be of much help. But maybe someone here may know of something with antibiotic properties? I'd think infection could be a worry.
Glad though he seems to be doing ok.

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Read through this thread and a pet getting hurt is one if the worst kinds of worry! Glad he’s doing good now though :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Good to hear, thanks for the update :)

ArrabellaBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Sacha
Guys!! I convinced my parents! I took Arrow to the vet and they gave me some medication for him, a cream and some anti-biotics. Everyday I rub the cream on him and feed him the medication (It's pretty hard). The vet told me his toe may fall off, (His toe circulation was cut off), effecting his balance. Other than that, he is doing so much better!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awesome news! So glad you got to the vet, and the medication will help a lot. :)

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Oh thank heck. I'm sooooooo glad your family finally saw reason and took him to the vet.

It's okay, he'll be able to get around just fine without his toe. Lovebirds are pretty tough, adaptable little guys. Once that toe sorts itself out one way or the other, it's gonna be like it was never there in the first place.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey @Arabellabirds I noticed one of your cockatiels doesn't have a name. How come?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay! I’m glad you were able to take him to the vet and that he will be okay!

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I would definately recommend calling the vet for advice. You never know, the vet might treat for free since you are a minor. Maybe the vet will let you have a payment plan. But for now, clean the areas well, including the injury under the wing. I would use soap and water gently. Keep watch for infection. But it should be ok if you keep the wounds clean. I am cautious to use anything else because you don't know if an ingredient would be toxic to the bird. OR I would try peroxide to the wounds. Just pour a little over so you don't have to touch the wound and pat dry. Betadine is red and may prevent from seeing infection plus I think it stings. The other thing is to keep the bird from picking at the wounds until they can heal. Try putting something like a snug sock around his body so he cannot get to picking. Keep him warm and comfortable. Make sure he is eating/drinking.

Good luck

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@ArrabellaBirds, that is so good to hear. I am glad your parents took you and Arrow to the vet, hopefully arrow will be healed up soon and feeling good again:)

@Barbara jasko, peroxide is not a good choice of product to use as it harms tissue and slows healing please be very careful even using it on yourself. Also ArrabellaBirds has actually taken her bird to the vet and received vet care and prescriptions for her bird.

ArrabellaBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Sacha
Hi there @finchly ! Yes, one of our new cockatiels do not have a name, well, we actually forgot it... oops. He is a very shy boy, but he loves to sing with his girlfriend Poppy. I'm not sure what to name him, We also have 2 lovebirds with no names yet. Eventually, they will receive one.

Last edited: