• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent EMERGENCY BLOOD CAKED BUDGIE

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Woke up this morning to find my budgie Teeka had large amounts of blood caked to her chest and bloody footprints all over her perch. Currently cleaning the blood away and cannot find any visible cut or damage, but she does seem very shaken. She is no longer bleeding, but I am very very worried and the most she's bled is one time when her quick got cut. She is now acting very docile and sleepy, accepting plenty of pets and perching on my shoulder, but wont try to clesn the blood herselfm but IMG_20200509_134009.jpg blood is pretty caked in her feathers and taking a while to get out. I live it a small town and there are no vets I'm any town near me that helps birds. I'm so scared, is she going to be okay?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
None of us have any idea whether she will be ok or not. You need to locate the source of the blood and make sure their isn't a wound causing it.

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Sorry it seems she will be okay. Cleaned the blood away and found a small cut. She is no longer bleeding and preening herself just fine. Called the closest avian vet (2 hours away) and shebsaid she should be fine as long as long e give her lots of water and keep a close eye on her to make sure it doesn't open back up

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If she starts bleeding again, gently press corn flour on and call the vet as you are on your way there.

For now, monitor closely, keep your bird nice and calm and relaxed. Hopefully she will heal fine :)

Another thing is to search the cage and figure out what caused the wound so that you can make alterations so this doesn´t happen again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you found the source of the bleeding and that she is no longer bleeding. Keep an eye on her.
As per @Zara check through everything in her cage and determine if there is anything that could have caused the injury.
Sharp edges to cage bars, sharp parts of toys, etc.

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
We found the source of the wound and promptly removed it from the cage. She chewed her cuttle bone into a point and cut herself on it. Been keeping a close eye on her for a few hours and the cut hasn't reopened and she's happily singing and climbing around her cage with our 2nd budgie. Thanks for all the suggestions, she should get through just fine! :)

She is having trouble preening the clumped blood though, wondering if anyone has any tips to help her clean it off without hurting her or risking reopening the cut

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you found the culprit.
You can moisten a soft washcloth or hand towel with warm water (towel should be damp and not dripping wet) and gently wipe off the blood but be very careful that you don't re-open the wound. Be extra gentle and don't stress her out. You may have to just wipe off a little bit at a time and then let her rest and then repeat.